Sunderland (A) - Match thread

Eoghan1884

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I think some of the blame for the second goal lies with Cashin who allowed the scorer to get past him to turn in the cross. That area was very defendable.

Maybe to an extent? But how many times do you think with a left winger in the position he's in, with the space that he has, with our defence scrambling to cover space that's opened up and with our midfield completely taken out of the game does it lead to a goal?

Because my guess is that no matter what the defence does from that point that's going to lead to a goal a very high percentage of the time.

49 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Games against Sunderland won't keep us up, it's gaining points against the likes of QPR, Millwall, and Oxford. Then November will be crucial.

Agree completely with this. After promotion we were always going to find certain opposition that are simply better than us. We obviously don't simply roll over in these games but to get anything in them then we need to be hard to beat and then be clinical when we manage to create chances and last night we we weren't. No real surprise though and no real shame - we lost away to the team that currently tops the table and are the division's top scorers.

IF (and it's a big IF), come the end of the season we were to be doomed, then it will largely have been because we haven't picked up the necessary points in the more obviously winnable games. The likes of QPR on Saturday are going to be really important for our season. We could certainly make life easier on ourselves by being harder to beat on the road though and looking after the ball a bit better would at least give us a chance to draw breath between attacks.

Before the season started, most folks on here said that the aims for this season were quite modest. The typical responses we something along the lines of 'Stay up, stay out of any real trouble and then reinforce in the summer as a re-established Championship side'. Yes, we could do with breaking this run ASAP but A 2-0 defeat away at the top team hasn't really changed anything for the wider season expectation or plan.

If we'd lost 4 straight away games to teams below us, I'd be far more concerned, but I agree we do need to find a way to be solid away from home with greater ball retention and the ability to break quickly (and take our chances).

Worth remembering that it took Sunderland 6 seasons after relegation to get to where they are now, and they weren't under EFL restrictions for any of those seasons.

We all expected the problems we are having, surely? 

It's about making the right decisions at key moments, and having the ability to put those decisions into practice, which we are struggling with. Also, we have found out the hard way, if you make a mistake you are more likely to get punished in the Championship than in league 1.

I think overall we have started the season well. With the exception of the Blackburn game, the results have been tight and we have been in every game, so now is not the time to panic, which I don't think Paul Warne will.

We are improving in my opinion, and we have a good squad that is competitive at this level, so let's just enjoy the ride.

14 hours ago, chewbacca said:

Imagine having an elite stadium such as the SOL and attendance in the 40 thousands and then embarrassing yourself with that dreadful display of lights and music both before and after the game. Anyway we were well beaten tonight, perhaps the only way I can have a dig at them.

Shouldnt have been called the light show,should be renamed the s**** show

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I think some of the blame for the second goal lies with Cashin who allowed the scorer to get past him to turn in the cross. That area was very defendable.

Phillips' task was to mark the CF out of the game. Phillips left his man to cover the same ground as Nelson. Phillips' man then scored the tap in.

I haven't seen it back yet, so from our lofty position last night - how on earth does Ebou Adams have his shorts literally pulled completely off yet still has a foul given against him?! Happened at the far end, right at the end of the game.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

It looks to me like Cashin hands the goal-scorer off to Osborn, although it's difficult to tell from the highlights.  Phillips goes charging over to the ball when there's no need, Nelson and Wilson are already there, leaving a massive hole in the middle of the back-line.  Cashin and Osborn are both picking up the goal-scorer, so Cashin starts to drift centrally to fill that gap leaving Osborn marking him.  He then gets a run across Osborn to score.

I'm not sure picking fault with individual players is really the best thing to do here though.  For me, that goal is a perfect example of why I don't like a back 3.  The wingback pushes up leaving a big gap behind him, and as soon as they break into that gap we're in serious trouble.  Wilson can't get back quickly enough to really influence the play and that leaves the rest of the backline having to shuffle over to deal with it, and that relies on everybody executing things perfectly.  Nelson has to basically come over to engage the winger, Phillips goes over as well when he probably shouldn't, there's indecision between Cashin and Osborn as to who's picking who up, and there's another guy beyond Osborn that nobody is picking up.  Nobody seems really clear what job they're supposed to be doing.  I'd much rather we play a back 4, where everyone has a much clearer job to do and you're not having to shuffle over depending on which side the attack is coming from. 

2 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

I haven't seen it back yet, so from our lofty position last night - how on earth does Ebou Adams have his shorts literally pulled completely off yet still has a foul given against him?! Happened at the far end, right at the end of the game.

I think the foul was given for an incident on the edge of the box, not the Ebou one which happened a fraction of a second later.

29 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

In a brief moment where my dodgy stream was working I'm pretty sure I saw Adams initiate contact and steamroller their player to the floor, with his shorts coming off in the resultant tussle.

It was quite erotic.

(also, as above from other posters)

Edited by May Contain Nuts

A fancied team against a team who's aim is to avoid relegation unless a miracle happens in Jan window and two decent goalscorers are added to the squad.We are going to have a few days like this but really what can Warne and his staff do ? Let's have a reality check and accept we came up from a league that is difficult to get out of to go into a league that's equally as difficult to stay up in.Success this year avoiding relegation .

1 minute ago, old tray boy said:

A fancied team against a team who's aim is to avoid relegation unless a miracle happens in Jan window and two decent goalscorers are added to the squad.We are going to have a few days like this but really what can Warne and his staff do ? Let's have a reality check and accept we came up from a league that is difficult to get out of to go into a league that's equally as difficult to stay up in.Success this year avoiding relegation .

What is Yates? Even Collins. The problem is not goalscorers.

1 hour ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Sky commentary team seemed to totally miss it. It was bizarre

To be honest i thought we would get beat last night so no big drama,however we need to start to pick up points away going forward as it will put massive pressure on our home games

QPR at home becomes a massive game alreay,lose and is 9 points from 9 games thats relegation form,win and nice and steady in mid table

4 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

... Games against Sunderland won't keep us up, it's gaining points against the likes of QPR, Millwall, and Oxford. Then November will be crucial.

Bring 'em on!
I've cadged a lift for the Oxford game, what with them being so far ahead of us...

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952d0gpnwh9czi09dvxd2

3 hours ago, DiggerB said:

RD interview with Ed Dawes seemingly cut short by. Beeping transit reversing down the touchline towards him and Kane. You had to be there!

I heard it was the linesman we had against Norwich...just checking the line to see what's in or out of play 😁

5 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Also I adore NML but not sure what is going on with him. I know he's had these patches for us before so hope normal service resumes soon

What is going on with him is that he is back in the Championship. He really never has been any good at that level, except for one year perhaps many seasons ago with Cardiff iirc? League 1 really is his level, especially now at his age, where in an attacking sense he is largely a one-trick pony that a decent full back should be able to keep pretty quiet. Him having the ball in our half of the field has always been a huge liability.

Edited by i-Ram