Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Taylor v Davis was some fight. Toe to toe. Taylor looks to have a chin and good boxing skills. 

Interesting body language with Ricky Burns. Not convinced Burns fancies the fight.......

Alex Arthur hasn't aged well. 

Edinburgh seems to be churning out some decent boxers. 

Davies has that Klitschko sort of front foot defence going on and he sort of springs out of his stance to punch. That left shoulder turned over makes him even harder to hit. 

I thought Taylor showed great skill to firstly make Davies pounce and then batter his body as Davies opened up. Then after Davies had lost some composure and started swinging wildly it looked like Taylor's to lose. What amazing work to the body he displays every time he fights. Full range of skills. Even trading with Davies and coming out on top. Proper demo job. He'd beat Burns. 

And while I understand him going in to finish Davies at the end he continued to attack after the referee stepped across. Forget how up Cyclone's bum Channel 5 is... that wasn't "fair game"

Saw on Boxnation that Anthony Yarde had a good win that might escalate him towards a big domestic fight. He seems like he's going to be hard to match up. Too new for the big names but too good for those at his level. 

@CWC1983 any idea what the trouble was? I was watching the Channel 5 show. Agree about Burns... he doesn't fancy that. He's struggled with worse 

@Mr Tibbs. Me too. I think he was surprised how quick Taylor was to counter every time he opened up out of that awkward defence. When he took a knee, his face when he was dropped, his quitting... I think he was genuinely baffled by the defence and counter punching. Every time he put his hands in the cage he got bitten.

Be interesting to see how an ego like Davies copes with such a boxing lesson dished out. He was really pulled apart. 

Hope he comes back strong

Could be a blessing in disguise for OD. He seems well off world level, yet had he won they would have soon pushed for a title.

The problem they both have is Terence Crawford is leagues above them and he is soon to fight Indongo for all four belts.

At 140 there is now no easy title route. So OD may be better off having a few more years polishing his skills rather than getting crushed at world title level and building back up.

It served Degale good losing to Groves. OD can see similarities as Groves' struggled to bounce back from the Froch defeat whereas Degale rebuilt and came back a better fighter.

Josh Taylor isn't ready for a 140 world title shot either so calling out Burns for a domestic moneyspinner was smart.

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Davies has that Klitschko sort of front foot defence going on and he sort of springs out of his stance to punch. That left shoulder turned over makes him even harder to hit. 

I thought Taylor showed great skill to firstly make Davies pounce and then batter his body as Davies opened up. Then after Davies had lost some composure and started swinging wildly it looked like Taylor's to lose. What amazing work to the body he displays every time he fights. Full range of skills. Even trading with Davies and coming out on top. Proper demo job. He'd beat Burns. 

And while I understand him going in to finish Davies at the end he continued to attack after the referee stepped across. Forget how up Cyclone's bum Channel 5 is... that wasn't "fair game"

Saw on Boxnation that Anthony Yarde had a good win that might escalate him towards a big domestic fight. He seems like he's going to be hard to match up. Too new for the big names but too good for those at his level. 

@CWC1983 any idea what the trouble was? I was watching the Channel 5 show. Agree about Burns... he doesn't fancy that. He's struggled with worse 

It sounds like Mcness has a big West Ham following. As soon as the fight was stopped you could hear some commotion in the crowd that got gradually worse and BT went to an extended ad break. Frank Warren at the end of the show was calling on the authorities to take action as he thinks boxing should be more family friendly......

The last place I would take a family would be a boxing show on a Saturday night during the football off season. 

On 09/07/2017 at 08:54, CWC1983 said:

It sounds like Mcness has a big West Ham following. As soon as the fight was stopped you could hear some commotion in the crowd that got gradually worse and BT went to an extended ad break. Frank Warren at the end of the show was calling on the authorities to take action as he thinks boxing should be more family friendly......

The last place I would take a family would be a boxing show on a Saturday night during the football off season. 

Couldn't agree with you more.

Went to Manchester on numerous occasions to see Hatton, calzaghe amongst others and even though we were there to support the Brit fighters there was a real unpleasant feel to things every time. 

Culminated one event in a brawl in one of the exec boxes that some lass from atomic kitten hired for the night.

Then another time a massive fight in the car park between manchester and  liverpool lads.

That ended up with several cars getting smashed up.

The fights are a good night but its controlled violence which appeals to some unsavory folk.

Lob in copious amounts of booze and a local lad getting beat in a match and the atmosphere can change in an instant.

Edited by AmberRamber

Chris Eubank Jr. What do we think? 

I think he'll stop him in round 8-9. 

I'm more looking forward to this Super-Middleweight competition that's been set up. We could have Smith v Groves, Groves vs Eubank. I can't believe they've all agreed to do it.

But then the purses are huge, the dates are set, the British fighters may not even have to leave this country and belts are there to be collected. You can see why they've all entered. 

1 hour ago, Norman said:

I'm more looking forward to this Super-Middleweight competition that's been set up. We could have Smith v Groves, Groves vs Eubank. I can't believe they've all agreed to do it.

But then the purses are huge, the dates are set, the British fighters may not even have to leave this country and belts are there to be collected. You can see why they've all entered. 

The last one they did with Ward, Froch etc was brilliant, surprised its taken this long for another one. Looking forward to it.

Hope Eubank gets the win then revenge against BJS, gets a lot of stick mainly because of Sr but he's a classy fighter.

On 13/07/2017 at 08:34, Norman said:

I don't think Eubank will step into a ring with Groves or Smith. 

Looking forward to seeing him tonight. I'm sure he just jumped up to Super Middle for the easy title fight. I didn't think he packed much power and I still thought he struggled to get rid of that Quinlan(?) bloke. I like his style though.

Do you think he'd fight Groves? 

The last super 6 was a big success. I'm abit disappointed that James Degale isn't a part of it.

I'm also miffed why they don't do one for the welterweights. I know there is pride in winning a world title, you only have to see the sheer relief on Groves' face when he finally achieved his goal, but belts ultimately don't mean anything if you're not willing to fight the best.

You'd give more props to Groves if he fought the likes of Froch, Degale, Smith, Eubank etc. (winning some) than merely beating Chudinov to win a title then defending it against average mandatories.

In the Welterweight division you don't need belts. Just pit the likes of Thurman, Porter, Garcia, Spence, Pacquiao, Horn, Brook, Khan, etc. in a league table expanding over three/four years (say two fights a year each) and see who comes out on top.

Boxing will never work like that I know. But from a fans perspective, it would be so much better.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I don't think Eubank will step into a ring with Groves or Smith. 

Looking forward to seeing him tonight. I'm sure he just jumped up to Super Middle for the easy title fight. I didn't think he packed much power and I still thought he struggled to get rid of that Quinlan(?) bloke. I like his style though.

Do you think he'd fight Groves? 

Yeah, I have thought he wouldn't want to, too. But from what I've read, he's signed the contact, the dates are set and the draw is all done. 

Maybe he'll be injured. Youre not paying for it, are you? Too steep for me, although it should be a good fight. Eubank punches too much off balance to knock someone out. He hardly ever plants his feet, just hits fast and on the move. Which is a style I like. 

Edited by Norman

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Yeah, I have thought he wouldn't want to, too. But from what I've read, he's signed the contact, the dates are set and the draw is all done. 

Maybe he'll be injured. Youre not paying for it, are you? Too steep for me, although it should be a good fight. Eubank punches too much off balance to knock someone out. He hardly ever plants his feet, just hits fast and on the move. Which is a style I like. 

I was going to buy it but I've only just sat down. I wont pay for 1 fight which is all I get now. It'll be on YouTube by the time I get up. How will you see it? 

Itv, 5, sky, BT, Cyclone, Boxnation, Matchroom... getting some good boxing again. Used to be good on Saturday nights watching it with my gran!! 

All we need is BBC to bid for Benn v Collins and it's winner winner chicken dinner

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I was going to buy it but I've only just sat down. I wont pay for 1 fight which is all I get now. It'll be on YouTube by the time I get up. How will you see it? 

Itv, 5, sky, BT, Cyclone, Boxnation, Matchroom... getting some good boxing again. Used to be good on Saturday nights watching it with my gran!! 

All we need is BBC to bid for Benn v Collins and it's winner winner chicken dinner

I'll watch on youtube tomorrow. The Mrs is in London on a hen do, and she rang a few hours a go to say she'd had 2 cocktails in an ice bar. So that means at least 4. 

Shes probably spending ten pound a drink as we speak, so i will take the dog out in a bit and try not to think about it. Cant be giving Chris 16.99 as well lol.

5 minutes ago, Norman said:

I'll watch on youtube tomorrow. The Mrs is in London on a hen do, and she rang a few hours a go to say she'd had 2 cocktails in an ice bar. So that means at least 4. 

Shes probably spending ten pound a drink as we speak, so i will take the dog out in a bit and try not to think about it. Cant be giving Chris 16.99 as well lol.

I wouldn't worry about it, a group of hens let loose in London don't tend to pay for their drinks, they'll always be a group of fellas willing to pick up the tab for easy pickings!

12 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I wouldn't worry about it, a group of hens let loose in London don't tend to pay for their drinks, they'll always be a group of fellas willing to pick up the tab for easy pickings!

Yeah, cheers mate. Here i was enjoying my night, trying to get my head around Inception....

Hope your tacky garden lights blow away.

Have you watched it @Norman?

I found a stream last night. 

If he had more power he'd be a monster. He's so fit and fast. Good at any range. Works the body great, solid enough jab and those uppercuts...

Still a tosser but a very enjoyable fighter. 

His workrate wasn't to be matched last night.

Needs a real elite test asap. Not seen him under pressure since round 4 against BJS!! 

After the naughty showing off it was great to see Abraham catch him... then he just upped the tempo and killed any hopes of a late burst from Abraham. Think Abraham was just happy to go out on his feet. :whistle: