Derby County vs Newcastle United

SouthernRam

54 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

if you'd looked before you posted, then made out that you hadn't looked, you could have made yourself look incredibly clever!

I'd rather be honest about my intelligence levels!! Don't wanna pull the wool over anyones eyes!

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a disappointing game but i saw some positives, better than the Burton performance at least.  The two new players look good and Wilson looked half decent in the second half. Not sure about playing the midfield so deep with the players we have but Pearson has a plan, whatever it is.  That being said, Carson should have pounced on that ball.

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

We got  points v Preston, but I totally get what you mean and agree, the season starts now.

Yes .. I suppose I meant a decent home win with a couple of goals to shout about and put some fuel in the optimism tank.

i loath the "we lost" feeling that lingers for 2-3 days but curiously it doesn't seem to bad today .. I though Vydras movement was great, he looked strong and skilled with the ball at his feet. Not just playing on the shoulder but a footballer as well. I was worried about Wilson in the first half because he seemed anonymous but he came in to the game in the second half with some nice touches and runs. Newcastle have some good players and picked up on our errors but they didn't have anything that would make me green with envy. 

in the end a great volley from the corner and a penalty decision was all that separated us from the most likely title contenders. 

Thought the team competed today against what was a really well organised and tactically astute Newcastle side. The endeavour isn't in question but the improvement in attack minded play that I expected off the back of some really poor performances just didn't arrive sadly and i'm beginning to show concerns.

IMO we are becoming such an easy and predictable side to play against and I think teams can come to the iPro, contain us relatively easily and they will always have an opportunity or two to nick a goal. This is my worry.

We neither attack teams from the off and put them under pressure nor do we soak up pressure and hit clinically on the break. I literally have zero idea what Pearson is attempting to achieve here. I fully support him however.

Two key aspects of our season thus far that are contributing to our mind numbing mundaneness.

There is no width. Anya today played well and he'll improve. I noticed first half especially that each time he got into a dangerous position on the wing, Newcastle doubled up on him so he had no option but to play the ball back. As a result we barely got behind them and everything once again, was played around in front of the oppositions back four. No threat, easy to defend against. Having our first real shot at goal after 68 minutes is unacceptable. I like Anya and think he'll be a good signing.

Secondly. Movement. There is absolutely no movement from forward minded players and they give the midfield no options but to go sideways or back again. The spark, drive, energy and movement from some of our players is non existent and contributes to the tempo of the game being slower and the predictability of our passing.

Today could have easily been a 0-0. It's easy to forget that Newcastle were just as poor as we were and had limited opportunities so we were by no means overawed, just that they took their chances when they came around. A 0-0 and a poor performance in isolation against a side like Newcastle I have no problem with, but it was the same v Brighton and Villa too and when you add to that pretty difficult evenings in both cup ties against league 2 opponents and our poor away performances generally then yes, i'm very worried.

I actually thought Wilson did well contrary to some others opinions, Shackell made errors yes but nothing costly and some of the comments around me were ridiculous. I just think we do have a solid easy top 10 Championship squad of players that for whatever reason are not performing anywhere near what they are capable of.

Did enjoy today weirdly. Great effort for the flags in the NS. Appreciated. Great effort and fan behaviour / support in the NS around me too. A credit to yourselves and the club.

My mate and I both chucked a few quid in the collection buckets for the suicide prevention day thingy and had a nice chat with them. Amazing effort from them to go out of their way to support a great cause.

Just a shame about the performance and result.

Geordies today were fantastic. A bit chalk and cheese for me. Some are really amazingly friendly dedicated fans and some are just drunken knuckledraggers. Why take your shirt off when you went 1 up? It was your TEAM that scored , not YOU!! :angry: 

To quote words of my hero Alan Partridge, "put your top back on and get out!!"  :lol:

Surely, surely we can create some chances against Ipswich?!! Surely?!!

2 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Newcastle and villa were relegated for reasons which have nothing to do with their prospects this season. Newcastle had a number of prima Donna players , some of who they have sold for vast sums of money. They have strengthened the team sensibly with top championship players. They are the best team in this league and will be promoted for sure. They are not world beaters... They gave the ball away several times today and a better team than the Rams would have capitalised. But they are easily good enough for promotion.

villa were starved of investment under the previous owners. That isn't the case now... They will challenge for promotion I think. They are better than the Rams who I agree face a season of struggle this year. I am not convinced that Pearson will be given a second year unless things do improve drastically on the first few games. 

I agree with most of what you say. They will both be up there come the end of the season as they have bought well and will be a different proposition. I just don't think, from what I've seen, that they are anything to be afraid of or have squads bursting with Premier League players/quality is all. As you say, had Derby been better on the day the results may have been different. 

All about opinions though...

Dreadful, today was dreadful, again! Let's  not dress it up it was poor, weak central midfield, back 4 who constantly gave the ball away and a winger who hasn't beat a man in at least the last 9 months stumbling into every Newcastle player he went near . We've gave away the best CF we've had in a decade and the only back up we have is Bent and Blackman (who nearly hit the corner flag in the 2nd half with his only touch of the game). I keep reading be patient, we're rebuilding. Rebuilding what? We challenged the top 6 for 3 years, now what, I've been to all the league home games and two away and haven't seen a goal?!?!? What exactly are we rebuilding, to me it's destroying not rebuilding. I won't boo and I'll give NP time, but so far we've ruined all the good Nigel and Steve did and gone back 5yrs. But hey ho roll on Ipswich COYR

Thoughts:

First 20 minutes were good, pressing high up the pitch. Couldn't tell if it was offside from my very poor viewpoint. Didn't look like a penalty on Olsson, thought he made the most of it. I actually thought that the ref had a pretty good match, apart from the odd decision I don't think he got anything major wrong.

Then Newcastle worked us out/our forwards and wingers stopped offfering themselves for the ball. They scored a cracking goal from a corner where Wilson lost his man (if he keeps doing that he won't get many more minutes on the pitch). We then went in our shell and Hughes and Bryson dropped deeper and deeper to get the ball.

Second half was like the first half really - a good first 20 minutes followed by dull, dull football. I keep saying 'good'. It strikes me as depressing and sad that my expectations for this team have fallen so far that I was really happy with the first 20 minutes.

Random stray observations that have popped into my head:

Everyone knows Shackell is poor on the ball, but he was bad defensively as well today. Keogh bailed him out of jail time and time again today. He looked slow of mind and slow of feet.

Russell tried hard as he aways does, but his quality was sorely lacking today, like it has been for a lot of this season.

Blackman comes on and immediately blasts it out closer to the corner flag than the goal. Hopeless.

Olsson I know has to contend with Shackell's constant passing behind him, but there were times today when he should have simply taken a touch and opened his body up. Instead his touch forced him back towards our own goal. I miss Forsyth.

Wilson. On the one hand I was impressed with his running (which should be a minimum in Pearsons team) I can't say the same for much else. Needs to learn when to release the ball, looks lightweight, not particularly fast and needs to track his man at set pieces. I know he's young, but I'm just calling it how I saw it.

Anya. Looked tired (possibly after international duty). Doesn't look like an intellligent footballer - e.g. Vydra picked the ball up in the second half near the byline and was begging for some support. Anya just stood still, not even attempting to offer for the ball. Like the Watford fan warned us, ballooned crosses and first man crosses, but no quality crosses. Early days though, so hopefully he'll improve.

Vydra. Was impressed with the little I saw of him. Looks nippy, and likes to turn people. Would like to see more of him, he seems like our best buy this summer (which he should be given the amount of money we spent on him).

Keogh. What a performance. Covered three positions today and was the only player on the pitch making incisive passes. View was blocked for the last goal so I'm not too sure what his part in it was, but I won't blame him too much given he was basically playing at the back on his own at that point.

Christie. Once again flatters to deceive going forward. A natural athlete with no footballing intelligence whatsoever. Runs to the 18 yard box and stops dead in his tracks. So frustrating.

Saw lots of crosses going into the 18 yard box - none of which were great - it made me think. If we are going to be whipping crosses in all season and hoofing long balls, like it seems we will be, why did we get rid of our best player in the air? Vydra would've loved a Martin next to him today instead of Wilson who I think got in his way a bit.

I thought Newcastle were very comfortable. Never had to get out of first gear an for all of our toil and hard work, we never really looked like threatening them.

Is it too early to make a 'Why did we sign Anya thread?'

What is the point in signing a pacey winger, instructing him to get to the by-line and cross it into the box for our non-threatening strikers Vydra and James Wilson to get on the end of?

I heard one of the commentators talking about Wilson being tall and useful at getting on the end of things. The guy is 5ft 11inch (same as Vydra), up against 6ft plus centre-backs who live for those floated crosses.

I found this tactic so totally and utterly pointless. We were never going to get any joy out of that whatsoever, so why even bother trying to get the ball wide and in behind the fullbacks?

Chris Martin was allegedly poor at headers by a good few on here, but I'd wager he's scored more goals with his head in a Rams shirt than both Wilson and Vydra put together in their entire career.

Said it earlier, but Pearson's tactics are so inept so far it's mind-boggling.

I lost count of the times I saw both Hughes and Bryson possession, in areas far too deep, with a great big gaping hole in-front of them and then our two forwards pretty much in a straight line waiting for the ball.

Playing between the lines was never on. It was so easy for Newcastle. The only time we ever looked like going somewhere was when Keogh of all people burst through into space, the space where an attacking midfielder or creative player should be looking to receive the ball.

So we then went wide, which resulted in Christie or Russell losing the ball, or Olsson or Anya hitting the byline before putting in a cross our forwards were never, ever going to win.

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Pearson is still fighting fires, some of which are of his very own making. With the quality we have, I just can't see us not coming good eventually. But it might take another 12-15 games before we truly click.

We need to give Pearson time but we also need to see some green shoots of recovery soon. An encouraging and uplifting performance is paramount to kickstart our season - here's hoping it comes on Tuesday night.

The first para bothers nne cos after another 15 games we're more or less half way through the season. Why is it reasonable to wait so long for a few new  ideas to sink in? 

There are other clubs eg wolves who have made more widespread changes than we have,  but who seem to have managed to grasp things pretty quickly.

Our form is more like that of the hapless Blackburn who have probably the worst owners in the division whereas we have got the genial mels millions. 

I really wasn't expecting us to fall so far so quickly. And all the revisionist theories about "cancers " that need surgery,  well I don't remember any such talk emerging prior to pearson's appointment. 

At present he is looking like someone who is making poor decisions. In terms of hiring coaches, teaching skills, building mental strength,  designing tactics.  Too early to comment on his talent spotting skills but hopefully these are good. 

Need some positivity to return soon or we could be spending the season looking for big 6 pointers against Blackburn,  Preston and Rotherham. Unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

What is the point in signing a pacey winger, instructing him to get to the by-line and cross it into the box for our non-threatening strikers Vydra and James Wilson to get on the end of?

I heard one of the commentators talking about Wilson being tall and useful at getting on the end of things. The guy is 5ft 11inch (same as Vydra), up against 6ft plus centre-backs who live for those floated crosses.

I found this tactic so totally and utterly pointless. We were never going to get any joy out of that whatsoever, so why even bother trying to get the ball wide and in behind the fullbacks?

Chris Martin was allegedly poor at headers by a good few on here, but I'd wager he's scored more goals with his head in a Rams shirt than both Wilson and Vydra put together in their entire career.

I lost count of the times I saw both Hughes and Bryson possession, in areas far too deep, with a great big gaping hole in-front of them and then our two forwards pretty much in a straight line waiting for the ball.

Playing between the lines was never on. It was so easy for Newcastle. The only time we ever looked like going somewhere was when Keogh of all people burst through into space, the space where an attacking midfielder or creative player should be looking to receive the ball.

So we then went wide, which resulted in Christie or Russell losing the ball, or Olsson or Anya hitting the byline before putting in a cross our forwards were never, ever going to win.

I agree. If the plan is to play two wide men in a four man midfield and their role is to work with the full-backs to effect crosses then why not pick Bent as the best of a motley bunch in aerial terms?

If we revert to three more central midfielders, there's a greater chance of them finding Vydra, Wilson and Anya along the ground.

Russell and Ince seem surplus to requirements at the moment and unless Camara develops a footballing brain to match his undoubted pace and skill, I can't see the point of playing him either.

Blackman is woeful. Anyone can be excused a lack of confidence but the guy doesn't even take up good positions. He's an imposter.

I saw enough flashes yesterday when we played with pace to suggest we have hope. 

But the players need to understand how to work together.

Rubbish game of football. I thought we cancelled each other out & a 0-0 bore draw was probably a more fair result. 

We had a chance to throw a cross in and some how we ended up passing it all the way back to carson. We need to be moving the ball quicker, passing forward and willing to take a chance. Its like were scared of losing the ball. Have a 25 yard dig or put a 50/50 ball upfield instead we play slow sideways passes and let the opposition regain shape. Its so fristrating to watch

miles better than the burton game and in fairness the only difference between us and them was a worldie and a comical defensive error 

8 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

We neither attack teams from the off and put them under pressure nor do we soak up pressure and hit clinically on the break. I literally have zero idea what Pearson is attempting to achieve here. I fully support him however.

Two key aspects of our season thus far that are contributing to our mind numbing mundaneness.

There is no width. Anya today played well and he'll improve. I noticed first half especially that each time he got into a dangerous position on the wing, Newcastle doubled up on him so he had no option but to play the ball back. As a result we barely got behind them and everything once again, was played around in front of the oppositions back four. No threat, easy to defend against. Having our first real shot at goal after 68 minutes is unacceptable. I like Anya and think he'll be a good signing.

Secondly. Movement. There is absolutely no movement from forward minded players and they give the midfield no options but to go sideways or back again. The spark, drive, energy and movement from some of our players is non existent and contributes to the tempo of the game being slower and the predictability of our passing.

Great post Tony.

The above is exactly what's happening. And it's been happening for a long time. Apart from Hughes and Bryson, We have the most static group of forward players ever. There is no movement into space therefore no one to pass to. When Newcastle had the ball there were multiple passing options and we had to make great tackles to win the ball. When we had the ball, there was no one to pass to and we would surrender the ball cheaply or just sideways and back pass. What does that tell you? All very obvious. (Oddly, Blackman makes these off the ball runs and that gets him a lot of chances to score but that guy can't hit a barn door and thus incurs our wrath)

So Im a bit numb after going to that because the players worked hard when Toon had the ball or the derby player who had the ball worked hard but we play dumb off the ball when our teammate is in possession. So I feel like NP was outcoached by Rafa because he's not encouraging attacking movement.

Pearson needs to encourage players - especially the forwards - to check back deep and to make diagonal runs and get open. Rather than just stand there in a horizontal line. Also we'd really benefit by dropping Johnson into the holding role and pushing Hughes and Bryso up the field but everyone including Nigel must see that.

One thing he now must see is that Hughes is the best player in the division. I swear there were 2 of him out there he worked so hard and made some beautiful moves.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think Anya will be a good signing, he is head and shoulders ( not literally ) above our other wide men. Russell was awful yesterday, slowed everything down, passed backwards more often than not or if he ran with the ball lost it quickly. Anya is capable of getting crosses into the box. I agree yesterday they were food and drink to thier centre half, but crosses don't have to be high balls. If like you suggest we had Hughes and Bryson further up during attacks, he would be able to play drag backs along the floor to the edge of the box rather than high in to the six yard box. This however would involve going back to 3 midfielders centrally, which alas I don't think we will do. Unless he is waiting for Thorne to get fit to try this, knowing we don't have the suitable personnel for a holder as it stands. 

9 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Dreadful, today was dreadful, again! Let's  not dress it up it was poor, weak central midfield, back 4 who constantly gave the ball away and a winger who hasn't beat a man in at least the last 9 months stumbling into every Newcastle player he went near . We've gave away the best CF we've had in a decade and the only back up we have is Bent and Blackman (who nearly hit the corner flag in the 2nd half with his only touch of the game). I keep reading be patient, we're rebuilding. Rebuilding what? We challenged the top 6 for 3 years, now what, I've been to all the league home games and two away and haven't seen a goal?!?!? What exactly are we rebuilding, to me it's destroying not rebuilding. I won't boo and I'll give NP time, but so far we've ruined all the good Nigel and Steve did and gone back 5yrs. But hey ho roll on Ipswich COYR

Sorry Texas but I think that is way too bleak. Don't you think Vydra looked dangerous at all ? Couldn't you possibly consider that the system and ethic over the last 3 years had peaked ? This is work in progress.

i agree that JR is way way off his game and hasn't earned a place. Blackman isn't a very good baller but in his short cameo he made a good block, won a header and actually tackled someone. No he isn't the future and was a bad buy, but Vydra, Anya and Wilson have added something. For me despite the poor results I can see progress. The away game against Hull was a spark from dieing embers. We need this transition time to change track. I think it's working no matter how dark it looks at the moment 

Archived