Derby County vs Newcastle United

SouthernRam

1 hour ago, jono said:

Sorry Texas but I think that is way too bleak. Don't you think Vydra looked dangerous at all ? Couldn't you possibly consider that the system and ethic over the last 3 years had peaked ? This is work in progress.

i agree that JR is way way off his game and hasn't earned a place. Blackman isn't a very good baller but in his short cameo he made a good block, won a header and actually tackled someone. No he isn't the future and was a bad buy, but Vydra, Anya and Wilson have added something. For me despite the poor results I can see progress. The away game against Hull was a spark from dieing embers. We need this transition time to change track. I think it's working no matter how dark it looks at the moment 

I didn't think Vydra looked dangerous yesterday, but not his fault as with Martin the balls forward to him were poor at best. I think Vydra and Anya both will be great assets for us. Wilson, I'm to be convinced. 

My point was/is what are we trying to re-build and into what? We had an entertaining team playing fairly decent football, it wasn't perfect but enjoyable. I don't understand why we should radically change it like we have or intend to. We needed a pacey forward and a new winger (which we now have) and an improvement / cover for Thorne and we would have been about there with our previous system/style IMO. 

It's early and NP needs time, but from what I've seen so far I'm not sure what the end game is. Having said that I can't agree with your last comment "I think it's working" really? we've scored 1 league goal and barley created a chance, I beg to differ in that's working. 

Ps my original post was after several beers/wine so may not have helped 

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I didn't think Vydra looked dangerous yesterday, but not his fault as with Martin the balls forward to him were poor at best. I think Vydra and Anya both will be great assets for us. Wilson, I'm to be convinced. 

My point was/is what are we trying to re-build and into what? We had an entertaining team playing fairly decent football, it wasn't perfect but enjoyable. I don't understand why we should radically change it like we have or intend to. We needed a pacey forward and a new winger (which we now have) and an improvement / cover for Thorne and we would have been about there with our previous system/style IMO. 

It's early and NP needs time, but from what I've seen so far I'm not sure what the end game is. Having said that I can't agree with your last comment "I think it's working" really? we've scored 1 league goal and barley created a chance, I beg to differ in that's working. 

Into a promotion winning side, not this year but next. I think it will continue to be painful for most of this season

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

Into a promotion winning side, not this year but next. I think it will continue to be painful for most of this season

I hope so Spanish (the promotion winning bit not the painful bit) I just hope it gets a bit more entertaining as well, like a goal or something daft like that  :thumbsup:

30 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Fair enough but I still reckon we had peaked and needed to have a change of philosophy to move us forward. So far we haven't got any traction and you are right, 1 goal is terrible. BUT Saturday left me something to hang on to. If we had had a right winger who could control the ball and work better with Christie, it would have relieved that extra 2% of pressure on Bryson and Hughes and tipped a balance. I am probably being over optimistic but I really do think we have now stopped digging the hole and will climb out of it over the next half dozen games. I also genuinely believe that we were one dimensional in the 433 set up .. It worked well quite often but was the only way we played and wasn't going to get any better in relative terms. .. Mind you I am a lover of wingers and wide players so to paraphrase Mandy Rice Davies .. "I would say that wouldn't I ! ?

Highlight for me was when Blackman reached for his puffing wheezer in the dugout and the puffing wheezer put a better performance in than Blackman did and the dugout has more talent than Jason Shackell will ever have, his green boots on their own would have been more effective picking up a man for the first goal or avoiding making mistake after mistake and inviting Newcastle back into small spells of the game when we should have been in control but again were predictably put on the back foot through his stinking performance, surely he can do a hell of a lot better than that?

1 hour ago, Howard Canitbé said:

I'm not arguing that the manager is blameless. I'm arguing that he needs more time before we can make any meaningful analysis. We can analyse the majority of the players because they've been at the club much longer.

The group of players that have spent pretty much all of the last 3 seasons sat in the play off positions suddenly find themselves struggling for form and just outside the bottom 3...

3 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

the dugout has more talent than Jason Shackell will ever have, his green boots on their own would have been more effective picking up a man for the first goal...

As shown by Higginbottom on the Sky post match dissection it was Wilson who lost his man and ended up pirouetting trying to find him!

3 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Highlight for me was when Blackman reached for his puffing wheezer in the dugout and the puffing wheezer put a better performance in than Blackman did and the dugout has more talent than Jason Shackell will ever have, his green boots on their own would have been more effective picking up a man for the first goal or avoiding making mistake after mistake and inviting Newcastle back into small spells of the game when we should have been in control but again were predictably put on the back foot through his stinking performance, surely he can do a hell of a lot better than that?

Think you'll find that it was James Wilson that lost his man. 

3 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Was Anya really offside (I know before anyone says it was given therefore he was but..) was he really offside for the disallowed Vydra goal, couldn't see from our end. It looked close. 

He was offside yes. 

Attendance slightly down on the Villa game. How do they calculate attendances in the Championship anyway? For example, if three of us that each have a ST don't go to the Ipswich game say, then are we still counted in the attendance even though we've not gone, or do they know who has scanned in at the turnstiles and turned up on the night and so they can recalculate the actual correct figure?

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He was covering another player! Wilson let his man get away - that isn't Shackell's fault!

So Shackell whimps out of the challenge by turning his back on Gayle, when Gayle shoots, or better still when he should be facing him up and pressurising him to turn around and pass sideways or backwards but gets a pointless deflection to concede a pointless corner, then when the corner comes across misses the header in front of Wilson, is clearly at no fault!....

Just now, Inverurie Ram said:

So Shackell whimps out of the challenge by turning his back on Gayle, when Gayle shoots, or better still when he should be facing him up and pressurising him to turn around and pass sideways or backwards but gets a pointless deflection to concede a pointless corner, then when the corner comes across misses the header in front of Wilson, is clearly at no fault!....

Oh dear another obsessed anti.

Archived