Derby County vs Newcastle United

SouthernRam

After an eventful night on deadline day, I think all of us Rams fans need to take a step back and look at things objectively. The majority of us were agreed that selling Hendrick for £10.5 million was good business, regardless of whether there was a replacement lined up. Anya is a decent winger, in the out-and-out mould that many were looking for.

Now, Chrissy Martin clearly doesn't feature  in Pearson's plans this season and so it made sense for his career to move on. Fans aren't happy with the loan but that is best for him given the changes to the club, and given his diminishing record it's not a bad move. We have a plethora of strikers at our disposal and Vydra is a quality record signing. We are now also well into the '+ side' of FFP and can reassess and buy/sell as Pearson sees fit come January. I personally believe we will continue to be very active in the market.

The key thing is that it's about recruiting the right players, hence Mel and Sam did the right thing by not signing Grabban - for example - as a last minute panic buy. Anyway, now that we know our new look squad for the first half of the season - who'll be starting against the Geordies...?!

Carson

Christie    Keogh   Shackell    Olsson

Bryson    Hughes

Camara              Ince               Anya

Vydra

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post, although not sure we will go with that formation. Over the next week or so Pearson needs to work out how we are going to play now we've shaken the squad up a bit. We really did look hopeless against Burton, especially when in possesion at the back and no one for the defence to pass too. Or is this deliberate and we are just going to move away from possesion football and use the pace of our new forwards?

Not the XI I think will start, but the one I'd like to see:

Carson

Christie/Keogh/Shackell/Olsson

Bryson/Hanson

Weimann/Hughes/Camara

Vydra

Bench: Weale, Anya, Pearce, Johnson, Butterfield, Ince, Wilson.

That's breaking my own theory of not playing Weimann on the wing... but he was lethal last time he played there (against Hull) and I can't think of any other way to fit him in the side whilst avoiding the lightweight midfield partnership of Hughes/Bryson. Hughes as the number 10 offers him a chance to really shine whilst going forward whilst the front three is v quick. When he's back fit I'd put Thorne in for Hanson as his long passing would make this side a bit more penetrative. 

Just now, Posh Ram said:

Not the XI I think will start, but the one I'd like to see:

Carson

Christie/Keogh/Shackell/Olsson

Bryson/Hanson

Weimann/Hughes/Camara

Vydra

Bench: Weale, Anya, Pearce, Johnson, Butterfield, Ince, Wilson.

That's breaking my own theory of not playing Weimann on the wing... but he was lethal last time he played there (against Hull) and I can't think of any other way to fit him in the side whilst avoiding the lightweight midfield partnership of Hughes/Bryson. Hughes as the number 10 offers him a chance to really shine whilst going forward whilst the front three is v quick. When he's back fit I'd put Thorne in for Hanson as his long passing would make this side a bit more penetrative. 

Has Hanson been injured this season or just not picked?

Anyone but Bryson and/or Hughes at holding.

In an ideal world, where form isn't an issue:

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson

Ince* Hughes Johnson Anya

Wilson Vydra

Bench: Mitchell, Baird, Butterfield, Blackman, Bent, Russell*, Lowe

I haven't seen enough of Wilson to know if this would work, but from what I've heard about him, and seen of Vydra, I think they're a bit too similar. However, I don't have much confidence in Blackman and I don't think Bent will complement either of them.

What we'll probably see

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson

Hughes

Camara Butterfield Bryson Anya

Vydra

Depends on the formation but this looks a pretty slick team:

Carson

Christie   Keogh   Shackell   Olsson

Bryson   Hughes

Ince   Vyrda   Anya

Wilson

Or if we're going the standard 4-4-2:

Carson

Christie   Keogh   Shackell   Olsson

Ince    Bryson    Hughes    Anya

Vyrda    Wilson

Vydra

Anya      Hughes      Ince

Johnson   Thorne

Olsson  Shackell  Keogh  Christie

Weale

I do like the look of this although it requires the real Bradley Johnson to finally show up and Thorne to return from injury so you can file this one for later use. Weale starts because I'm not having him come to the club thinking he's in for a free ride, can get his gloves dirty. 

As for Newcastle I'm expecting Pearson will go for

Vydra

Ince

Anya  Hughes  Bryson  Camara

Carson

Personally I would go slightly different, throw Johnson back in and allow Hughes and Bryson to push up further, this can quickly change to the much loved 4-3-3 with the ball which is important that both Anya and Ince support Vydra, otherwise he may as well spend the game on his arse. Yes I'm fully aware that Johnson hasn't been great for us, he does know this position and it's time to get his act together. We're short of anyone that can really stay back and offer us protection whilst not sacrificing us moving forward. 

Vydra

Anya   Hughes   Bryson  Ince

Johnson

Weiman needs a proper run in the side once fit as has only been a bit part player to date and I have a feeling he will tear up this league. Surely Johnson must come into form soon. We need the beast of player he promised to be in his first few games with us and we need his power in middle at least until Thorne returns.

Carson

Christie              Keogh                         Shackell               Olson

Hughes                       Johnson

Weiman                               Ince                                      Anya

Vydra

2 minutes ago, David said:

Vydra

Anya      Hughes      Ince

Johnson   Thorne

Weale

I do like the look of this although it requires the real Bradley Johnson to finally show up and Thorne to return from injury so you can file this one for later use. Weale starts because I'm not having him come to the club thinking he's in for a free ride, can get his gloves dirty. 

As for Newcastle I'm expecting Pearson will go for

Vydra

Ince

Anya  Hughes  Bryson  Camara

Carson

Personally I would go slightly different, throw Johnson back in and allow Hughes and Bryson to push up further, this can quickly change to the much loved 4-3-3 with the ball. Yes I'm fully aware that Johnson hasn't been great for us, he does know this position and it's time to get his act together. We're short of anyone that can really stay back and offer us protection whilst not sacrificing us moving forward. 

Vydra

Anya   Hughes   Bryson  Ince

Johnson

I think you're spot on here, but like you say it all hinges on whether Johnson's gonna buck his ideas up and pull his finger out a bit. If not, we'll get knocked about for the rest of the year in the middle. 

Personally, I like the look of Camara, and would have little hesitation to pull Ince out for a couple of games to let Razza prove himself. 

I can't see anything other than a 4-4-2.

--------------------Weale--------------------

Christie-----Keogh----Shacks-----Olsson

Ince--------Bryson-----Hughes----Anya

---------------Wilson-----Vydra-----------

Weale is a joke but the others aren't. Very lightweight in midfield and Hughes is replaced by Johnson in the next match who hits form.

Hughes sold in January for £12m and the whole forum goes into meltdown. Regardless, we are promoted through the playoffs.

Some good opinions. I completely forgot about Johnson. Johnson isn't going to regain his form sitting on the bench. 1 good performance here is all it takes a player to regain their confidence.If not I wouldn't be object to playing Baird behind Hughes and Bryson. His know how could be invaluable in games like these. On reflection I'd play this team:

Carson

Christie      Keogh        Shackell     Olsson

Johnson/Baird

Camara          Hughes  Bryson        Anya

Vydra.

Assuming only long term injuries are out ill plump for

.                  Carson

christie Keogh Shackell olsson

.              Hughes 

anya Butterfield Johnson camara 

.              Vydra

i know we'd rather Hughes played further upfield but in terms of dictating play there's only really him that can do it, with Thorne being out. 

Strong bench too Wilson, Ince, Russell, Bryson, Pearce, Mitchell, Weimann

Archived