Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

20 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

I could see the punches landing and the screens like I was watching TV. Been to many fights? Unless you have a lot of spare cash you ain't sitting anywhere near ringside!

Never been to any. But I've had eyes and experienced vision for 46 years and consider myself well versed on what a good view of something is :)

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Cannot believe Joshua is still being called a hype job after a fight where he proved everything to the contrary. Not sure why casuals talk like this. But hey ho.

Had a good view for this one, place went mental.

92rpMGEh.jpg

Funnily enough I was directly behind some DCFC season ticket holders, we get everywhere.

He is a hype job done by Eddie Hearn. Doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic fighter though. Fury schooled Klitschko IN GERMANY but Fury was given no-where near as much credit as Joshua is getting because he is too controversial and outspoken. Joshua's only other half decent opponent(Charles Martin) was injured when they fought. 

3 hours ago, sage said:

I'd like to see him fight you after you call him a hype job :D

He'd batter me and anyone else on this forum to a pulp but any professional boxer would be able to do that. He is clearly a talent but he is clearly being overhyped at the moment. Would people rate him as much if it wasn't for Eddie Hearn? I very much doubt it. Joshua hasn't properly proved himself in a hostile atmosphere yet whereas Fury went to Germany and schooled klitschko, who wasn't given half as much credit as Joshua is at the moment. He had no idea how to counter Fury. Fury is a few inches taller than Joshua so Joshua would have to adapt if he were to fight fury and show if he win a proper boxing match rather than going for KOs.

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Cannot believe Joshua is still being called a hype job after a fight where he proved everything to the contrary. Not sure why casuals talk like this. But hey ho.

Had a good view for this one, place went mental.

92rpMGEh.jpg

Funnily enough I was directly behind some DCFC season ticket holders, we get everywhere.

Looks more like a glow-worm cave than Wembley

Just now, McLovin said:

He'd batter me and anyone else on this forum to a pulp but any professional boxer would be able to do that. He is clearly a talent but he is clearly being overhyped at the moment. Would people rate him as much if it wasn't for Eddie Hearn? I very much doubt it. Joshua hasn't properly proved himself in a hostile atmosphere yet whereas Fury went to Germany and schooled klitschko, who wasn't given half as much credit as Joshua is at the moment. He had no idea how to counter Fury. Fury is a few inches taller than Joshua so Joshua would have to adapt if he were to fight fury and show if he win a proper boxing match rather than going for KOs.

He is the World Champion. He has retained the IBF title 3 times. He is unbeaten. He holds 3 world title belts. He was Olympic Champion. Should me ignore him?

The fact that you think yesterday wasn't a proper boxing match is incredible.

9 minutes ago, sage said:

He is the World Champion. He has retained the IBF title 3 times. He is unbeaten. He holds 3 world title belts. 

Inside 19 fights too!!

Compare that with who you like. Who has taken on the equivalent of Wlad inside 19 fights and knocked him down 3 times and knocked him out? 

What more do people want from him. 

Anybody who's seen much of Wlad will admit that last night was a good version of the legend. That's was no old man. Maybe he wasn't at his peak but the beauty is.... Neither is our British pride Anthony Joshua!! 

33 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Not sure i totally agree with you but going to give you some support as I part understand the sentiment about Fury. People can loathe him as a character but it was a bigger achievement in my eyes.

That said I still think A.J's own achievement last night was equally right up there considering how little ring time with real contenders, not punchbags he's had. That he nearly ran out of steam in the 5th for me showed such inexperience. Yet the courage and determination to stand firm and get through that and the 6th shows he's a big heart and quite resilient.

Would love to see Fury v Joshua but will Fury ever get the legal stuff sorted and will he ever get to near his old shape. Would hate to see him fight AJ out of condition. A proper match up though would be both intriguing and tasty.

13 hours ago, McLovin said:

He is a hype job done by Eddie Hearn. Doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic fighter though. Fury schooled Klitschko IN GERMANY but Fury was given no-where near as much credit as Joshua is getting because he is too controversial and outspoken. Joshua's only other half decent opponent(Charles Martin) was injured when they fought. 

You don't know what hype job means mate, Hearn is just promoting him and taking gambles simple as that. Fury was harshly treated but he does have some pretty major character flaws in terms of mass appeal. The sexism and homophobia can't really be covered up or brushed over at this point.

A hype job is a fighter that has loads of media attention and push but crumbles at the first test, gets beat the first time they step in with quality. Joshua goes against everything that defines a hype job. What you don't like is the hyperbole that surrounds him, but if he continues it was all justified.

Charles Martin wouldn't even be top 5 HWs in the UK so he definitely isn't Joshua's second biggest win. The guy was handed a vacant shot after fighing nobodies in bars then the other guy's knee ligaments disintegrated. He was never a real champion. Hearn saw that he could get an easy world title and thus be able to have more negotiating power. If was a smart piece of management.

I'd say Joshua's biggest win before last night was Molina. Molina is in the pack behind the elite. He's been in with some good fighters and given a good account of himself. 

Joshua just made him look awful by blasting through him. And Molina looked scared. First time in his career he's gone out like that. 

How was Charles Martin injured before the fight anyway? 

Joshua fought some respectable opponents at the level of his career. He's fought experienced guys, undefeated promising guys. He fought Johnson who has never been stopped. Joshua stopped him. Gary Cornish was expected to test Joshua more than he did. 

Like I said, go have a look at other CV's. Show me someone, past or present, that has fought the equivalent of Klitschko inside 19 fights and done what Joshua did. Show me someone who has 3 world titles inside 19 fights. 

If he was a footballer called Gonzalez Incrediblo then he'd be worth £60m. 

There's hype around him because nobody knows his limit. He's entertaining. He goes in there to engage. He's an Olympic gold medalist.

He can literally do nothing more than he's done. 

Who's Joseph Parker, Deontay Wilder's, Wlad Klitschko's, David Haye's biggest fight in there first 19?

Mike Tyson? 

5 hours ago, McRamFan said:

It was like a movie, rang every emotion out of me, just about caught up today!

I have a feeling AJ will have a career like LL, he will get beat once or twice, however will destroy them in the rematch's.

I'm sure he'd take that. What a great fighter Lewis was. His match with Vitali Klitschko is brilliant. 

I remember Lewis getting knocked out by Rahman. Weird moment. Like "no...... no..... Surely not.... what the?..... no..."

I think the rematch was in Africa? Lewis did the job in a couple of rounds. 

AJ won't remain undefeated throughout his career. It's almost impossible as a heavyweight due to so many carrying that one-punch knockout possibility.

You can get away with running around the ring at 147 pounds, but at 200+ you simply can't do it.

I think AJ in terms of athleticism is one of the best heavyweights I've ever seen. However, despite his amazing power and agility, there are big question marks over his defence and head movement.

The knockdown which Wlad performed wasn't anything out of this world. It was just a faint jab into his chest followed by a straight right over the top - similar to what Canelo did to Khan.

This is basic boxing and a move you learn from a very young age. Getting knocked down by it shows a real lack of defence and an obvious weakspot for others to exploit.

It might be basic but Klitschko has knocked out a lot of people over the years with the straight right in fairness! Joshua still has questions to answer for sure but getting off the floor, sticking it out through some tough rounds and exploding to life late on is seriously impressive.

In terms of how he would stack up against Fury that entirely depends on Fury getting the right shape physically and mentally. No doubt he would give Joshua problems but I seriously question Fury's hunger at this point. He hit the top and doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that was ever going to maintain it, some people just aren't programmed that way.

I know it's the fight everyone wants but it possibly wouldn't be as good as Saturday. Fury wouldn't engage. He's the bigger man, reach advantage, probably a better boxer.... Joshua would have to try and get him to trade

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I know it's the fight everyone wants but it possibly wouldn't be as good as Saturday. Fury wouldn't engage. He's the bigger man, reach advantage, probably a better boxer.... Joshua would have to try and get him to trade

Fury has numerous advantages over AJ and he's a better boxer. There is no way he would engage so it probably would be a boring fight. I'd back Fury in a UD - perhaps 8 rounds to 4 if they get it on.

Wilder vs AJ would be much better, as Wilder isn't a great boxer and will look for that KO. That fight would be far more explosive and you could see either getting put down.

I think AJ would KO fury early. Fury is arkward but has been put down by much lesser fighters. If AJ connects it won't be as easy to get up.

my concern for AJ is how long he took to recover from that knock down and more aggressive fighters may be able to force a stoppage.

That said it's worth noting I still think despite the concern I think Joshua is the best.

All these top heavyweights seem to have some weakness. I would suggest Parker could be the biggest threat to AJ as no.1

Canelo vs Chavez Jr on Saturday.

A Chavez Jr win would be a massive blow to Goldon Boy and their cronies.

I like Canelo, but his team are exactly what's wrong with boxing today - treating it as a business rather than a sport.

I've never know a fighter (team) so unwilling to take fights on a level-playing field.

I've no doubt Canelo would fight anyone, but his team are a joke in that they will only sanction fights that give him a huge weight advantage.

All his opponents, except Mayweather, have either had to come up in weight or be drained so much and lose weight. Chavez is going to be so weak in that ring.

And how ironic that team Canelo can go up to 164 without problems to face Jr but refuses to fight GGG at 160 (the proper middleweight weight) and will only fight hin at 155. Jokers.

Catchweights are there to find a fair weight between two fights in different divisions. Canelo's team abuses it to gain the best advantage possible and that's wrong.