Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

part of the Joshua 'problem' is not the fact he's faced opponents he should beat easily, it's the fact he's been put in the PPV Hype machine prior to being ready.

Sky and Hearn are awful for this, and am pretty sure they did it with David Price, before unceremoniously casting him aside.

Fury deserves more hype than he gets, yet Joshua gets more than he's earned.

I have a resentment towards Joshua simply cos of the propaganda surrounding him and the way viewers are treated in a bid to get the PPV sales up. We know he's talented, we can see it, we don't need you to act as if he's Muhammed I'm Hard Bruce-Lee though.

That resentment should be towards Hearn/Sky though not Joshua. Joshua, imo, should have our support as our big hope for the heavyweight scene. Who have we had? Even Lewis was Canadian! He's exciting, he's sound, he's won a gold medal. We need to be celebrating British sporting heroes not building them up and tearing them down like we always do. 

As for PPV. Hearn is a promoter. At the end of the day his job is to sell us fights. Any salesman is going to hype a product. And it's proof that demand is there because people buy it. I like Hearn but you have to remember what he is. 

Every week thousands and thousands in this country spend £30 going to football. £30 going to see an hour and half of football where there's no guarantee you'll have fun or be entertained. You go to the cinema now and it's more than a PPV event. WWF/WWE have always done their big events on PPV and that's monthly!! It's the only time titles are won or lost from what I remember. The weekly shows are just filler. 

There's no way Haye and Bellew would have fought on Sky Sports 1. Just not worth the money. There's no way Wlad would come here to fight Joshua if not for the money in PPV. It's a necessary evil to generate the money to tempt fighters.

Thanks to PPV all the top fighters want to fight here. Golovkin came over. Wilder wants to come over. Degale wants to come back. 

All the fights are on YouTube Sunday morning. But I don't mind paying. I waste money on worse things than paying two blokes to punch each other for fun. At least Matchroom undercards are pretty good. 

The last PPV, Joshua v Molina had Chisora v Whyte on it. That was a great brawl 

There is an interview for IFLTV on YouTube where Hearn explains why it all has to be PPV. 

Frank Warren clearly agrees and even ITV are on board.

It just pays the bills and gets fighters to take risks. 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Kahn v Pacquiao is dead apparently. The investment group putting up the cash for the fight didn't come through with the money. Shame, that could have been an entertaining watch.

Eddie Hearn called that. 

He said that fight wouldn't sell. They obviously floated the idea and nobody fancied it. 

Think majority of people want to see Khan fight Brook rather than take big paydays for impossible tasks like Canelo, Paquiao and Mayweather. 

He somehow made himself sell really well for a long time. I think now he might have to actually build up again. 

He's a bit of a celebrity boxer now isn't he. He does like one off specials rather than has a serious career. 

Maybe it's time to hang up the gloves or rebuild, sell himself and then deliver on his agreement to fight Brook. Be a fight between pensioners if Khan keeps stalling. 

Brook vs Khan would just play out like most of Khan's recent fights, moves around the ring well for a few rounds then runs in to a well timed big shot when his opponent adjusts. When people talk about fighters with bad chins Khan is the poster boy, KOd at all weights. Glad Brook has Spence rather than that clown, a proper fight between possibly the best fighters in the division.

Khan's not a real welterweight. Has superfast hand speed, but doesn't pack a punch and despite big improvements in his defence under Virgil Hunter, can't take a clean one on the chin.

Any strong welterweight that can bang such as Thurman or Brook will KO him.

He really belongs at 140 with the likes of Broner, Devon Alexander and Roberto Guerrero. Guys who have talent but lack that punch power at 147.

But with so many names and big fights out there, 147 is where the money is. You cant blame these guys moving up in weight

4 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Don't think Jacobs really believed it enough at times tonight, scorecards a bit wide for me. Had GGG by 1 round.

Jacobs put on arguably the best boxing performance of his career. Movement was excellent. However, he was just too passive in those opening two-three rounds and that killed him.

I had GGG 114-113.

Jacobs won the large majority of the middle rounds, with a cleaner jab and hand speed.

Not sure if GGG was ill or what. He was blowing heavily in his corner, and he didn't throw half as many punches as usual especially when he had Jacobs backed up and cornered.

I know he has immense power, but GGG is also a decent boxer but he didn't show that tonight. Technically he was second best, just his aggression and that knockdown won it for him.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Jacobs put on arguably the best boxing performance of his career. Movement was excellent. However, he was just too passive in those opening two-three rounds and that killed him.

I had GGG 114-113.

Jacobs won the large majority of the middle rounds, with a cleaner jab and hand speed.

Not sure if GGG was ill or what. He was blowing heavily in his corner, and he didn't throw half as many punches as usual especially when he had Jacobs backed up and cornered.

I know he has immense power, but GGG is also a decent boxer but he didn't show that tonight. Technically he was second best, just his aggression and that knockdown won it for him.

My main observation with GGG is that he doesn't like to throw with guys, Jacob's trainer was constantly telling Jacobs to double jab to keep GGG at bay. When Jacobs actually got circling with the jab it stopped GGG from marching forward. He could then get his clean combos away, Brook really set a blueprint for a guy to beat GGG. Problem was Jacobs did it for too few rounds, the roaring and shouting bravado that Jacobs did when he landed clean hooks tells me mentally he didn't fully believe in himself. He spent a lot of time being tentative that probably cost him the fight.

I got the feeling Jacobs was a bit too nice, good fighter though. Think he'd beat Saunders, he's nice and compact with swift short counters. Throws nice combos and has the ability to punch while going forwards accurately. The knockdown was legit but I think he wouldn't have hit the deck if Golovkin hadn't have ran in to him.

Decided to stay up for this one as it was a legit #1 vs #2 high level match up, we don't see this enough. My only annoyance with GGG is he has all these plans for mega fights that so much money is riding on him. Not just promotionally but think of all the sanctioning fees for all those belts! I don't like that being in the background when big decisions are being made in close fights. Not that I disagree with the outcome but it doesn't help the credibility.

Triple GGG is the guy in 30-40 years kids are asking the older guys about, I always make the effort to see his fights because he's one of the few potential all time greats around.

Saw the interviews just now with IFL TV. Spence seems like a level-headed guy an clearly has talent, but he wouldn't have faced anyone like Kell Brook before.

Kell Brook has the experience and after losing to Golovkin, the pressure of maintaining a perfect 0 is lifted somewhat and he can acknowledge that no welterweight will ever punch as hard as GGG.

Brook goes in as favourite IMO. I'd be very surprised if Brook gets stopped, so for me it's a case of whether Spence can outpoint him which he has rarely had to during his career thus far.

I'll go with Brook by close decision.

Though must admit I'm intrigued to see whether Kell can actually make the weight safely. 

There was some boxing on a channel called Spike last night.  Josh Taylor from Edinburgh looked a good prospect, he has a 8 - 0 record and is eying up a fight with Ricky Burns. He is trained by Shane McGuigan and Barry was ringside with Frampton. 

Anthony Crolla is talking about good fight tonight, hopefully he has enough left in the tank. 5 live at 1015pm for me. 

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

There was some boxing on a channel called Spike last night.  Josh Taylor from Edinburgh looked a good prospect, he has a 8 - 0 record and is eying up a fight with Ricky Burns. He is trained by Shane McGuigan and Barry was ringside with Frampton. 

Anthony Crolla is talking about good fight tonight, hopefully he has enough left in the tank. 5 live at 1015pm for me. 

Dick Burns?

8 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Masterful performance by Linares, made it look easy.Those uppercuts were nasty.

Feel for Crolla. Been through some tough times and is all heart but Linares way too technical and schooled him, unfortunately. Linares has fought 41 of 45 bouts outside his homeland, has fast hands, throws combos for fun and yep, them uppercuts! Worthy champion right now IMO. As for Crolla, having snubbed a fight with Flanagan he might find his old mate sidestepping him now in favour of a shot at Linares. Shame really.

Also heard talk of Vasyl Lomachenko stepping up to lightweight which is an intriguing proposition. He'd have to carry power with him but for me he's the purest fighter in the game right now, though I'll doubtless be slaughtered for saying as much!

Incidentally, there was a really well written piece on the Beeb site on Joe Gallagher if you've not seen it. Nice insight into him and his fighters and well worth a read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/39333476

• 1 month later...

Joshua v Klitchko predictions?

I've put a tenner on Klitchko just for the value. I'm hoping Joshua wins in style, but is Vlad a step too far at this stage of his career?

I can see Vlad do a Fury on Joshua by jabbing and moving for 12 rounds and racking up the points. 

Wlad to establish the jab, looking to frustrate Joshua who he hopes is hunting for a knockout. He'll win a few rounds in the early fight

Joshua is a far better boxer than he gets credit for. Hes not just a brute. He'll be patient. If he does get frustrated by the jab and push too hard then I can see him taking some good right hands of Wlad.

But eventually I think Wlad will struggle with the pace and Joshua will start landing. Once that happens it's game over. I'm going Joshua in 10.

The only way it ends fast imo is if Wlad for some reason goes hunting. Joshua is a great counter puncher. 

It was funny yesterday. Wilder starting on Bellew. 

"Why didn't you fight Haye"

"I'm only looking to unify. I only want title fights"

"So why you wanting me then?"

"..."

Lol