Derby County vs Newcastle United

SouthernRam

1 minute ago, BuckoBeast said:

Apart from the result, I actually feel quite positive. I see some improvement and think the new signings looked promising. I'd like to see this team to face Ipswich:

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Olson

Johnson

Bryson Hughes

Ince

Vydra Wilson 

Need a bit more steel in the midfield to help the midfield runners. Russell needs to be dropped I do not understand why he is in the team

Is Anya out injured? I would bring in Pearce for shackell after that performance today. Wouldn't start with Wilson. 

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The league is a lot stronger now than it was for Wassall. He didn't have to play two teams full of Premier League quality players who make us look like beggars with their riches - Villa and Newcastle and Pearson also managed a draw against Brighton, but didn't concede this time. I liked Wassall as our manager and I am willing to give Pearson a chance, but to compare the records of the two at this stage is utterly ridiculous. If that is what we want to do though lets see how we do against Ipswich since Wassall lost to them last season.

Were Hull not full of Premier League players then?!

Just now, reveldevil said:

Sorry, do you mean the Villa and Newcastle squads that were relegated? 

Was relegation cancelled last season, so Wassall didn't have to contend with the riches of say Burnley and Hull?

No I don't mean the squads that were relegated - both of them replaced a good chunk of their squads. In either case though being relegated from the Premier League doesn't mean your players are going to be bad in the Championship - there is a huge gap in quality there. Newcastle in particular had better players than us all over the pitch.

I can't tell if you are joking or not, but Hull and Burnley are not even on the same level as Newcastle and Villa. FFP is based on your previous 3 seasons - Villa and Newcastle were both in the Prem for those 3 seasons and they are much bigger clubs in the first place. Newcastle at least also managed to con some teams into paying well over the odds for some of their players. To compare the spending power of Villa and Newcastle with Burnley and Hull last year is pretty laughable - it was more of a level playing field last year, but its only going to get worse, so we had better get used to it.

Bent, Blackman, Johnson, Butterfield, Bryson, Shackell, keogh, ince.... I would do a straight swap, all of them for Joey Barton.

we are desperate for a captain, a leader, an inspiration, someone to boss the ref around, mouth off at the others and generally be a pain in the oppositions neck. 

(By the way, it wasn't a penalty today....and for all those that hate keogh (I am one) Shackell...wow he was awful..)

If the players are blameless then why bother with coaching staff?

The group have failed to achieve promotion under 3 managers now, so maybe having a manager at all just doesn't suit them? They can only play a certain formation due to their abilities constraining them, so let's get rid of Pearson and his staff and allow the players to manage themselves.

Men versus boys for me tonight. We played a good 20 minutes at the start of the game, some good passing, energy, intent , even a decent ball that took out the entire back 4 of Newcastle that saw Anya get on the end of it. Also quite impressed with Wilson  in spells, it's nice to see a striker in a Derby shirt get the ball and run with it, instead of get it - loose it - fall on the floor   :ph34r:

But back to my first point, men versus boys, skill aside, they just looked so much bigger and stronger than us, as much as I like both Hughes and Bryson, the 2 together in the middle will never work, dare I say it.... we need a Johnson in there on Tuesday if you ask me, a bit more strength and bite!

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

No I don't mean the squads that were relegated - both of them replaced a good chunk of their squads. In either case though being relegated from the Premier League doesn't mean your players are going to be bad in the Championship - there is a huge gap in quality there. Newcastle in particular had better players than us all over the pitch.

I can't tell if you are joking or not, but Hull and Burnley are not even on the same level as Newcastle and Villa. FFP is based on your previous 3 seasons - Villa and Newcastle were both in the Prem for those 3 seasons and they are much bigger clubs in the first place. Newcastle at least also managed to con some teams into paying well over the odds for some of their players. To compare the spending power of Villa and Newcastle with Burnley and Hull last year is pretty laughable - it was more of a level playing field last year, but its only going to get worse, so we had better get used to it.

You're quite right, the big gap explains why Bournemouth and Watford came straight back down in recent seasons.

I don't think either Newcastle or Villa looked anything special. They were both beatable. Neither are filled with Premier League players. If they were, they'd still be there. They were relegated for a reason. 

Derby will improve but it may take until after Christmas. I think it will ultimately take Pearson two seasons to get us where he wants us.

1 minute ago, Howard Canitbé said:

If the players are blameless then why bother with coaching staff?

The group have failed to achieve promotion under 3 managers now, so maybe having a manager at all just doesn't suit them? They can only play a certain formation due to their abilities constraining them, so let's get rid of Pearson and his staff and allow the players to manage themselves.

If the manager is blameless why not stick with Wassall?

Reboot the mindset.

Today was disappointing, not awful.

The central midfielders all got used to having the luxury of an extra man, so they had that bit of ime and space and an easy ball out if they were under pressure. Not happening under Pearson.

If we are to have any joy at all we need to keep on this path. 

Consider the other options:

1. try the same as previous three seasons hope they undo the Zamora injustice. i.e. go With Wassall and the core of the squad.

2. try a vitiation but no big shake ups as we're a decent side i.e. get in nice coach who likes possession and good technical players e.g. Martinez or similar (note, the players wanted this)

3. strong man type to get the mentality right - Pearson was supposed to be this man.

We've gone with option 3, to fanny about now would be worse than sticking to it.

"Growth is always painful" is a mantra I try to remember in difficult times.

10 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Apart from the result, I actually feel quite positive. I see some improvement and think the new signings looked promising. I'd like to see this team to face Ipswich:

Carson

Johnson

Bryson Hughes

Ince

Vydra Wilson 

Need a bit more steel in the midfield to help the midfield runners. Russell needs to be dropped I do not understand why he is in the team

Unless you're assuming that Anya is injured then he must play being a new signing. Also, NP likes width so that formation won't happen.

i like Russell but agree that he's off it at the moment (join the queue) but there is no way on earth that Ince would get in my team until he starts showing a better attitude- this isn't the Premier league.

maybe there are too many one trick ponies in the squad and January will be busy, a lot of questions to answer but the people who can deal with them have disappeared... Like Ostriches :whistle:

3 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

I don't think either Newcastle or Villa looked anything special. They were both beatable. Neither are filled with Premier League players. If they were, they'd still be there. They were relegated for a reason. 

Derby will improve but it may take until after Christmas. I think it will ultimately take Pearson two seasons to get us where he wants us.

Newcastle and villa were relegated for reasons which have nothing to do with their prospects this season. Newcastle had a number of prima Donna players , some of who they have sold for vast sums of money. They have strengthened the team sensibly with top championship players. They are the best team in this league and will be promoted for sure. They are not world beaters... They gave the ball away several times today and a better team than the Rams would have capitalised. But they are easily good enough for promotion.

villa were starved of investment under the previous owners. That isn't the case now... They will challenge for promotion I think. They are better than the Rams who I agree face a season of struggle this year. I am not convinced that Pearson will be given a second year unless things do improve drastically on the first few games. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Stop Carson punting on to opposition players heads or in to touch.

Stop Shackell punting on to opposition players heads or in to touch.

Stop Olsson from taking it sidewards or backwards with his first touch every time.

Stop Russell from running into opposition players.

Come up with a system that can enable Hughes and Bryson to play further forward.

They would be my suggestions to start with.

I would agree with this one, however we all know Shackell is a limited defender, yet today we had players looking (Olsson was a big offender) to give the ball to him, even if they have time and space to take it on themselves. It's crazy! 

It seems that a few players who are better passers/more creative, would rather pass it on to him than take responsibility themselves. 

24 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Carson

Johnson

Bryson Hughes

Ince

Vydra Wilson 

Apart from the result...? You mean the 0-2 home defeat where we again didn't score a goal and again never looked at all like we were going to.?? We were beaten by a Newcastle team that didn't get into second gear.

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

I would agree with this one, however we all know Shackell is a limited defender, yet today we had players looking (Olsson was a big offender) to give the ball to him, even if they have time and space to take it on themselves. It's crazy! 

It seems that a few players who are better passers/more creative, would rather pass it on to him than take responsibility themselves. 

Spot on. 

Players not taking responsibility.

Olsson awful.

Carson dithering before punting it forward for Martin...

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Apart from the result...? You mean the 0-2 home defeat where we again didn't score a goal and again never looked at all like we were going to.?? We were beaten by a Newcastle team that didn't get into second gear.

TBF we hit the bar , had a goal disallowed and had two peno shouts. Don't think its true to say we didn't look like we were going to score. But without martin and any decent service into the box we don't have enough of a goal threat it's true. 

Huge mental issues in this team for me.

1. We looked quite good before their goal, there was pace. However one goal, and we were done  confidence evaporated. We can't be that fragile.

2. We're so soft! We get pushed off the ball so easily, where's the strength?

3. Are they talking to each other? They all want an age on the ball, the crowd can tell the players to look out, why aren't their teammates?

4. This might be harsh, but they look like a really unintelligent team. Christie, Russell particularly never seem to make the right decision or recognise where they need to be. Some of it is just common sense.

These issues all worry me as I'm not sure how to overcome them.

Archived