Beer Thread

Cisse

9 hours ago, sage said:

Yes we are tariff free but duty now applies. 

Don't remember that on the bus.

Tesco seem to have stopped selling Tripel Karmeleit. It disappeared from the selectable items on the website last week.

Luckily, I have a razor blade left.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Every beer order that comes into our house, whether it comes from overseas (well, that's not happening any more because of the 'patriotic' clowns) or the UK, is quarantined for three days, then each individual bottle is wiped down with a dilute bleach solution before being moved into the beer store. The same approach is taken with our food which is delivered from Tesco. Perishables have their bags wiped (if they are bagged, of course) and are moved to the quarantine refrigerator upstairs. Tins and bottles get the same treatment as the beer.

I can think of a number of crosses that you might wish to die on, but to tell the truth, I find it difficult to come up with a more ridiculous and pathetic one. Still, keep trying. The day's young yet.

Was more thinking of the lives of those filling the orders and getting them to you but good to see your only consideration was keeping you safe ?

All you dirty buggers that like drinking this real ale stuff - Don't know if your aware of this

National supermarket chain Aldi is selling a Derby company's beer to stop it going to waste.

The German retailer has joined forces with 13 British brewing companies to sell alcohol that would normally have gone directly to pubs.

Among those in the scheme is Derby Brewing, which is supplying its "Business as Usual" beer to the supermarket.

The malt beer, which has won regional awards, went on sale in Aldi stores on Thursday, January 28, and is available at £1.49 for a 500ml bottle.

Other brews going on sale in Aldi include golden ales, IPAs and bitters, sourced from local breweries around the UK.

Paul Harris, managing director at Derby Brewing, said it was great to be able to find a use for the beer in a year that his seen its main sources of income taken away by lockdowns and the Covid pandemic.

"It's been a really difficult year for us," he said. "As brewers, we take pride in our beer and our craft.

"It would have been terrible to see it go to waste so it's a massive boost for us that Aldi is taking on our excess stock and supplying our award-winning beer to punters across the UK.

55 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

All you dirty buggers that like drinking this real ale stuff - Don't know if your aware of this

National supermarket chain Aldi is selling a Derby company's beer to stop it going to waste.

The German retailer has joined forces with 13 British brewing companies to sell alcohol that would normally have gone directly to pubs.

Among those in the scheme is Derby Brewing, which is supplying its "Business as Usual" beer to the supermarket.

The malt beer, which has won regional awards, went on sale in Aldi stores on Thursday, January 28, and is available at £1.49 for a 500ml bottle.

Other brews going on sale in Aldi include golden ales, IPAs and bitters, sourced from local breweries around the UK.

Paul Harris, managing director at Derby Brewing, said it was great to be able to find a use for the beer in a year that his seen its main sources of income taken away by lockdowns and the Covid pandemic.

"It's been a really difficult year for us," he said. "As brewers, we take pride in our beer and our craft.

"It would have been terrible to see it go to waste so it's a massive boost for us that Aldi is taking on our excess stock and supplying our award-winning beer to punters across the UK.

This is 'usually' the pint I have in the Brunswick pre match, so maybe I could simulate the build up to the game on Saturday in my living room. Just need to source some cheese rolls and pork pie now.

Both excellent beers to be fair!

I'll be getting a delivery from the Brunswick now that payday has been I think. They have an imperial stout called "**** you 2020" which I'd like try!

I got a few bottles of Quintessential from aldi at £1.69 each last week, great beer and great price ? 

48 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Is it?

Shall we play Spot The Difference?

d54b6c08776107ef5cbeb00f225694b8_raw.jpg

085b179d48417d48e73d4ff5942cb331_raw.jpg

I have a mate who takes me too all these micro breweries and back street boozers selling obscure ales when I'm out with him.  Some of them I'm expecting to be asked a password to get in .  The reason he does this - he has something on his phone were he takes pictures like this to track the real ales he's had.  Like the masons but more sinister.?

12 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

This is 'usually' the pint I have in the Brunswick pre match, so maybe I could simulate the build up to the game on Saturday in my living room. Just need to source some cheese rolls and pork pie now.

I'm a dab hand at pork pies now. I've made 4.

Having a first-time beer tonight - Corsendonk Dubbel Kriek.

Most of the krieks I like tend to be lambic (i.e. spontaneous fermentation, beers like Boon, Mort Subite, Cantillon etc) and they all seem to be in the order of 4-5% abv. The Corsendonk one is a bit of an alcoholic monster in comparison, weighing in at 8.5%. Saying that, I'm not sure whether I will buy any more. Think cherry coke with a vodka in it. It lacks any character, any subtlety, apart from the finish which is very dry and pleasantly tart.

5/10.

Edited by Eddie

Followed up by a second chance for a beer I first tried just before Christmas - Ridgeway Imperial Barley Wine

This is another one of those 'crossover' beers that some purists despise. I first tried it a month or so ago - vintage 2015 - and I must confess it's growing on me. Then again, so do warts and verrucas.

It pours beautifully clear amber, with a head that forms nice lacing on the glass. The nose is very malty - a hint of whisky, perhaps, but the taste is caramel, toffee and a bit of sugar. All very typical and familiar barley wine territory, but there is a lovely long earthiness from the hops (fuggles or goldings? none of your new-fangled challenger or citra fruit bombs) which you don't normally expect. Similarly, it is not overly sweet the way your typical barley wines are. This is much more rugged.

I wasn't that keen first time around, but I'm definitely liking it tonight.

8/10.

1 minute ago, abertawe_ram said:

I was planning on having this for the 2nd half tonight, but the disappointment of the postponement has convinced me to crack it open earlier! A tasty wee dram

20210202_184023-min.jpg

Got a few in the corner, including the black cap version. Both are excellent. £6 for 4 bottles from Tesco, it'd be rude not to.

I shared a bottle of Kloster Andechs Doppelbock Dunkel with the Memsahib earlier today. Boy, what an absolutely fabulous beer. I was even inspired to review it (I write lots of reviews for Beers of Europe, and get a few free bottles off them)...

If I was told that I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, and this Doppelbock was it, I wouldn't complain. It is a fantastic beer, so complex with so much going on. The pour is typical of the style - deep mahogany brown which glows almost red when you hold it up to the light, and a lovely velvety beige head deep enough to paint anyone's moustache. The smell is incredible - acrid hops, chocolate, caramel, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, Christmas Pudding and so much fruity, spicy goodness. Now the taste - WOW!! Chocolate, toffee, figs, prunes and coffee - not the instant stuff but a great coffee made with fresh grounds - the sweetness is there but subdued, and the warming alcohol reaches all the parts you want it to. Nothing in the mouthfeel or the aftertaste subdue this magnificent beer - silky-smooth and goes on for ever. Simply perfect.

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I shared a bottle of Kloster Andechs Doppelbock Dunkel with the Memsahib earlier today. Boy, what an absolutely fabulous beer. I was even inspired to review it (I write lots of reviews for Beers of Europe, and get a few free bottles off them)...

A very eloquent review and certainly makes me want to try it!

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Make sure you save some for the cricket season.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What a coincidence!!!! we drank a bottle of this tonight and my wife Kristin reviewed it on the Beers Of Europe website. What a fantastic beer. Can also recommend the Kloster Scheyern Doppelbock which we had the other day