Car you currently drive?

AmericanRam

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not worthy of a new thread, but a bump of this one should suffice...

Looking for semi-decent carpeting for the back of my new van, which I'm collecting in a couple of hours, so if anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears!  Grey or black preferred, but not a deal-breaker!

There's a 2+1 seat arrangement in the back.  I'm happy to cut out for seat fittings (and lashing points) if need be, as I'd like the carpet to be in one piece, from the back of the front seats (1+1) to the rear tailgate threshold.  Would prefer hemmed, so I'm just trying to avoid an end-of-roll remnant from a domestic carpet shop! 🤣  The "scatterd rug" look is a tad too hipster for me, too! 👀 

There are options for multi-piece vehicle-specific carpets, (Some of which are far too expensive for my liking!) shaped and hemmed around that second row of seats, with a larger carpet for the main "empty" rear (behind those seats).   But I'm not so keen on the multi piece option though, hence my desire for a "Covers the lot" option.  (There may be times when all 3 rear seats come out, for camping abroad?)

If it matters, the van is a VW Transporter T6.1 Highline Kombi - SWB - Sliding door each side. 

If I can get the desired effect for a £100 or less, I'll be delighted!  😎

I'll do some digging of course, but if anyone has any suggestions, it'd be appreciated.

Cheers.  🍻

If I were you, I'd go for rubberised, washable matting instead. 

In my experience, cleaning hitchhikers blood from carpet is a nightmare.

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not worthy of a new thread, but a bump of this one should suffice...

Looking for semi-decent carpeting for the back of my new van, which I'm collecting in a couple of hours, so if anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears!  Grey or black preferred, but not a deal-breaker!

There's a 2+1 seat arrangement in the back.  I'm happy to cut out for seat fittings (and lashing points) if need be, as I'd like the carpet to be in one piece, from the back of the front seats (1+1) to the rear tailgate threshold.  Would prefer hemmed, so I'm just trying to avoid an end-of-roll remnant from a domestic carpet shop! 🤣  The "scatterd rug" look is a tad too hipster for me, too! 👀 

There are options for multi-piece vehicle-specific carpets, (Some of which are far too expensive for my liking!) shaped and hemmed around that second row of seats, with a larger carpet for the main "empty" rear (behind those seats).   But I'm not so keen on the multi piece option though, hence my desire for a "Covers the lot" option.  (There may be times when all 3 rear seats come out, for camping abroad?)

If it matters, the van is a VW Transporter T6.1 Highline Kombi - SWB - Sliding door each side. 

If I can get the desired effect for a £100 or less, I'll be delighted!  😎

I'll do some digging of course, but if anyone has any suggestions, it'd be appreciated.

Cheers.  🍻

Tight bugger, if you can afford a VW Transporter T6.1, you can afford the proper carpets!

😉

56 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Tight bugger, if you can afford a VW Transporter T6.1, you can afford the proper carpets!

😉

But as well as being expensive, the proper ones come in 3 bits... not great with all seats out, and in and out with camping gear.

And no, I can't afford a brand new Transporter... it was either this new company van, or a lesser value pay rise, so opted for the van, and in the process, I have now got rid of my personal Ford Galaxy, and the associated monthly (finance) repayments, insurance, and VED.  Nice! 😁

Got to kit it out myself though... hence the cheap carpet option!  🤣

Ooh - this thread bumped. For the first time in about 15 years I have a car, so I am posting it.

Described by Jeremy Clarkson (and backed up by the rest of the Top Gear crew) as "the worst car in the world ... ever" it is fabulous and lovely. A Lexus SC430. Which stands for a sports coupe with a 4.3 litre V8 engine! 

Numberplateremoved.thumb.jpg.f4077b56c6307cc55b66194125629b52.jpg

And then the roof goes up and down at the touch of a button, like this one:

Twenty year old Japanese engineering, but this is maybe the best built Lexus there was. To compete with Bentleys and Aston Martins. It looks as if it's just come out of the showroom, and everything works perfectly. Touch wood, of which there's plenty inside the cabin!

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

....but this is maybe the best built Lexus there was. 

It's not though, is it. Objectively, it's a decent car, but it's not even close to being the best car Lexus have built.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

To compete with Bentleys and Aston Martins.

It wasn't. Had it been, 20 years ago it would have been competing with a DB9 or a Continental GT, which is like conflating Katie Hopkins and Kate Moss. The car actually was built to try and tap into the Mercedes SL market. 

22 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

It's not though, is it. Objectively, it's a decent car, but it's not even close to being the best car Lexus have built.

It wasn't. Had it been, 20 years ago it would have been competing with a DB9 or a Continental GT, which is like conflating Katie Hopkins and Kate Moss. The car actually was built to try and tap into the Mercedes SL market. 

Rain on my parade! See if I care? 🤣 I've driven Bentleys and Aston Martins, and several Lexus, and I do love this motor. And I was looking at picture of Kate Moss the other day (in the National Portrait Gallery) and did notice she has a really weird shaped head. 

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Rain on my parade! See if I care? 🤣 I've driven Bentleys and Aston Martins, and several Lexus, and I do love this motor. And I was looking at picture of Kate Moss the other day (in the National Portrait Gallery) and did notice she has a really weird shaped head. 

Lexi

You’re welcome

alan partridge GIF by Stan.

12 hours ago, 1of4 said:

What car am I currently driving?

The same one I was driving when this thread started.

Unless it's wheels fall off, I hope I'll still be driving it when I hit seventy years of age. When I may give up my licence and rely on public transport.

Same here, though my wife has owned 3 different cars in the same period (20 years). TBF, the latest (now 6 years old) is the first time I could persuade her to have a brand new car. We're just not "car enthusiasts" I guess.

14 hours ago, 1of4 said:

What car am I currently driving?

The same one I was driving when this thread started.

Unless it's wheels fall off, I hope I'll still be driving it when I hit seventy years of age. When I may give up my licence and rely on public transport.

The Corsa I have is at my home had it now for 7 years, It sailed it's MOT yesterday, Mechanic said WTF do you do with your car, What do you mean, You've only done 504 miles this last year, Ah I said, It hardly gets used, I have all the shops, boozers and Doctors where I live, I use my bus pass to go into Derby and Belper. 

Yep when I hit 70 it'll be gone...if not before that ☺️

Had a call from Greta Thunberg this Morning, She's got herself a new job at We Buy Any Car in Derby, Took it to her and she gave me a good price...£2600, Deal or no Deal, I thought long and hard about our environment and took the offer.

She gave me 2 free tickets to any Environmental Protest march in the UK...we shall over come, We shall over come...some day 😁 

I'm now a Bus Wa**er 🤓

20ixHA.gif 😁

Edited by The Last Post

Still the Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec.

As a pensioner, I can't see me ever buying another car.

Saying that, it's just cost me over 2 grand to get mine sorted. Power steering went completely - had to have the lot (compressor, pump, pipes etc) replaced. It was the 20 hours labour that was the killer.

I really did think long and hard about scrapping it, but in the end I decided to get it sorted. In fairness, it's the only major problem I've had with it in 12 years.

On 01/12/2023 at 09:40, Crewton said:

Same here, though my wife has owned 3 different cars in the same period (20 years). TBF, the latest (now 6 years old) is the first time I could persuade her to have a brand new car. We're just not "car enthusiasts" I guess.

Have just bought a brand new one , it’s something I had never done before though I’ve bought brand new vans before and after about a month they look like crappy old working vans ,

at 62 this will be the last nice car I buy and wanted the experience of having one from new and looking after it but I am a car lover , the wife just doesn’t care about cars , hers now looks like a discarded crisp packet 😂

19 minutes ago, Archied said:

Have just bought a brand new one , it’s something I had never done before though I’ve bought brand new vans before and after about a month they look like crappy old working vans ,

at 62 this will be the last nice car I buy and wanted the experience of having one from new and looking after it but I am a car lover , the wife just doesn’t care about cars , hers now looks like a discarded crisp packet 😂

Neither of ours is ready for the scrapper, but we've decided we can probably get by with just one car. Ww aren't yet ready to go fully electric so we'll probably go for a hybrid sometime in the next 2 years and trade in the current cars if possible.

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Still the Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec.

As a pensioner, I can't see me ever buying another car.

Saying that, it's just cost me over 2 grand to get mine sorted. Power steering went completely - had to have the lot (compressor, pump, pipes etc) replaced. It was the 20 hours labour that was the killer.

I really did think long and hard about scrapping it, but in the end I decided to get it sorted. In fairness, it's the only major problem I've had with it in 12 years.

It's a case of needs must I guess Eddie, The mechanic where I take my car advised If he was me he'd sell while I might get a fare price, I thought all day Friday shall I...shan't I, I have a bus pass, Where I live I have all that this "old un" needs, Shops, Doctors, Boozer(if wanted)Chemist, Birds bakery.

I can walk/bus to Lidl at the Barracks to get my German sausage 😁 and the Daughter said she can take me to Aldi if needed, That'll be when I stock up on stuff.

£500 a year for Tax/insurance and MOT then fuel(not a lot)on top is it worth keeping a car 🤷‍♂️, Looking on ebay last night at one of these image.png.2ea32f04352e06ff4d180539c9c9df1b.png get a bike...job done ☺️

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Neither of ours is ready for the scrapper, but we've decided we can probably get by with just one car. Ww aren't yet ready to go fully electric so we'll probably go for a hybrid sometime in the next 2 years and trade in the current cars if possible.

The wife has a seven seater as she needs it for childminding , I have my own because hers smells of poo nappies , is full of crumbs and it’s a dot on the cards that if your dressed nice going out somewhere your going to emerge from it with a toffee stuck to the arse of your best suit 😂

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

It's a case of needs must I guess Eddie, The mechanic where I take my car advised If he was me he'd sell while I might get a fare price, I thought all day Friday shall I...shan't I, I have a bus pass, Where I live I have all that this "old un" needs, Shops, Doctors, Boozer(if wanted)Chemist, Birds bakery.

I can walk/bus to Lidl at the Barracks to get my German sausage 😁 and the Daughter said she can take me to Aldi if needed, That'll be when I stock up on stuff.

£500 a year for Tax/insurance and MOT then fuel(not a lot)on top is it worth keeping a car 🤷‍♂️, Looking on ebay last night at one of these image.png.2ea32f04352e06ff4d180539c9c9df1b.png get a bike...job done ☺️

Surely gonna cost more to hire someone to do the peddling while you sit in the back🤷🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, Archied said:

The wife has a seven seater as she needs it for childminding , I have my own because hers smells of poo nappies , is full of crumbs and it’s a dot on the cards that if your dressed nice going out somewhere your going to emerge from it with a toffee stuck to the arse of your best suit 😂

Tell her to take a leaf out of @The Last Post's book...

kid-cargo-bike.jpg

9 hours ago, Archied said:

Tell us honestly then, is it exempt from ULEZ and did you get money from the scrappage scheme?