Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

43 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

He's only insulted Wilder from what I can see

Yeah and he probably had a point but he's hardly beat elites himself. But did you see the interview? You need a paracetamol to get through it all. 

I don't really hate him tbh. Think he's just a bit of a dimwit. 

Has he rearranged the Parker fight yet?

That Joseph Parker hasn't really upped his game since before the Takam fight. Do you think Hughie could beat him? 

On 26/05/2017 at 13:54, Alpha said:

The Brook fight is really exciting. I think I'd put my money on Brook with a late stoppage. Genuinely a great match up. 

Making great fights is easy at that weight

It's finely poised alright, into 4th and can't call it.

28 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

It's finely poised alright, into 4th and can't call it.

Errol Spence could be a force to reckon with, wonder if Amir Khan fancies taking this boy on now.

Spence is the real American deal, they will hype him up after this.

I had Brook winning five of the first six rounds, and he was technically better and stronger. However, it seems like it was a case of fatigue which got him rather than Errol Spence being the superior boxer. 

Brook looked much better in round 6, then a massive twist in round 7.

I had it Spence, Brook, Brook, Brook, Brook, Brook, Spence, Spence, Spence, Spence

5 rounds each going into the 11th, but Spence had the knockdown so was up by one. But I can see why the judges had it for Spence. Over the first six it could have been 4-2 or 3-3.

I'm assuming the judges called it 4-2 Brook after six, then Spence with the next four plus the knockdown means he's up by three heading in to the last two. 

I'm a big Thurman fan, and from what I've seen of the two I still think he is the best welterweight in the world right now - he is the most versatile and adapts to his opponents better than the rest.

I'm convinced Brook would have gone on to beat Spence by UD if he could keep up the levels from the first six rounds where at times he looked the much better technical boxer.

However, it seems the weight loss zapped his energy. From round 7 onwards he was massively fatigued and I don't put that down to Spence's amazing body shots like some may have suggested.

Aside from his lack of fitness, one other thing that slightly disappointed me was Brook's lack of hooks. He's a great counter puncher with jabs and stiffright hands, but one area where Thurman dominates is his ability to mix it up and throw in some hooks on the back foot as well as the front foot.

We're spoilt for choice on the welterweight scene, but I think that's the last time we will see a big welterweight fight on English soil unless Brook/Khan can get made - but does it have the appeal without the belts?

The belts are staying on American soil once Pacquiao loses it or retires - Thurman, Spence, Porter and Garcia are all headliners while Broner, Bradley, Alexander, Guerrero and Vargas are also on the scene.

End of round 6 when Brook went back to his corner and Ingle said "Don't say a word... I don't think it has" I knew that was it. His eye was gone. Brook started to slow and spent more time worrying about the eye. It's a real shame. Brook should move up, he's been making 147 for year and at 31 it must be ridiculously draining making that weight for him now.

Sad to see Brook lose but Groves with a brilliant win sort of makes up for it. 

Really thought Brook would prove too strong. Everyone was saying Spence is one of the best body punchers in boxing so maybe that body work made Brook tired?

And the eye... would he have stopped if the Golovkin fight hadn't happened? Has that put fear into him? 

I'm not really interested in the Khan fight. I don't find Khan interesting. He's got fast hands for fancy looking combos but I don't think he has anywhere near the power or defence to trouble the elite bunch. And Brook's appeal would have taken a drop now. Fair or not he's not lost 2 in a row with quitting. Sounds very harsh but it will now put a big question mark over his mental strength. All the best to him. Not a massive fan of Brook but unlike some boxing fans I understand that this isn't WWE. Nobody in the crowd has to worry about Brook for the 40-50 years after he retires. 

Disappointed with Dave Allen too. Nice lad but he's going to end up looking like a comedy sideshow when he's fighting twice in a week, stuffing socks down his pants and then putting in performances like last night. Hearn won't look after him if he doesn't look after himself. Hearn will put him on shows to be a clown if he acts like a clown. 

On 18/05/2017 at 12:42, Alpha said:

I like McGregor and appreciate he's hard as nails. But this isn't street fighting against Nate Diaz or any other UFC fighter. His opponents may have black belts in Kung Fu but none of them have spent their entire lives working on head movement, balance, footwork, ring craft and punching in a boxing ring.

IMG_2588.GIF

Josh Taylor v Ohara Davis is made.

This fight could have been for world titles in a 2 years. Both really exciting fighters. Strong, clever, aggressive fighters. 

Ohara makes all his fights by being a twit on Twitter. 

I'd be surprised if the first meeting will be the last. It's on Channel 5 too I think. Should grab more boxing popularity if these two perform as they have so far