Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Wlad didn't get knocked down or out either

And Fury was 27 or 26 fights in. 

Not that Fury didn't achieve something amazing. He did. But all those saying that he didn't get hit? No, he didn't land any hurtful shots either. 

I understand Joshua's defence isn't the greatest but how many boxers are going to come better than Wlad?

That front foot invading your space. To hit him he makes you lean over it and then he's got you.  That jab constantly coming. Then he uses that same hand to move you. His defence and attack are all in one.

And he got knocked down 3 times and out.

Joshua is a superb counter puncher. Wlad managed to negate that but I don't believe many others could.

Fury could. But has he got anything to test Joshua's defence

Wilder? Parker? Wilder isn't a great boxer. He was getting picked apart by Washington. Rocked by Molina and losing to Szpilka. 

Parker... hmm. Accurate but doesn't seem on Joshua's level.

Basically even with his questionable defence he still has something to seriously threaten the others. 

Landing on Fury or getting him to engage would be a problem. 

But he's still under 20 fights. 

What scalp did Tyson or Lewis take inside 20 fights. He has to start somewhere. And he's started bloody well!!

13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He's a brilliant boxer and most importantly a fantastic bloke but I'd like to see him take a fight against the real top heavyweight. Klitschko is a legend and brought himself into brilliant shape for tonight but I don't consider him as one of the best anymore. The heavyweight division is certainly looking a lot more exciting now with joshua, wilder, Parker and Tyson fury to soon come back. Wilder's right though. Having a single title would make the division even more exciting.

Screw titles. It's names on the record that make the fighter

Parker struggled with Takam and Ruiz. Wilder has power but rocked by Molina, down on points to Szpilka and outclassed by Washington. 

People will keep moving the target for Joshua. Apply the same logic to other fighters and they don't stand up so well.

Even the highly rated Luis Ortiz. Watching him struggle with Malik Scott makes me think he'd struggle with Fury. Watching him punch Dave Allen makes him look less scary. 

Joshua's record holds up against anyone. 

Not that I'm saying the others aren't a threat. Just that haters will struggle to apply anything that can't be turned on any fighter now. 

If that Klitschko had fought Deontay Wilder based on any of the Americans last 3 outings then Wlad would have won tonight. 

9 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Ooooh Anthony Joshua.

in all honesty I was shitting it I thought he was done. Very relieved, I think Joshua is beatable now though. 

No boxer is unbeatable - except Marciano, of course.

What a gripping and entertaining fight.

Until the last round, I had Klitschko winning the fight. He showed his experience and outfoxed and outclassed Joshua for the majority of the fight.

What a chin Klitschko has. How he took some of the shots Joshua landed, I'll never know. That uppercut in the 11th was murderous! All in all, Joshua's power was the difference maker tonight.

Joshua showed great heart and determination to battle back. It really looked like he had cooked his goose with the shots that led to Klitschko going down in the 5th. Klitschko took over after that and how.

It was the acid test for Joshua, one he passed, but it's also fair to say Klitschko exposed some major holes in his game and made him look very beatable.

Fortunately for Joshua, he simply isn't going to face anyone of the same calibre from here on in.

22 minutes ago, needles said:

Didn't understand why they boo'd Hearn...can anyone explain?

I know!

If it's about undercards then take a look at the rivals in America. 

If it's about main events.. well, Haye v Bellew and AJ v Wlad were well worth  £20 after what you get for  £20 in football!

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I know!

If it's about undercards then take a look at the rivals in America. 

If it's about main events.. well, Haye v Bellew and AJ v Wlad were well worth  £20 after what you get for  £20 in football!

Thanks. I quite enjoyed the Quigg fight though.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Until the last round, I had Klitschko winning the fight. He showed his experience and outfoxed and outclassed Joshua for the majority of the fight.

What a chin Klitschko has. How he took some of the shots Joshua landed, I'll never know. That uppercut in the 11th was murderous! All in all, Joshua's power was the difference maker tonight.

Joshua showed great heart and determination to battle back. It really looked like he had cooked his goose with the shots that led to Klitschko going down in the 5th. Klitschko took over after that and how.

It was the acid test for Joshua, one he passed, but it's also fair to say Klitschko exposed some major holes in his game and made him look very beatable.

Fortunately for Joshua, he simply isn't going to face anyone of the same calibre from here on in.

I don't think any fighter comes forward like Wlad does but comes forward with a defence.

That foot that he puts there. So to land you have to go over the top of it. If he catches you with your weight on the front foot with a counter punch...

Then that jab. Constantly poking at you. Moving you.

Then when you land something to move that foot back as soon as you step forward to capitalise then Wlad steps in and smothers your shots.

Nobody is such a complete fighter as that. 

That foot and jab got him through 10 years of opponents. 

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't think any fighter comes forward like Wlad does but comes forward with a defence.

That foot that he puts there. So to land you have to go over the top of it. If he catches you with your weight on the front foot with a counter punch...

Then that jab. Constantly poking at you. Moving you.

Then when you land something to move that foot back as soon as you step forward to capitalise then Wlad steps in and smothers your shots.

Nobody is such a complete fighter as that. 

That foot and jab got him through 10 years of opponents. 

Great analysis.

People forget that Klitschko was fighting professionally at the same time that Asanovic was lighting up the Baseball Ground.

To fight like he did tonight at the age of 41 shows remarkable longevity. It was a great display of technique, ring control, fitness, stamina and durability.

But with the power that Joshua possesses, it always keeps him in the fight and in the end, it proved too much.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I had Wlad winning too, but two of the three judges didn't so I'm glad AJ won the KO as it could have been a controversial points decision and that's not what we want to see.

One judge in particular had it 96-93 for AJ heading in to round 11. 7 rounds to 3. Nah, no way.

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I had Wlad winning too, but two of the three judges didn't so I'm glad AJ won the KO as it could have been a controversial points decision and that's not what we want to see.

One judge in particular had it 96-93 for AJ heading in to round 11. 7 rounds to 3. Nah, no way.

I had it bang square after 10, my buddy had Klitscko up by a round. I think Josh had the momentum though and I felt he'd nick it in the last two rounds. Would have been controversial though. Glad it got done inside the distance.

3 hours ago, needles said:

I had it bang square after 10, my buddy had Klitscko up by a round. I think Josh had the momentum though and I felt he'd nick it in the last two rounds. Would have been controversial though. Glad it got done inside the distance.

I think perhaps it would have ended in a draw. Maybe even if Klitschko had snuck another round.

Everyone in boxing benefits from a rematch rather than a Wlad win. 

It's not good but that's what boxing is like isn't it?

Cannot believe Joshua is still being called a hype job after a fight where he proved everything to the contrary. Not sure why casuals talk like this. But hey ho.

Had a good view for this one, place went mental.

92rpMGEh.jpg

Funnily enough I was directly behind some DCFC season ticket holders, we get everywhere.

Just now, tomsdubs said:

Cannot believe Joshua is still being called a hype job after a fight where he proved everything to the contrary. Not sure why casuals talk like this. But hey ho.

Had a good view for this one, place went mental.

92rpMGEh.jpg

Funnily enough I was directly behind some DCFC season ticket holders, we get everywhere.

That's a decent view?

I'd get a better view on the radio.

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

That's a decent view?

I'd get a better view on the radio.

I could see the punches landing and the screens like I was watching TV. Been to many fights? Unless you have a lot of spare cash you ain't sitting anywhere near ringside!