Car you currently drive?

AmericanRam

13 hours ago, Rev said:

Yeah, I know that. I've even had a  friend who've bought on finance, settled as soon as possible and split the commission with the salesman.

I normally finance my car, but right now I'm looking at 25% interest rate over typical ownership, 40k repayable for a 30k car, doesn't make sense if I can avoid it, especially when you bring depreciation into the equation. 

I'm just curious Rev with this question, Why would you pi$$ £30k on a car, Fair play to your other half, I know very little about cars, You put your key in the ignition and hope it starts, If it goes forwards and backwards...job done

Is it something you have saved up for?, I get as to why people like nice motors, Some just to park on their drive to show the neighbours or how well off they are, Not saying that this is yourself, Maybe the Wife tho ?

Will it be used a lot or just parked on the drive or Garaged, I'm guessing garage.

If I ever win millions on the lottery which is doubtful as I don't play the lottery I wouldn't dream of paying that much...maybe £10/£12k.

Hope all goes well for you ?

I'm honestly surprised that many people are looking to buy new cars unless they have to, at the moment, with prices being as inflated as they are.

We bought a Hyundai Kona (brand new) for Mrs Wolfie and 21 plate ones like hers are on Autotrader for 2 grand more than we paid for hers over a year ago.

I will have paid off the loan on my BMW X1 in January and I'd normally then swap it for a nearly new one and take out another loan for the balance over and above my equity - which should be about 16-18 grand or so. I won't be doing so this time, though, because the prices for nearly new (<12 months) examples are just mental.

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I'm just curious Rev with this question, Why would you pi$$ £30k on a car, Fair play to your other half, I know very little about cars, You put your key in the ignition and hope it starts, If it goes forwards and backwards...job done

Is it something you have saved up for?, I get as to why people like nice motors, Some just to park on their drive to show the neighbours or how well off they are, Not saying that this is yourself, Maybe the Wife tho ?

Will it be used a lot or just parked on the drive or Garaged, I'm guessing garage.

If I ever win millions on the lottery which is doubtful as I don't play the lottery I wouldn't dream of paying that much...maybe £10/£12k.

I've had a long line of bangers until fairly recently, and to be honest I don't feel you save that much overall by buying cheaper cars, once you factor in maintenance and higher fuel and insurance costs, mots and breakdown cover etc.

Normally I'd finance a new car, either interest free or very low Apr, but no deals like that exist now. 

12 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Thing is your not pissing it in terms of spending it on holidays or down the pub, you still have a sellable asset if you want to cash it in ,, yes you’ve got depreciation but that’s a small cost you pay out for the pleasure and I can honestly tell you I don’t really give much of a poo about what people think about what car I drive ( I know some people do) I just really enjoy driving it , I spend most of my time in a dirty work van and get pleasure from the car , I don’t drink so don’t do pubs and stuff, given that the interest on saving for ages has been next to bugger all for so long I just figured I might as well have it sitting in a car that brings me pleasure as sitting in the bank and if I get a bit skint will sell it ,,, your a long time dead??‍♂️

10 hours ago, Archied said:

Thing is your not pissing it in terms of spending it on holidays or down the pub, you still have a sellable asset if you want to cash it in ,, yes you’ve got depreciation but that’s a small cost you pay out for the pleasure and I can honestly tell you I don’t really give much of a poo about what people think about what car I drive ( I know some people do) I just really enjoy driving it , I spend most of my time in a dirty work van and get pleasure from the car , I don’t drink so don’t do pubs and stuff, given that the interest on saving for ages has been next to bugger all for so long I just figured I might as well have it sitting in a car that brings me pleasure as sitting in the bank and if I get a bit skint will sell it ,,, your a long time dead??‍♂️

Can't fault you Archie and Rev, Horses for courses I guess, My most treasured possession is my 55" Fire TV, With being retired I get a lot of viewing time in, Daughter put a couple of Apps on it, Now get free football, Channels/movies galore.

My trusty Vauxhall Corsa just sits on the drive, I have everything I need within 10mins walking distance, Pubs, Asda, Doctors, Walks, I have a free bus pass, So a car is not really needed for me, I was thinking of selling it but that convenience of having 4 wheels if I want to just take off for a couple of days is stopping me ?‍♀️ 

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Can't fault you Archie and Rev, Horses for courses I guess, My most treasured possession is my 55" Fire TV, With being retired I get a lot of viewing time in, Daughter put a couple of Apps on it, Now get free football, Channels/movies galore.

My trusty Vauxhall Corsa just sits on the drive, I have everything I need within 10mins walking distance, Pubs, Asda, Doctors, Walks, I have a free bus pass, So a car is not really needed for me, I was thinking of selling it but that convenience of having 4 wheels if I want to just take off for a couple of days is stopping me ?‍♀️ 

Yep , comes down to the things that give us pleasure in life , we work hard enough and you can’t take it with you

I had a moan to the sales manager, and customer service suddenly became their forte. 

Arranged to travel down to Croydon today to pick her up, a bargain at £30 on the train, and arrived at the dealership just past noon. 

Heavy showers, so after a quick inspection head inside to sign to sort out the final few bits, I'd already paid in full.  

It is due a service next month, so they said they'd sort it, so I asked to see the service history.  

It's had its service, the salesman tells me, but for some reason the service dept has failed to record it, I'll go chase that up.

2 hrs later, and I'm told the car is ready. I suspect they had forgot to service it, and had rushed it through the workshop there and then, a suspicion pretty much confirmed by the car displaying todays date as its date of service.

It's now gone 3pm, no chance of beating rush hour on the M25 to get back, but I'm ready to go home, and should make it back to watch RamsTV.  

I'm passed over to the handover guy, who was great, and he's going to take me through the car features. By now it's bright sunshine, so I give the car another once over. That's when I notice both passenger side wheels are kerbed, by now I'm ready to reject the car and catch the train home. 

In fairness, they whisk the car away somewhere and it returns 45 minutes later with pristine alloys, and a full tank of petrol as way of apology. 

Android auto all set up, just follow the arrows and I'll probably make kick off. 

2 hours later, and after a tour of Central London and what feels like all its many suburbs, including Kings Road, Earls Court, Grenfell Tower, and the Westway, and I've still only managed to get above 20mph for the briefiest moments.

I at least got to experience the Hangar Lane gyratory system, which I'd only heard about on traffic reports, so that was a bucket list moment!

All this accompanied by a picture of Sally Pepper on the dash, which despite every effort I can't remove for love or money.

I then get the full RD build up to the game, via the Internet, and amazingly it doesn't disconnect when the game kicks off, as usual, but carries on long enough that I'm in range of DAB to still hear the game when they pull the plug.

I finally get in, 14 hours after setting off, and rush in just in time to see Didzys penalty!

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2L 2014 Limited Edition - first and only car so far.

I love it - great little runaround and I actually think it looks pretty sharp. I'm going to be so sad to see it go when I inevitably replace it in a few years.

What I don't like, however, is the amount of young lads who try and race me, presumably thinking it's some 18 year old behind the wheel. I'm 30 years old and have no intention of ending up in an accident or having my license revoked, thank you very much.

• 1 month later...

As a footnote, my old car has been overlooked for a long while on Cazoo.

It's now up for sale for more than a grand less than I sold it to Webuyanycar.com, yet has been serviced and had the alloys attended to. 

No wonder they've lost most of their peak market value, in an effort to appear honest they're highlighting faults which aren't really there. 

https://www.cazoo.co.uk/car-details/4f5bc4f0-8f30-55f1-ab62-fece7e023452/

The only thing which can't be polished out is the very slight dent in the rear passenger door, which any decent paint less repairer should solve for £100 or less.

It's an absolute bargain at the price it's now advertised as, 6000 miles in 3 years and never been thrashed. 

9 hours ago, Rev said:

As a footnote, my old car has been overlooked for a long while on Cazoo.

It's now up for sale for more than a grand less than I sold it to Webuyanycar.com, yet has been serviced and had the alloys attended to. 

No wonder they've lost most of their peak market value, in an effort to appear honest they're highlighting faults which aren't really there. 

https://www.cazoo.co.uk/car-details/4f5bc4f0-8f30-55f1-ab62-fece7e023452/

The only thing which can't be polished out is the very slight dent in the rear passenger door, which any decent paint less repairer should solve for £100 or less.

It's an absolute bargain at the price it's now advertised as, 6000 miles in 3 years and never been thrashed. 

Cazoo are struggling, so there might be a lot of bargains while they try and shift some of their over-priced stock. Not a great position to be in with second hand car prices now falling from record highs.

I don't know how many sites they have but they've got a big one on the same business park as my company, with thousands of cars parked up, on and around the runway of an old airforce base. In the last year, they've gone from rapid expansion and trying to buy up any vacant buildings on site, to making a lot of people redundant.