Derby County vs Newcastle United

SouthernRam

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

TBF we hit the bar , had a goal disallowed and had two peno shouts. Don't think its true to say we didn't look like we were going to score. But without martin and any decent service into the box we don't have enough of a goal threat it's true. 

Neither were penalties, the bar is not in and the "disallowed goal" well we got the ball in the goal I guess but really 

There was zero service and zero creativity. 

Hughes needs to play further forward and Bryson needs to go. ASAP 

19 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Huge mental issues in this team for me.

1. We looked quite good before their goal, there was pace. However one goal, and we were done  confidence evaporated. We can't be that fragile.

2. We're so soft! We get pushed off the ball so easily, where's the strength?

3. Are they talking to each other? They all want an age on the ball, the crowd can tell the players to look out, why aren't their teammates?

4. This might be harsh, but they look like a really unintelligent team. Christie, Russell particularly never seem to make the right decision or recognise where they need to be. Some of it is just common sense.

These issues all worry me as I'm not sure how to overcome them.

I'd agree with all of that.

1 hour ago, Whitley ram said:

Watched this with a pub full of toon fans in Whitley Bay. They weren't impressed with us or them. 2 poor teams with 2 goals that won't be repeated any time soon. What worries me is the lack of chances created. They were always going to sit back and let us come on to them, what work did we do during the week to try and break them down? Russel, Ince poor. Blackman, oh dear god. I still believe, but this is painful.

Watched this in toon and as above, we were all a bit bored with the match. Only they were happier at FT. They did what they needed to. Shame really, cos I was looking forward to this. Oh well, onto SJP for revenge ;)

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Spot on. 

Players not taking responsibility.

Olsson awful.

Carson dithering before punting it forward for Martin...

I also agreed with the other points you made, but that one stuck out to me, given the amount of criticism Shackell is getting tonight. Sure he wasn't great, but at least when given the ball he's taking it on.

The most disappointing aspect of today was that Newcastle didn't even have to play well to win, given our display was so lacking. We look nervous, we look edgy, we look uncomfortable, we look muddled and we look directionless.

Let's be honest, those two defensive lapses aside, the game would have finished 0-0 after 180 minutes the way both teams played and there would have been no arguments. Newcastle didn't look anything special and all in all it was a poor advert for the Championship given these are two teams you'd expect to be competing for promotion in May. If I were David Wagner or Paul Heckingbottom watching that, I wouldn't be fearing anyone in this division, least of all Derby. :lol:

What worries me is we look very beatable, we look very easy to neutralise and we seem to have a very soft centre. Pearson is still fighting fires, some of which are of his very own making. With the quality we have, I just can't see us not coming good eventually. But it might take another 12-15 games before we truly click.

We need to give Pearson time but we also need to see some green shoots of recovery soon. An encouraging and uplifting performance is paramount to kickstart our season - here's hoping it comes on Tuesday night.

57 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Enjoyed those seasons far more than this one 

True. 

But the fact is, there is and was something amiss. Something deep rooted within players, boardroom, fans...that almost invites failure. 

Hence the cancer I was referring to earlier. Something very wrong at this club. Spent an absolute fortune, gone through a string of managers and nothing changes. 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Phil Brown took over a playoff team, a cheaper one at that, and was sacked after 13 or so games despite holding a better points per game record than Nigel Pearson.

Just saying.

I seem to remember Phil brown lasting longer than 13 games Wasnt it six months or so?

Boring game, Derby looked good for the first 10 but after they scored Newcastle controlled the game completely without ever needing to step it up and we just fell away. No confidence at all, too slow by far in moving the ball and one meaningful shot on target.

Getting rid of Martin wasn't enough, too many there who either aren't good enough or have just reached the end of their time at Derby and need a fresh start. Too much mental fragility all over the pitch and whatever Pearson is telling them to do, they either don't understand, are unwilling to do it or aren't good enough to do it. 

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I seem to remember Phil brown lasting longer than 13 games Wasnt it six months or so?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't until about February of that season Brown was sacked.

edit: just looked was 30 Jan ... i was so close!

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Actually I think you could be right. He was booed and had half the stadium singing 'you don't know what you're doing' during the 1-1 draw at home to Leicester City which was around the 13 game mark.

3 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

True. 

But the fact is, there is and was something amiss. Something deep rooted within players, boardroom, fans...that almost invites failure. 

Hence the cancer I was referring to earlier. Something very wrong at this club. Spent an absolute fortune, gone through a string of managers and nothing changes. 

Yes.

I don't like the term bottlers.

But as it is, we are.

First 20 minutes, there was something. There was a strategy. Use the width, get the ball to Vydra's feet. Fine.

Then Newcastle scored. Not a lot to be done about that - it was just a really good hit. But it broke us. We stopped doing anything adventurous. We stopped trying. We reverted to type. Chasing shadows.

Bryson and Hughes look lost without a Thorne, resulting in one sitting on Keogh's and Shackell's toes.

Christie looked interested, then started hiding again. Russell did a couple of good things, was otherwise anonymous. Wilson was ineffective as we weren't getting the ball to him, too similar to Vydra for me. 

Slight positives - Anya looked like an upgrade on Russell, Vydra showed some neat flicks and touches.

If we don't having something positive come out of the game vs. Ipswich, Liverpool will be a horror show.

56 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The point was that Pearson was bought in to add grit not destroy everything.

This I agree with. 

That was always my fault with derby. We weren't 'orrible enough. We didn't have a nasty sod like any of our promotion superiors. 

I don't like Pearson. Never have. But I welcomed his arrival because I thought he would bring that grit and bomb out some of the negative players. 

If anything, we look even more toothless. When he gave Keogh a new contract, and didn't sign a ball winning holding midfielder, he signed his death warrant imo. 

Be surprised if he sees the new year in. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

The players wanted Clement out and they got him out, their performance against Hull in the play offs meant that Wassall wasn't going to given another chance either.

You're well-known for coming out with some pretty mental statements, but this is completely asinine, even by your low standards.

5 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Huge mental issues in this team for me.

1. We looked quite good before their goal, there was pace. However one goal, and we were done  confidence evaporated. We can't be that fragile.

2. We're so soft! We get pushed off the ball so easily, where's the strength?

3. Are they talking to each other? They all want an age on the ball, the crowd can tell the players to look out, why aren't their teammates?

4. This might be harsh, but they look like a really unintelligent team. Christie, Russell particularly never seem to make the right decision or recognise where they need to be. Some of it is just common sense.

These issues all worry me as I'm not sure how to overcome them.

Good post, Ill agree with the vast majority. Its not just the team that loses heart after going 1 down, the crowd do as well. 

More concerning for me is the ease that teams seem to pass the ball around us and never look to be under any pressure. Newcastle made it look easy today. 

Perhaps our players are not as good as we think. This malaise has been slowly creeping in for a season.  I honestly cant see what the current setup is attempting to do? The team looked clueless when trying to attack and break down a well organised defence. Its been a problem for a long time. 

If we attack, show heart, entertain, take risks, be brave, then I reckon the crowd will get behind the team and get noisy. At the moment its boring and dull.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

It exists everywhere, even at the top of the game. The Real Madrid players didn't want to win the champions league because they wanted Mourinho out. These players would be out of the door if we got promoted quicker than you can say Pearson out

Stop talking bs... 

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The most disappointing aspect of today was that Newcastle didn't even have to play well to win, given our display was so lacking. We look nervous, we look edgy, we look uncomfortable, we look muddled and we look directionless.

Let's be honest, those two defensive lapses aside, the game would have finished 0-0 after 180 minutes the way both teams played and there would have been no arguments. Newcastle didn't look anything special and all in all it was a poor advert for the Championship given these are two teams you'd expect to be competing for promotion in May. If I were David Wagner or Paul Heckingbottom watching that, I wouldn't be fearing anyone in this division, least of all Derby. :lol:

What worries me is we look very beatable, we look very easy to neutralise and we seem to have a very soft centre. Pearson is still fighting fires, some of which are of his very own making. With the quality we have, I just can't see us not coming good eventually. But it might take another 12-15 games before we truly click.

We need to give Pearson time but we also need to see some green shoots of recovery soon. An encouraging and uplifting performance is paramount to kickstart our season - here's hoping it comes on Tuesday night.

I agree with a lot of what you say here. But the last time we were that aimless and  lacking cohesion, was in the days of Clough, where we'd play 2 games poorly, win one well and then draw 3. This was like one of cloughs poor games. We're presuming Pearson can iron all that out and make us unbeatable. It's still early days, but even clement had a way of playing and a sense of team direction (even if it was dull). I'll give hime time, but we need to start looking like there's a master plan.

Archived