Lee Grant - Signed for Stoke

t'oldu

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Stoke City boss Mark Hughes wants to sign goalkeeper Lee Grant, 33, who is on loan at the club from Derby County, on a permanent deal in January. (Stoke Sentinel)

Stoke City boss holds out hope for permanent Lee Grant move

By Martin_Spinks  |  Posted: October 28, 2016

Stoke City boss holds out hope for permanent Lee Grant move

Mark Hughes admits there is a good chance Stoke could sign goalkeeper Lee Grant on a permanent deal from Derby County.

Grant, whose current loan spell expires on January 3, has impressed hugely in his five games to date and has already expressed his desire to extend his temporary stay.

But Stoke see him as a viable long-term deputy to Jack Butland and could make his move permanent in the January window.

"We're a good option for him," Hughes admitted. "He's out of contract at the end of the season so that may well come into his thinking.

"We're very happy with what he's producing at the moment and if everything aligned I'm sure there would be a desire to keep Lee at the club. He's been a positive influence, but it's very early days."

One complication could be new Derby boss Steve McClaren, however, because he frequently employed Grant in the first team during his first spell as Rams manager and may want him until the end of the season.

Hughes, meanwhile, couldn't be happier with Grant's form after throwing him his first-ever Premier League chance at the age of 33.

"He's come in and he's grabbed his chance," said the Stoke City boss. "He's a very experienced goalkeeper who's played at a good level for a long time now... 300-odd games.

Read more: How the Boothen End is helping Stoke City's Stephen Ireland get back to fitness

"He's waited for a long time to show people that he can be a Premier League keeper – which he undoubtedly is given the performances he's produced up to this point.

"Given our circumstances, we're delighted he's been able to come in and have such an impact.

"We always felt he was a good keeper, but you never know until they're actually thrown in and you find out if they can swim or not. Lee has come in to really good effect."

Read more at http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/stoke-city-boss-holds-out-hope-for-permanent-lee-grant-move/story-29848633-detail/story.html#OFWQ3buu9fuxH8Q7.99

1 hour ago, jono said:

I like Mitchel .. Pity we don't have a slightly longer contract on Granty but if we can get even a half decent fee than all well and good 

Not sure about Mitchell but if we can get decent money for Granty, there's cheaper experience to sit on the bench if necessary. How much did we pay for Blackman (when out of contract soon, Championship price)?!

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not sure about Mitchell but if we can get decent money for Granty, there's cheaper experience to sit on the bench if necessary. How much did we pay for Blackman (when out of contract soon, Championship price)?!

Oh Roy you are spot on about Blackman. I've nothing against him but he just hasn't worked here. You could understand the big fees for Butters and Johnson .. We'd had Bryson and Hughes badly injured and needed quality quickly. But boy did we overpay for Nick and he wasn't needed in the same way. 

I really like Mitchell .. He looks aware and athletic and can save ..lacks experience and will make mistakes, but I think he has the potential to be a very good keeper. 

Archived