Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Just now, Norman said:

They were wrong. Haye was the fitter man, the stronger man as the rounds went on. Feel so gutted go Haye. The man showed more heart than Bellew ever could.

No rematch, please. Haye took 2 rounds to find his range and timing. If it wasn't for the Achilles Bellew would have gone in 6 or 7

If not for the Achilles, Haye would have finished him. He started to look better before the injury. Then we might have had AJ vs Haye sometime down the line, and that would have been over in the first round. Joshua would have had him on toast in front of a packed Wembley Stadium. So be thankful you will never suffer that anticlimax.

Why the hate for Bellew? Genuine question. I love the bloke

That fight was thrilling. 

And massive respect to David Haye. A true warrior tonight. 

Didn't like the shots after the bell but then I didn't enjoy seeing him on one leg. I thought I'd love seeing him hurt after all his hospital threats but nah.

Hope he comes back stronger. 

2 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

lets be honest, none of them are great. Just entertaining, thats all. 

To be fair bellew has never been great but Haye in his day 'was' great. In his prime he was a bloody good boxer. I still think a prime david haye would beat joshua... he wouldnt now but i think in his prime he was made for him.

Even thought he's abit of a bell its a shame to see haye go out like that 

Very harsh criticising Bellew. He's a cruiserweight. He took Haye's shots and lasted way beyond the point anybody thought he would

He's a WBC cruiserweight champion of the world who just fought a top heavyweight. 

He might not be Evander Holyfield but if you think that's embarrassing ... I don't know what to say.

If one man was an elite boxer and the other was a clown then it would never have gone to round 4, 6 or 11.

Sometimes it's harder psychologically to fight someone when they're handicapped. It's like in football if a team goes down to 10 men logic would tell you that the team with 11 men would win but we know better than anyone that isn't always the case. I got the feeling that Bellew was trying to not hurt Haye when Haye injured himself. Bellew even said in the interview that he was calling for Haye's corner to throw in the towel in case Haye damaged his health because Haye couldn't move without stumbling.

Haye was at his best as a cruiserweight when he beat Mormeck. Since then, and after beating Valuev, his fights have been a disappointment and always clouded with controversy (usually an injury).

Considering he won the cruiserweight world title at 26, his career has been mismanaged since then.

He should have been involved in much bigger fights than he has been in. Much bigger.

There is no real comparison with AJ. Both totally different types of fighters.

22 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Why the hate for Bellew? Genuine question. I love the bloke

That fight was thrilling. 

And massive respect to David Haye. A true warrior tonight. 

Didn't like the shots after the bell but then I didn't enjoy seeing him on one leg. I thought I'd love seeing him hurt after all his hospital threats but nah.

Hope he comes back stronger. 

A lot of people (like myself) dislike Eddie Hearn which affects assumptions. There's something sneaky about him that I can't quite put my finger on

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

A lot of people (like myself) dislike Eddie Hearn. There's something sneaky about him that I can't quite put my finger on

Yeah. I dunno whether I like him or not. His shows are pretty decent. But when he's selling fights he has a tendency to patronise people. 

Or the way he's latched on to Dave Allen.

He threw him in with Luis Ortiz yesterday and then tells us Allen needs to slowly develop today... Oh, and he's fought twice in a week!

Thought the Brook v GGG was a bit of a farce too. GGG is not the middleweight to be going up two weights to fight.

But he's making British Champions. He does some big fights. 

Brook v Erroll Spence should be good.

38 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Prime Haye was what Joshua is now but he turned arrogant. Hopefully Joshua doesn't do the same

Disagree. Joshua now would still beat Haye. And Haye didn't turn arrogant, he turned old. He's only been really arrogant since the hype for this fight. There was no hint of taking De Mori or Gjerjaj lightly, and he was pretty switched on and sensible for those. No bragging, no nonsense. He was even being nice to AJ at that point, said he was a fantastic talent and would love to take him on and may the best man win and all that. Bellew called him out and suddenly he decided to play the bad guy. Because that's where the money is.

He was the good guy when he was taking on Andre the Giant Nikolai Valuev.

Eddie Hearn has done wonders for British boxing. How many world champions? His shows are by far the best too. Much better than Boxnation, BT Sport and that joke of a show ITV put on.

He's brilliant at promoting and selling fights. 

It's hard for him to strike the right balance between fights which the fans want to see and making sure he has his fighters' best interests at heart. 

The Brook/GGG fight wasn't the best of calls. But fans still wanted to see it, and no other British fighter seemed to want to get in the ring with him. He did well to get GGG over to England.

He will naturally get some wrong. But he's often in a no-win situation with some fans. They curse the fact some fighters never fight the best out there, then when they do it's criticised for safety reasons.

40 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Very harsh criticising Bellew. He's a cruiserweight. He took Haye's shots and lasted way beyond the point anybody thought he would

He's a WBC cruiserweight champion of the world who just fought a top heavyweight. 

He might not be Evander Holyfield but if you think that's embarrassing ... I don't know what to say.

If one man was an elite boxer and the other was a clown then it would never have gone to round 4, 6 or 11.

Highly debatable. He had no punching power left when he had both legs, let alone when he had one.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Eddie Hearn has done wonders for British boxing. How many world champions? His shows are by far the best too. Much better than Boxnation, BT Sport and that joke of a show ITV put on.

He's brilliant at promoting and selling fights. 

It's hard for him to strike the right balance between fights which the fans want to see and making sure he has his fighters' best interests at heart. 

The Brook/GGG fight wasn't the best of calls. But fans still wanted to see it, and no other British fighter seemed to want to get in the ring with him. He did well to get GGG over to England.

He will naturally get some wrong. But he's often in a no-win situation with some fans. They curse the fact some fighters never fight the best out there, then when they do it's criticised for safety reasons.

I think the problem might be just how much he loves the limelight. He loves getting his mug in front of the camera with that ****-eating grin. In plenty of cases, he overshadows the guy he is actually promoting. He gets talent and just stands in front of them going "Yeah, this guy is a real threat to the division. Also, I'm promoting him. Me. I'm the best. Don't I just always get the best guys? King Edward of Hearn proudly presents..."

No doubt his shows are always good though.

Keith Thurman wins SD.

116-112, 115-113, 113-115

I can't believe the decision. Thurman schooled Garcia. I had him winning 8 of the first 10 rounds (with the others barely anything in it). He gave the last two rounds away knowing he was well ahead. I can't believe one of the judges scored it towards Garcia. He wasn't even the aggressor despite being behind throughout.

Thurman's movement is sublime. Defensively he's a rock, and he's got a mean uppercut. Thought he was going to end it within the first two rounds as he rocked Garcia with some huge punches.

Credit Garcia though. Better defensively than he's given credit for, and he's got a solid chin. But how on earth a judge called him to win. He was far too tentative throughout the fight. Didn't want to engage.

Crazy stuff. But judges see different things, prefer different styles. It's weird. I get those favouring a more aggressive style, but Garcia rarely showed any aggression. What could he have seen to award him 7 rounds?