Derby County vs Newcastle United

SouthernRam

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm certainly not going to give Shackell or the other defenders a hard time. Ok Shackell in particular made some particularly interesting clearances yesterday but these defenders have to be on the ball and concentrating for 90 plus minutes (unless they get subbed of course). It's hard work and they're at it for the whole game.

Meanwhile.............

If our attackers actually attacked and A) relieved some pressure and B) actually scored some goals then the odd defensive mishap wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Just feel a bit sorry for the defensive players sometimes. They get constant back passes from the midfield, often when under pressure because none of the front men are holding the ball up, running the channels or making themselves a nuisance. The full backs are often expected to supplement the attack and then get back and defend when some striker mis-controls it and then can't be arsed to try and win it back. They have to organise themselves as a unit and concentrate on what each is doing and where they are going whilst the strikers just stand around waiting for a pass and they have to put their heads in where it hurts to defend corners and set pieces whilst the attackers are at the other end of the pitch admiring the view.

Nobody is perfect and regardless of how many mistakes they make or how inept they are. I appreciate their hard work for the club for 90 minutes solid both mentally and physically.

I can understand fans frustrations however.

In the main these are not pearsons players and until we have a team made up of pearsons players ( including any already here he wants to keep at the club) I will reserve full judgement but yesterday I could see signs of what he wants us to play like , hindsight is a wonderful thing but in hindsight Pearson would have been better off not giving our squad the chance he has but also we have installed new recruitment personnel and may well be looking to January as the real turning point , I am very open in my view that I feel Pearson is the right man for us but I also kind of hoped that things would click better with our squad and him right off but it has nt and in many ways I feel that exposes some real limitatitions in the squad he took over in terms of attitude , ability and versitility , he could probably have played the old favourite s in the old formation but really what's the point if he firmly believes that they ar nt going to succeed ?if he feels changes need to be made to succeed ( have seen enough since qpr loss to agree ) then let's get on with it , if we have to take a step back to move forward stronger , go through some pain early then I willing to support that , can't see how we have much other choice given our aim is to improve enough to get promoted and be good enough to compete in the prem ,, any manager we had installed would be facing exactly the same situation now of upsetting the apple art by bringing in better players even if it was for the old 4/3/3 formation ,, our players had become far to comfortable and powerful as a group 

21 minutes ago, archied said:

In the main these are not pearsons players and until we have a team made up of pearsons players ( including any already here he wants to keep at the club) I will reserve full judgement but yesterday I could see signs of what he wants us to play like , hindsight is a wonderful thing but in hindsight Pearson would have been better off not giving our squad the chance he has but also we have installed new recruitment personnel and may well be looking to January as the real turning point , I am very open in my view that I feel Pearson is the right man for us but I also kind of hoped that things would click better with our squad and him right off but it has nt and in many ways I feel that exposes some real limitatitions in the squad he took over in terms of attitude , ability and versitility , he could probably have played the old favourite s in the old formation but really what's the point if he firmly believes that they ar nt going to succeed ?if he feels changes need to be made to succeed ( have seen enough since qpr loss to agree ) then let's get on with it , if we have to take a step back to move forward stronger , go through some pain early then I willing to support that , can't see how we have much other choice given our aim is to improve enough to get promoted and be good enough to compete in the prem ,, any manager we had installed would be facing exactly the same situation now of upsetting the apple art by bringing in better players even if it was for the old 4/3/3 formation ,, our players had become far to comfortable and powerful as a group 

By the same token it also exposes Pearson's limitations, does it not? 

3 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I'm certainly not going to give Shackell or the other defenders a hard time. Ok Shackell in particular made some particularly interesting clearances yesterday but these defenders have to be on the ball and concentrating for 90 plus minutes (unless they get subbed of course). It's hard work and they're at it for the whole game.

Meanwhile.............

If our attackers actually attacked and A) relieved some pressure and B) actually scored some goals then the odd defensive mishap wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Just feel a bit sorry for the defensive players sometimes. They get constant back passes from the midfield, often when under pressure because none of the front men are holding the ball up, running the channels or making themselves a nuisance. The full backs are often expected to supplement the attack and then get back and defend when some striker mis-controls it and then can't be arsed to try and win it back. They have to organise themselves as a unit and concentrate on what each is doing and where they are going whilst the strikers just stand around waiting for a pass and they have to put their heads in where it hurts to defend corners and set pieces whilst the attackers are at the other end of the pitch admiring the view.

Nobody is perfect and regardless of how many mistakes they make or how inept they are. I appreciate their hard work for the club for 90 minutes solid both mentally and physically.

I think the part in bold kinda sums it up for me to be honest, the whole side from Keeper, Defenders,Forwards and poor old Bradley Johnson have been getting an awful amount of stick on here. 

For me we lack "Kahonas" in midfield that's where the problem lies for me no question with no one prepared to take the game by the neck and get to grips with it.

We have a midfield that always looks sideways and backwards.

We need and I mean "NEED" a midfield general a John Eustace, a Robin Van Der Laan, a Geraint Williams I could go on. 

The defence is constantly under pressure from slow play in the middle and the forwards are suffocating due to lack of supply again steming from the slow play moving forward.

Its all about establishing a tempo out there and to do that we need a leader in the middle of the park, we just don't have one and until someone takes responsibility in the middle we are going to see repeat performances IMHO.

8 hours ago, cannable said:

By the same token it also exposes Pearson's limitations, does it not? 

Rather depends on his intentions really if he has come in with the intention of keeping the same players ,playing the same formation but just hoping to squeeze that extra 15 percent out of them that gets us up then your right it does expose his limitations , if he has found a stubborn group of players who want to have things their way and don't really perform if they can't have it then that's a different kettle of fish ,,, on wassell ,,, I did not and do not think he was or is the man for the job at this time but by all accounts he is a decent guy and a good servant to derby county , I keep seeing that people say the fans have treated him badly ,,,,, wel stop for one minute and consider did the players not treat him far worse ? Just look at shackell , he made a right cxxt of him in front of a stadium and millions watching on sky , made him look two feet tall , do you really believe the players wholeheartedly accepted him as the boss and gave him the respect and commitment that position requires ? If they had he may well still be boss whether I wanted him or not ,,, as I say I believe that Pearson will turn it round and get it right but accept that is just my opinion and I may turn out to be wrong ,,, the one thing i am sure I'm right about is that we need a BOSS and it clear he is going to have to be a strong one ,, we have player who have let down 3 bosses by either lack of commitment or ability , fans who boo if we don't play those players a boo new players who have been brought in but have quickly lost their form ,, a massive expectation without the tools to fully achieve it ,,, it is now very clear that things have got worse and worse since the play off loss and Pearson has a clusterfuck not of his making to sort out ,, that's how I see it ,, who's to blame for this does not matter now , we are where we are and sorting it out and moving forward is the priority

44 minutes ago, archied said:

it is now very clear that things have got worse and worse since the play off loss and Pearson has a clusterfuck not of his making to sort out ,, that's how I see it ,, who's to blame for this does not matter now , we are where we are and sorting it out and moving forward is the priority

As Pearson is the only person that has been in charge since the play off then how is this fictitious clusterfuck not of his making?!

If he is only capable of managing players that he has bought himself then I think we have hired a very poor manager.

I meant the Qpr play off loss, and by that I mean the things that people have been banging on about , players recruited that don't seem to have much bearing on the side or position they are bought to play in ,, players brought in that really ar nt better than what we have , players brought in in positions we have a glut of but positions that glaringly need cover or improvement totally ignored , the clement fiasco and yes wassell situation , can anybody really say we have built on and kicked on from the fantastic qpr play off season ? Yes we have had spells where we got results , even went top but if we are honest even then things did nt seem right , I don't claim to know all the ins and out of all edged player power or clement sacking or the wassell thing with Harry redknap brought in to oversee but I do know things have been messed up before Pearson arrived and we have been sliding backwards from the qpr loss season and we need a boss with a clear single vision and plan and the strength of will to carry it out ,, whether Pearson turns out to be right choice only time will tell but let's not pretend that changes needed making and it's clear we have players who really did nt want change and showed it in their performances and not just for Pearson 

12 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Meanwhile.............

Fair points Tony. More importantly, what's happened to your avatar. Ramping it up with some STP?

Archived