Beer Thread

Cisse

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Enjoy it yourself. A dubbel is basically like a brown ale - sweet and malty.

I feel like a fraud though. I appreciate your appreciation for these kind of things hence wanting to gift it to your goodself. 

Its a similar mindset to someone never going to Pride Park but blagging a Wembley ticket for the play offs! ?

On 31/12/2020 at 13:38, Eddie said:

Just done some calculation - if I import 24 bottles of Belgian beer at 9% abv, I will have to pay HMRC almost £18 in duty - and that's before the increase in shipping costs etc which will be loaded on to pay for the additional administration and paperwork.

Thanks, B-worders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55530721

10 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Yep. I was the person (ok, probably one of many) who got the BBC fact-checkers to look into it a couple of days ago. There are 4 or 5 sites I usually use who have currently suspended shipments to the UK. This HMRC nonsense basically kill the chance of anyone buying anything online and getting it shipped from Europe. 

Just a heads-up - a Belgian friend reckons that BIAB are no more, have gone out of business, have ceased to be.

I used them for about 10 years without problems, but around November 2019 they started having problems. I think they expanded when they just weren't really ready to, and never really caught up.

Luckily, all my outstanding orders came through a couple of weeks before Christmas (about £400 worth), but I know people who weren't so lucky. If you have an outstanding order, put a claim in through Paypal or your credit card - pronto.

Following the latest lockdown rules, pubs that were doing take away beer or running as bottle shops are apparently no longer allowed to. If you check social media channels you'll see many are now offering home delivery instead as this is permitted by the rules. Brunswick, Smithfield, Mickleover sports are just a few examples.

If you're in a position to support your local pub this might be a good way to do it. Bit pricier than the supermarkets but also the bonus of fresh draught beer in containers ?

Unfortunately my business is importing and installing high value industrial inspection equipment from Germany.

It nothing short of a disaster. I'm mid way through a project with a Northern Ireland company who are having a machine built in Italy. It's now easier for the NI company to deal with Italy than with me just over the Irish Sea.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

35% extra on beers. So much for 'free trade'. Basically, we will have to pay 20% VAT on all imports on top of alcohol duty which itself amounts to around 75p per 33 cl bottle of beer.

We need to ship some monks over pronto.

59 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We need to ship some monks over pronto.

I get a regular supply of Tynt Meadow, but that's the only beer they brew at Mt St Bernard Monastery. If they did a tripel and a quad, life would be a whole lot less fretful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2021 at 19:45, Eddie said:

35% extra on beers. So much for 'free trade'. Basically, we will have to pay 20% VAT on all imports on top of alcohol duty which itself amounts to around 75p per 33 cl bottle of beer.

Yes we are tariff free but duty now applies. 

Don't remember that on the bus.

On 22/11/2020 at 19:40, Eddie said:

Just opened our first BIAB order for a while (two arrived on Friday - opened one today and will leave the other one for a few days yet).

I too was the recipient of a prezzy - a 75 cl bottle of Gulden Draak Brewmaster 2019.

He must be desperate to keep my custom.

Wow Eddie, obviously not breaking any rules but with your stance on covidiot s im really surprised you would put people at risk special ordering  ( from abroad?) with all the dangers that puts workers and drivers in ,something so non essential and self gratifying as foreign BEER ????? , personally no problem with it but maybe takes some padding from under the saddle of a high horse in the spirit of doing all we can to not put others lives at risk

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Wow Eddie, obviously not breaking any rules but with your stance on covidiot s im really surprised you would put people at risk special ordering  ( from abroad?) with all the dangers that puts workers and drivers in ,something so non essential and self gratifying as foreign BEER ????? , personally no problem with it but maybe takes some padding from under the saddle of a high horse in the spirit of doing all we can to not put others lives at risk

Every beer order that comes into our house, whether it comes from overseas (well, that's not happening any more because of the 'patriotic' clowns) or the UK, is quarantined for three days, then each individual bottle is wiped down with a dilute bleach solution before being moved into the beer store. The same approach is taken with our food which is delivered from Tesco. Perishables have their bags wiped (if they are bagged, of course) and are moved to the quarantine refrigerator upstairs. Tins and bottles get the same treatment as the beer.

I can think of a number of crosses that you might wish to die on, but to tell the truth, I find it difficult to come up with a more ridiculous and pathetic one. Still, keep trying. The day's young yet.