Car you currently drive?

AmericanRam

17 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Just set in motion swapping my 2013 Seat Leon for a Mazda CX-3.

Nowt wrong with them. We were looking at them and Ford Pumas last year for Mrs Wolfie and we probably would have got one but the right mix of heated this and powered that in an automatic weren't available for her.

We ended up with a Hyundai Kona - which is also a good car (if slightly odd looking from the front IMO)

I bought mine brand new nearly two years ago and now I’m retired I thought it would last me long term, I’ve already done nearly 30,000 miles ( lots of them driving to watch Derby all over the country). I was talking to the girl in the showroom and she’s been driving the hybrid and says it averages over 50 mpg. I would happily trade mine in but I don’t think I can justify the expense out of my pension pot.?

0161B4C4-CADD-4053-9416-1B34897A409C.jpeg

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Nowt wrong with them. We were looking at them and Ford Pumas last year for Mrs Wolfie and we probably would have got one but the right mix of heated this and powered that in an automatic weren't available for her.

We ended up with a Hyundai Kona - which is also a good car (if slightly odd looking from the front IMO)

I clearly misjudged the crowd in this thread, I'll talk now ? (probably too much)

I've always just gone for medium/small hatchbacks and tried to go for 'reliable' manufacturers (maybe just reliable in my head) but with an eye for something a little different or extra so I didn't just feel I got the basic package.

1st car - 2005 Vauxhall Astra (1.7 Diesel, the leather heated seats fulfilled 'extras') - turbo went, got rid ASAP after fixing it.
2nd car -  2011 Volvo C30 (2.0, Petrol) - didn't see many about, liked the body shape, liked it for speed but the lack of fuel efficiency was killing me.
3rd car - 2013 Seat Leon (1.6, Diesel) - Technology Pack so LED headlamps & other small differences - Nothing wrong with it, I just thought that it's coming up to 10 y/o, I've had it nearly 6, it's due a service in March, but still holds some decent value for part exchange so why keep it and pay out more in maintenance only to get rid of it 6 months later?

I think the idea of getting a crossover SUV came into my head when seeing a couple of Ford Pumas out and about in the past year, but always somewhere in the back of my mind I've thought that I want a Mazda. I'd walked past Beechwood Mazda (Siddals Road) so many times on the way to the pub/football and thought to myself that they looked really cool cars and I'd quite like one.

It turns out the Mazda I have bought started its life out at that very dealership, so there's a chance I was eyeing up the exact car I've ended up buying all the way back in 2017. Or not. Probably not. It's a nice idea though.

Anyway... it's a 2017 Sport Nav, 1.5 Diesel - Manual, always had manuals) has the leather interior I've missed and a few extra features I haven't had before (reversing camera / sensors... even metallic paint is something I'm enthusing over), and body shape I love the look of. Other cars I've looked at in my budget just don't appeal in the same way, it was this or stick with the Seat.

The test drive was funny, it's one of those cars with the accelerator pedal on the floor, and it's got a 6 speed gear box, keyless ignition. All new things to me. Also of course it's higher than any car I've driven (but crucially no longer or wider than the Seat) so the roundabouts were fun...  I'll stop blathering on now, sorry!

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

I clearly misjudged the crowd in this thread, I'll talk now ? (probably too much)

I've always just gone for medium/small hatchbacks and tried to go for 'reliable' manufacturers (maybe just reliable in my head) but with an eye for something a little different or extra so I didn't just feel I got the basic package.

1st car - 2005 Vauxhall Astra (1.7 Diesel, the leather heated seats fulfilled 'extras') - turbo went, got rid ASAP after fixing it.
2nd car -  2011 Volvo C30 (2.0, Petrol) - didn't see many about, liked the body shape, liked it for speed but the lack of fuel efficiency was killing me.
3rd car - 2013 Seat Leon (1.6, Diesel) - Technology Pack so LED headlamps & other small differences - Nothing wrong with it, I just thought that it's coming up to 10 y/o, I've had it nearly 6, it's due a service in March, but still holds some decent value for part exchange so why keep it and pay out more in maintenance only to get rid of it 6 months later?

I think the idea of getting a crossover SUV came into my head when seeing a couple of Ford Pumas out and about in the past year, but always somewhere in the back of my mind I've thought that I want a Mazda. I'd walked past Beechwood Mazda (Siddals Road) so many times on the way to the pub/football and thought to myself that they looked really cool cars and I'd quite like one.

It turns out the Mazda I have bought started its life out at that very dealership, so there's a chance I was eyeing up the exact car I've ended up buying all the way back in 2017. Or not. Probably not. It's a nice idea though.

Anyway... it's a 2017 Sport Nav, 1.5 Diesel - Manual, always had manuals) has the leather interior I've missed and a few extra features I haven't had before (reversing camera / sensors... even metallic paint is something I'm enthusing over), and body shape I love the look of. Other cars I've looked at in my budget just don't appeal in the same way, it was this or stick with the Seat.

The test drive was funny, it's one of those cars with the accelerator pedal on the floor, and it's got a 6 speed gear box, keyless ignition. All new things to me. Also of course it's higher than any car I've driven (but crucially no longer or wider than the Seat) so the roundabouts were fun...  I'll stop blathering on now, sorry!

You didn’t mention the “touring van” ? ?

We have a Cupra formentor plug in hybrid now,it's a crossover so sits higher than a standard hatchback but lower than a suv.

Nippy but comfy too and we generally run in ev mode as our commute is less than 30 miles a day....60 mpg in hybrid mode on longer journeys.

The only downside to the car is having everything being run through the touchscreen including the heating controls which is a pta!

PXL_20211216_162402322.jpg

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We have a Cupra formentor plug in hybrid now,it's a crossover so sits higher than a standard hatchback but lower than a suv.

Nippy but comfy too and we generally run in ev mode as our commute is less than 30 miles a day....60 mpg in hybrid mode on longer journeys.

The only downside to the car is having everything being run through the touchscreen including the heating controls which is a pta!

PXL_20211216_162402322.jpg

Got a Cupra Born on the way (ordered last July and was delayed in November until end of March). Really looking forward to it but not looking forward to VW Groups latest round of touchscreen control everything!

46 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Got a Cupra Born on the way (ordered last July and was delayed in November until end of March). Really looking forward to it but not looking forward to VW Groups latest round of touchscreen control everything!

It is crap, especially on the born because they put haptic controls on the steering wheel too (the formentors have normal ones)

Vw group are going back to actual physical buttons and dials on the updates

On 19/01/2023 at 13:12, Ram@Lincoln said:

Has anyone had the Dacia Jogger? Looking for my ever growing family so having 7 seats is crucial. £23k for a brand new top of the range hybrid, looks a decent deal.

The other half has now tested out the Dacia Jogger and the Duster over the week, she doesn't like them. Any other recommendations for a 7 seater? Have upto around the £25k mark to spend, would prefer electric/hybrid as I get free charging at work. 

edit - if not 7 seats, just a big interior. Keep the kids at bay on long journeys!

Edited by Ram@Lincoln

37 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

The other half has now tested out the Dacia Jogger and the Duster over the week, she doesn't like them. Any other recommendations for a 7 seater? Have upto around the £25k mark to spend, would prefer electric/hybrid as I get free charging at work. 

edit - if not 7 seats, just a big interior. Keep the kids at bay on long journeys!

Wife has a Toyota Versa, petrol , been very reliable decent car

On 26/01/2023 at 11:18, Archied said:

Wife has a Toyota Versa, petrol , been very reliable decent car

Any knowledge of the Toyota Prius+? The wife has been car shopping and decided upon one. From the look of things, we can get a 2019 version with 20k ish miles on the clock. I'm just not sure myself, I'm still a fan of the Dacia Jogger even if we got a top of the line one, it's cheaper and brand new so swings it for me. 

2 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Any knowledge of the Toyota Prius+? The wife has been car shopping and decided upon one. From the look of things, we can get a 2019 version with 20k ish miles on the clock. I'm just not sure myself, I'm still a fan of the Dacia Jogger even if we got a top of the line one, it's cheaper and brand new so swings it for me. 

Taxi drivers love em, so they must be cheap to run and maintain, and reliable.  

An added bonus with Toyota, as long as you service the car with their main dealers, they'll provide a further years warranty until the cars 10 years old, or has 100000 miles on the clock. This applies even on cars that have been serviced elsewhere, or indeed not at all.

3 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Sorry no , never driven one or know anybody who has one , they became popular with cab companies so presume the mpg is decent

21 minutes ago, Rev said:

Taxi drivers love em, so they must be cheap to run and maintain, and reliable.  

An added bonus with Toyota, as long as you service the car with their main dealers, they'll provide a further years warranty until the cars 10 years old, or has 100000 miles on the clock. This applies even on cars that have been serviced elsewhere, or indeed not at all.

Yes Toyota do decent cars and good value

• 9 months later...

Not worthy of a new thread, but a bump of this one should suffice...

Looking for semi-decent carpeting for the back of my new van, which I'm collecting in a couple of hours, so if anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears!  Grey or black preferred, but not a deal-breaker!

There's a 2+1 seat arrangement in the back.  I'm happy to cut out for seat fittings (and lashing points) if need be, as I'd like the carpet to be in one piece, from the back of the front seats (1+1) to the rear tailgate threshold.  Would prefer hemmed, so I'm just trying to avoid an end-of-roll remnant from a domestic carpet shop! 🤣  The "scatterd rug" look is a tad too hipster for me, too! 👀 

There are options for multi-piece vehicle-specific carpets, (Some of which are far too expensive for my liking!) shaped and hemmed around that second row of seats, with a larger carpet for the main "empty" rear (behind those seats).   But I'm not so keen on the multi piece option though, hence my desire for a "Covers the lot" option.  (There may be times when all 3 rear seats come out, for camping abroad?)

If it matters, the van is a VW Transporter T6.1 Highline Kombi - SWB - Sliding door each side. 

If I can get the desired effect for a £100 or less, I'll be delighted!  😎

I'll do some digging of course, but if anyone has any suggestions, it'd be appreciated.

Cheers.  🍻