Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

36 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Josh Taylor v Ohara Davis is made.

This fight could have been for world titles in a 2 years. Both really exciting fighters. Strong, clever, aggressive fighters. 

Ohara makes all his fights by being a twit on Twitter. 

I'd be surprised if the first meeting will be the last. It's on Channel 5 too I think. Should grab more boxing popularity if these two perform as they have so far

Yeah, both have great potential a loss for either wouldn't actually be that bad as both have the ability to become world champions and it's a rematch which will be huge in some 4 or 5 years time.

Degale vs Groves and BJS vs Eubank Jr both would be bigger now than when they fought a few years ago.

Everybody loves a domestic showdown, it's such a shame some look like never getting made.

I want to see...

Groves vs Degale II (Callum Smith to fight both too)

Eubank Jr vs BJS II

Brook vs Khan 

Brook vs Liam Smith at 154

Fury vs Joshua

Bellew vs Dillian Whyte

Lee Selby vs Carl Frampton (Scott Quigg to fight Selby, doubt Frampton would want a rematch)

Edited by Bris Vegas

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah, both have great potential a loss for either wouldn't actually be that bad as both have the ability to become world champions and it's a rematch which will be huge in some 4 or 5 years time.

Degale vs Groves and BJS vs Eubank Jr both would be bigger now than when they fought a few years ago.

Everybody loves a domestic showdown, it's such a shame some look like never getting made.

I want to see...

Groves vs Degale II (Callum Smith to fight both too)

Eubank Jr vs BJS II

Brook vs Khan 

Brook vs Liam Smith at 154

Fury vs Joshua

Bellew vs Dillian Whyte

Lee Selby vs Carl Frampton (Scott Quigg to fight Selby, doubt Frampton would want a rematch)

Agree except with Khan v Brook. I don't want Brook to top up Khans bank account. 

Why does Khan get to hang around for superfights without getting in line. I don't like that guy. 

BJS needs to just fight. Anyone. Someone. His last outing was poor. Another guy I don't like. 

What weight does Eubank want to fight at?

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Agree except with Khan v Brook. I don't want Brook to top up Khans bank account. 

Why does Khan get to hang around for superfights without getting in line. I don't like that guy. 

BJS needs to just fight. Anyone. Someone. His last outing was poor. Another guy I don't like. 

What weight does Eubank want to fight at?

Two fights ago I completely agreed, Brook needs Khan as much as Khan needs Brook now and its a great fight for us fans. BJS is completely overrated and I believe in a rematch Eubank Jr beats him that's joint top of my wish list alongside Groves Degale.

Here's one fight I'm struggling to be excited for, AJ vs Wlad rematch. Joshua said recently he paid him too much respect, as was evident when every time Joshua let his hands go Wlad was hanging on. Think AJ is more aggressive and stops him early second time around. Rather see him in vs Wilder or Parker. Keep collecting those belts.

• 3 weeks later...

Ward v Kovalev II later tonight.

I'm going for a UD Ward. If he can survive the first six rounds without a knockdown he will take it 116-112 or around that.

Kovalev has the power to beat him, but he can't afford to drop his aggression. He has to be on the front foot all the time if he plans to win on points.

What the hell did I just watch? Why did the referee stop it? Kovalev looked hurt, but give him a standing count and allow him to continue. I don't understand why the referee stopped it...

The fight was dirty on the inside, both were punching behind the head and pushing in close.

Thought Ward pulled off the better shots, but Kovalev's aggression and solid jab allowed him to take at least the first three rounds and possibly the sixth. 

I had it Kovalev, Kovalev, Kovalev, Ward, Ward, Kovalev, Ward, Ward - the last being a 10/8 if you allow a standing count meaning Ward starts round nine one point ahead.

I felt Kovalev was breathing heavily and would have fancied Ward to close out the final four rounds, but it was still a rubbish decision. A couple looked like lowblows.

Edited by Bris Vegas

Just catching replays of the final round and the one before that.

Ward was coming on strongly while Kovalev looked to have gassed again. He wasn't throwing fast combos anymore, he wasn't pressing forward and he clearly didn't trust the ref's judgement of the body shots.

I still think the stoppage was stupid, but from then on you could only see one winner so I guess while the ending was controversial, the result of a Ward win would have been inevitable.

On a side note, Rigondeaux's win was a farce. Expect it to be a DQ as he clearly hit after the bell after previously grapping and punching which is illegal anyway.

Really enjoyed Kovalev/Ward. 

Kovalev certainly bagged some early rounds but I thought Ward was always manipulating the fight. He made Kovalev graft hard and then took control. 

Quite a dirty fight. Did Ward lowblow him earlier on when Kovalev doubled over? Didn't see replays of those. 

In the final round he caught him heavy at least once. Saw the replay of that. The lowblow that stopped it I've not seen a replay of. But Kovalev was in big trouble anyway.

I think however many times we do this, Kovalev's power and aggression will win him some early rounds. Ward has the skill to survive these rounds and most importantly he makes sure Kovalev graft while slipping in some shots to slow him down too. Going into those middle rounds Ward... who can beat him? He's a fortress. 

I think Ward fought a near perfect fight and he's got Kovalev sussed now.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SKRam said:

I don't blame them if they've both admitted it's for the cash. Fair play!  Collins says he wants to buy more land for his animals:)

Should be behind the Kings Arms in the car park if they just want a scrap. Should not be encouraged as a professional event, i.e. one where people have to pay.

Horn beats Pacquiao by UD. 115-113, 115-113 and 117-111.

I had Pacquiao controlling the fight and certainly landing more shots than Horn. I really don't know what fight one of the judges was watching, that 117-111 score is a disgrace.

Having said that, it's good to have another welterweight on the scene. Pacquiao should retire for good now, while Horn has opened up a lot of doors to fight some of the American boys in Thurnan, Spence, Garcia and Porter.

Boxing will always be controversial when a decision is ultimately left up to three old men, all with differing opinions on how a fight should be scored. Aggression won this fight according to them.

When you think of it like that, you have to question how Mayweather has remained unbeaten his entire career.

Edited by Bris Vegas

Similarly to when Pacquiao lost to Timothy Bradley (another outrageous decision), I fully expect there to be a rematch between these two in December or something.

Part of me feels this is just one of those big set-ups where a controversial decision allows for a money-spinning rematch. The fact Pacquiao complained to the high heavens about the Mayweather result (a fight he clearly lost) yet is now conveniently respecting this decision (a fight he pretty clearly won) doesn't quite add up for me.

I love boxing, but it's a business after all and it often makes a mockery of the sport.

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Josh Taylor v Ohara Davis tomorrow. Been a great build up and I think it's going to be a great fight. Probably deserves way more viewers than it will get. 

Agreed because it's rare you see two young undefeated fighters fight each other this early in their careers. As for the fight itself, I will go with Taylor winning by UD.

5 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Agreed because it's rare you see two young undefeated fighters fight each other this early in their careers. As for the fight itself, I will go with Taylor winning by UD.

Yeah, I'm sure advisors on both sides would have told them to go off and get titles and fame before going in together for possibly a PPV fight. 

I can't call it. I think Ohara has the power but Josh Taylor punches to the body so well. Either could lose their self control... can't wait. 

Because you went with Taylor I'll go with Ohara in the 10th by stoppage