Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

1 hour ago, Alph said:

Anybody watch Canelo? 

I know it sounds stupid, but if not for the drugs cheating hanging over him he'd be undoubtedly on everyone's all time greats list easily. 

He's getting grief for ducking Benavidez but I'm not sure why so many seem to think that's a scary fight for him. He fought GGG and Bivol. Ok, he timed the GGG one but they were still high risk fights that he wouldn't need to take if he was actually ducking people. I don't get it. 

That Mexican boar meat will always be brought up whenever they talk about the greats and his legacy damaged. 

I don't think I've ever seen Inoue fight. Just highlights. 

I watched both mate. They're both greats really, but a doping rep is always gonna follow a fighter around like a bad funk. Once a fighter has been caught out, the stains don't shift. That said, Canelo hasn't really ducked anyone. Folk will point to GGG1 and say he lost that fight and tbh, I'd agree, but not even his detractors can fairly say that he's not a Hall of Fame type fighter. He's dominated his weight classes for years, what else has he got to prove?

As for Inoue, I do follow his fights and he's freakish. It's all been very Japan focussed and the fight times don't always lend themselves to western fight fans, so his profile remains modest in the UK and US, but it's all there; insane power, footwork you just can't teach and horrible, short, stinging shots that just arrive from everywhere. He reminds me a little of Loma in the way he finds these mad angles and just spears shots through the gaps, but he's genuinely destructive too. I ended up feeling sorry for the other guy. He got pieced up and then peaced out. I think that's 4 weight classes now, for Inoue. Four!!! 😵‍💫

Really impressive from Lauren Price tonight. If ever a amateur champion looked tailor made for the pro-game, it's her. McCaskill predictably came to play rough, but I don't think she or her team did their homework and they came undone in spectacular fashion.  As for Price, she's probably already the biggest thing in women's boxing only 7 fights into her career. World amateur champion, European Champion, Olympic champion and now IBO and WBA World Champion too. That's some CV.

7 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Really impressive from Lauren Price tonight. If ever a amateur champion looked tailor made for the pro-game, it's her. McCaskill predictably came to play rough, but I don't think she or her team did their homework and they came undone in spectacular fashion.  As for Price, she's probably already the biggest thing in women's boxing only 7 fights into her career. World amateur champion, European Champion, Olympic champion and now IBO and WBA World Champion too. That's some CV.

Sandy Ryan next surely? That would be a great scrap.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Sandy Ryan next surely? That would be a great scrap.

Yes please! The welterweight division now looks pretty stacked considering the fighter pools are still pretty small. Nat Jonas, Sandy Ryan, Mikaela Mayer, all plausible next time out opponents, but definitely agree Ryan should be the pick though. Jonas is clear next best as another domestic fight that would also generate huge interest. In the women's game, these fights get made and made quick too, so that's surely one to look forward to.

23 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Yes please! The welterweight division now looks pretty stacked considering the fighter pools are still pretty small. Nat Jonas, Sandy Ryan, Mikaela Mayer, all plausible next time out opponents, but definitely agree Ryan should be the pick though. Jonas is clear next best as another domestic fight that would also generate huge interest. In the women's game, these fights get made and made quick too, so that's surely one to look forward to.

Ryan deserves the shot having by most if not all accounts beaten McCaskill previously.

On a side note, I think they should move towards 3 minute rounds as some of these 2 minutes rounds are only just getting going when the bell chimes in. Even 2 minutes 30 to split the difference would do.

12 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Ryan deserves the shot having by most if not all accounts beaten McCaskill previously.

On a side note, I think they should move towards 3 minute rounds as some of these 2 minutes rounds are only just getting going when the bell chimes in. Even 2 minutes 30 to split the difference would do.

Agreed. Ryan would be the best fight too, I reckon. McCaskill is a brawler and the other takeaway from last night was that she's actually pretty limited considering how successful she's been. She was exposed last night though and her frustration was evident from the third round.

And yes, 3 minutes is a no-brainer. Worst case go 8 x 3 minutes and 10 x 3 in championship fights and see how it plays out. It just seems so patronising to assume these delicate flowers need to be restricted to 20 minutes of fight time.

On 12/05/2024 at 11:48, Comrade 86 said:

Loma vs Tank 👀

Should've happened 5 years ago but Tank didn't want it, he was avoided by the top men for years. 

Dominant performance from Loma, one of my favourite to watch.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

You can tell it's fight week when John's making a tit of himself. Can't stand the Fury's, hope Usyk absolutely does him over. Looking at who they've appointed as the referee, I can see it being a fight where Fury's dirty boxing goes unpunished (like 99% of his fights).

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Should've happened 5 years ago but Tank didn't want it, he was avoided by the top men for years. 

Dominant performance from Loma, one of my favourite to watch.

You can tell it's fight week when John's making a tit of himself. Can't stand the Fury's, hope Usyk absolutely does him over. Looking at who they've appointed as the referee, I can see it being a fight where Fury's dirty boxing goes unpunished (like 99% of his fights).

I'm a fan of Tyson. 

I'm struggling here. The gamesmanship and "big John"... meanwhile Usyk has been classy as always. 

Also feeling more nervous about Fury's chances. Been pretty confident up to now that Usyk is ever so slightly overrated at HW. Looking back through Fury's history... I'm not finding much comfort. Klitschko was a beast but he didn't have the evasive off beat agility that Usyk has. And smaller men with much less ability have troubled Fury. 

Looking forward to your lot predictions. 

I'm going Fury controversially PTS with a couple of knock-downs but losing most the other rounds. 

If you watch the whole John Fury clip it's just embarrassing - as punishment they should be made to watch it 50 times a day for a month to let it sink in what twonks they all look.

I like Tyson as well, as a boxer, and think he doesn't get credit for a lot of his ring craft. Not sure I agree that Usyk is over rated, OK Joshua wasn't on all guns but Usyk completely schooled him not once but twice.

Strangely, I can make a case for both of them winning on points. Both have truly excellent footwork but I just think Usyk has the speed to get in, score, and get out. Fury isn't the biggest puncher in the world and he does have a history of getting tagged (though normally in fights he was less than 100% focused / fit for).

Not sure what odds I would get but my prediction is Usyk via split decision, while having to take a long count for a low blow again.

I think furys to big for him! Fury either stops him or wins on points for me! I think usyk is a great boxer but just to small at the weight, dont see how he beats fury! If he gets in close fury will tie him up or clip him coming in! Then fury just works behind his jab and drops the odd bomb at range! Be interesting to see what fury weighs, he looks light!

As for the rest of the furys, shanes the only one worth listening to! John always plays the clown trying to entertain people!

Edited by De22Ram

8 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

I think furys to big for him! Fury either stops him or wins on points for me! I think usyk is a great boxer but just to small at the weight, dont see how he beats fury! If he gets in close fury will tie him up or clip him coming in! Then fury just works behind his jab and drops the odd bomb at range! Be interesting to see what fury weighs, he looks light!

As for the rest of the furys, shanes the only one worth listening to! John always plays the clown trying to entertain people!

I know what you mean, a good big 'un always beats a good small 'un. Usyk is six inches shorter, over two stone lighter and giving up seven inches of reach. Which makes you think Fury has it. But Usyk can fight southpaw, will be the faster puncher to score and has beaten fighters of (nearly) Fury's size. Anyone who tells you they know how this is going to end is lying, to you and to themselves.

9 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I know what you mean, a good big 'un always beats a good small 'un. Usyk is six inches shorter, over two stone lighter and giving up seven inches of reach. Which makes you think Fury has it. But Usyk can fight southpaw, will be the faster puncher to score and has beaten fighters of (nearly) Fury's size. Anyone who tells you they know how this is going to end is lying, to you and to themselves.

Yeah, you never truly know how a fight will go, specially heavyweights! Usyks obviously got a chance, fury struggled with johnson, similiar size to usyk! 

For me its fury all day long tho, he can switch hit! Derek gave usyk problems, bellew was arguably up on points before usyk worked him out and dropped him, debous, altho a low blow imo, did get to the body! 

Usyk is no spring chicken, lot of amateur fights, plus furys the type of boxer who gets up for the big dangerous fights! Like you say, a good big en beats a good lil en imo!

If usyk does beat him then fair play, he goes down as one of the best boxers of our era, to be fair already is even if he loses! I just hope there is some action and its not just a fury shut out boxing behind the jab! To people who know boxing its a masterclass, to the casuals its boring and he wont get his dues!

Surely the big fight here is someone getting in the ring with a near 60 yr old bloke, who lost to a bloke I'd have gone 10 rounds in his last jaunt about 20 years by refusing to get off his stole. 

I think the winner of Fury/Usyk should fight Jake Paul and render him comatose in 30 seconds.  Then we stop being bothered by his shitshow.

21 hours ago, Alph said:

I'm a fan of Tyson. 

I'm struggling here. The gamesmanship and "big John"... meanwhile Usyk has been classy as always. 

Also feeling more nervous about Fury's chances. Been pretty confident up to now that Usyk is ever so slightly overrated at HW. Looking back through Fury's history... I'm not finding much comfort. Klitschko was a beast but he didn't have the evasive off beat agility that Usyk has. And smaller men with much less ability have troubled Fury. 

Looking forward to your lot predictions. 

I'm going Fury controversially PTS with a couple of knock-downs but losing most the other rounds. 

Head over heart, Fury on points would be my guess too @Alph They're both technically gifted and natural fighters, but the height, reach and most critically, the weight advantage will surely be to much for even Usyk to overcome.

Assuming Fury turns up fit, I think he uses that huge reach advantage to keep Usyk on the outside most of the fight and uses his size and weight to smother Usyk anytime the Ukrainian manages to plant his feet. I think that's the percentage call, as while you'd love a stand up sort of fight (they are both wonderful technicians, after all), this has all the makings of a messy one instead.

9 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

If you watch the whole John Fury clip it's just embarrassing - as punishment they should be made to watch it 50 times a day for a month to let it sink in what twonks they all look.

I like Tyson as well, as a boxer, and think he doesn't get credit for a lot of his ring craft. Not sure I agree that Usyk is over rated, OK Joshua wasn't on all guns but Usyk completely schooled him not once but twice.

Strangely, I can make a case for both of them winning on points. Both have truly excellent footwork but I just think Usyk has the speed to get in, score, and get out. Fury isn't the biggest puncher in the world and he does have a history of getting tagged (though normally in fights he was less than 100% focused / fit for).

Not sure what odds I would get but my prediction is Usyk via split decision, while having to take a long count for a low blow again.

What I mean by overrated is Usyk doesn't have that one punch power. Not even at cruiser. His first HW fight was against Wetherspoon and he lacked power. Against Chisora, he lacked even the power to get enough respect to stop Chisora walking him down. Against Dubois he did get knocked around at times even while catching shots on the gloves. 

Obviously this is without mentioning that what he does have is that off beat excellent ability and agility that's elite level. 

But, stick with me, I still think that if there's a heavyweight who's willing to take 3 or 4 to get in, get on him, rough him up and get some hard shots doubling up to the body and finishing with a chin test... I think he struggles with the size 

As ludicrous as it sounds, I still think Joshua can beat Usyk. His performances were terrible, especially the second one where he did almost exactly the same. But Usyk felt that power and to his credit he upped the workrate to hide his discomfort. But Joshua was too tentative. It's about finding a way in and all Joshua wanted to do was get a bit closer and drop the odd bomb. 

This is where I have always thought Tyson can do it. He has the weight and mass to take a few hits. He's not scared of being dropped. He's always composed and switched on in big fights. They've all got the weight advantage in the clinch (Joshua should have developed his pathetic clinch game for fight 2) 

Usyk knows what's coming though and is arguably a better, busier boxer. 

I'm with you on a good big 'un beats a good small 'un. If Joshua fought like the bigger guy I think he could beat Usyk. He was too clean.