Sheff UTD (A) - Match Thread

Eoghan1884

4 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Just got home. Thought we were outplayed by a better team who have parachute money and there’s no shame in that. We needed to make a change around the hour mark, probably taking Osbourne off but who for? Harness looked tidy when he came on, but it’s stating the obvious to say we really missed Ozoh.

I’m just pleased to have got through the game without someone puking on me, there were some right casualties around me!

I'll never understand why they get so blitzed before the game. Sheff is well worth sticking around for a few drinks afterwards, but only if you're not the gobby sort.

Was at the game , yes Sheffield Utd just about deserved it but our lads put in a lot of effort certainly weren’t disgraced and actually were quite good first half, stand out players for me were Ebou and Nyambe , Ozoh was missed as Ozzy , understandably, looked a bit rusty after his lay off 

Don’t understand some of the comments about Nels , had his hands full today with Moore , a clever, shrewd awkward centre forward , on the whole I thought Nels did well against him 

On to next week , a big test at home as Norwich are a good side who on their day can take you apart, but are known to have a weak underbelly if you get at them , hopefully we can get on the front foot early and give them a uncomfortable afternoon 

One last thing , apart from the pathetic Billy Sharp chants, I thought our support again was tremendous COYR

I was on the second row from the front, left of the goal. Two blokes in front of me spent the entire game shouting obscenities and gesturing at Sheffield fans in the upper tier and on the left side. They hardly watched the game at all. Then proceeded to ask how Zetterström was an international keeper and let that free kick in (but in a lot more base and irate way). Then one of them was constantly yelling “Cooper” trying to get the attention of their keeper. 

it’s one thing trying to watch the game and get behind the lads when we’re struggling to get to our end of the pitch but listening to those two tossers made it a lot worse!!

13 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Was at the game , yes Sheffield Utd just about deserved it but our lads put in a lot of effort certainly weren’t disgraced and actually were quite good first half, stand out players for me were Ebou and Nyambe , Ozoh was missed as Ozzy , understandably, looked a bit rusty after his lay off 

Don’t understand some of the comments about Nels , had his hands full today with Moore , a clever, shrewd awkward centre forward , on the whole I thought Nels did well against him 

On to next week , a big test at home as Norwich are a good side who on their day can take you apart, but are known to have a weak underbelly if you get at them , hopefully we can get on the front foot early and give them a uncomfortable afternoon 

One last thing , apart from the pathetic Billy Sharp chants, I thought our support again was tremendous COYR

We have about 15 fans that are Obsessed with Billy Sharpe . They never let up the whole game . Won’t join in with the main group with the supportive chanting . They can’t wait for the Utd home game now . 

Dear Horsforth

No reflection on you but those two set my teeth (the ones I stll have at 74!) on edge!

Football is THE beautiful game.

Idiots like the above are the crab grass in the lawn of real supporters regardless of colour creed or club.

I am sorry that your enjoyment was spoiled by a stupid vocal minority.

Regards

Steve

Edited by Brammie Steve

18 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I was on the second row from the front, left of the goal. Two blokes in front of me spent the entire game shouting obscenities and gesturing at Sheffield fans in the upper tier and on the left side. They hardly watched the game at all. Then proceeded to ask how Zetterström was an international keeper and let that free kick in (but in a lot more base and irate way). Then one of them was constantly yelling “Cooper” trying to get the attention of their keeper. 

it’s one thing trying to watch the game and get behind the lads when we’re struggling to get to our end of the pitch but listening to those two.

Please see above!

P.G Wodehouse from the directors box.
The scene at Bramhall Lane, ordinarily a bastion of comfort and civility, bore witness to a footballing spectacle that, in terms of both artistry and chaos, could be likened to a rambunctious afternoon at the Drones Club rather than a dignified sporting occasion. Mr and Mrs Clowes seated in their plush, velvet-lined seats, no doubt felt the chill of calamity that had slipped its icy fingers into the balmy warmth of victory’s anticipation, much like a chap luxuriating in a perfectly drawn bath only to have the infernal cold tap turned on by some malevolent spirit.

Down on the pitch, however, the Rams—those plucky, indefatigable blighters—were finding themselves undone by an inability to construct a solid defensive bulwark, their efforts at wall-building as tragically misguided as if one had entrusted the task to a crew of particularly dense bricklayers armed only with trowels, good intentions, and a singularly vague sense of geometry. Poor Zettestrom, he of chiselled visage and unassailable fortitude, found himself betrayed by that most treacherous of comrades, the near post, where the ball slithered past with all the ease of a practiced safe-cracker slipping through a cracked window.

Meanwhile, upfield, Osborn—who might well have been under the impression that he was starring in some bygone rugby league contest—persisted in launching balls skyward in a manner that would have warmed the cockles of Eddie Waring’s heart but did little to advance the Rams’ cause. In attack, our heroes were as bereft of potency as a gathering of elderly gentlemen at their club after too hearty a lunch, and one could not help but wonder if a dash of pharmaceutical encouragement in the half-time oranges might have restored their former zest.

On the touchline, the theatrical tension between Warne and Wilder simmered like an altercation between two harassed fathers at a schoolboy match, their handbags brandished with all the grace and subtlety of a duelling pair of bantam cocks. In the end, though, despite the single-goal deficit and the peculiar trajectory of events, one could hardly call the performance a disgrace; rather, the Rams, though bested by a team freshly descended from the Premier League, had proved that they were more than capable of holding their own, and perhaps next time, with the taps firmly adjusted, they might even leave the field basking in the warm glow of triumph.

3 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

He’s normally good on the ball. He’s had a not-so-great game today for sure, but that doesn’t suddenly make him a liability. 
To be honest what other Rams player has stood out ? Kenzo been totally anonymous and we have had very little creativity or ball retention across the team.::

He’s given it away in other games too, I’m not one to overreact but I think he needs to tidy up that part of his game.

I agree that some players didn’t turn up, that’s why Warne should’ve made some changes sooner. 

2 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

He’s given it away in other games too, I’m not one to overreact but I think he needs to tidy up that part of his game.

I agree that some players didn’t turn up, that’s why Warne should’ve made some changes sooner. 

He's the current POTY and has been by some way, our most consistent performer for @15 months now. He's just had a bad game. 

I was happy at half time - nothing special, but we stuck at it and were always in the game, with Sheffield looking the better team over all - quicker, stronger in the battle and better with the ball. But second half was decidedly poor. It seems that we came with a game plan to get a point, and thought after the first half that we could get away with hunkering down and hanging on for the point. It did nearly work apart from the dodgy free kick. So yes a ref's decision did affect the result, and there were  a few others as well, but overall Madley wasn't that intrusive.

Effectively the Blades being stronger and quicker in the challenges, and better on the ball gradually wore us down. Yet we were never out of it all match long, even if it looked like we would never score if we played till next Saturday. One good thing about this season's Rams is that opposition teams are being restricted to very few good chances, and having to make do with long range efforts. It may be that the teams we have played aren't that potent, but it could be that we re very effective at shutting teams out. In the same way, our almost complete inability to pass to another team mate used to be a characteristic of previous seasons, but could also be because of Sheffield United's pressing and closing down. But the other factor is that it looked very much like we had gone for the point, but then couldn't find the extra gear we needed to go looking for the equaliser.

So its heads up, and get ready for the visit of the Norfolk yokels. Another tough challenge, but points are available if we get at them early on.

17 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Dear Horsforth

No reflection on you but those two set my teeth (the ones I stll have at 74!) on edge!

Football is THE beautiful game.

Idiots like the above are the crab grass in the lawn of real supporters regardless of colour creed or club.

I am sorry that your enjoyment was spoiled by a stupid vocal minority.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

No worries, I’ve seen most things in my years following the Rams! They were an annoyance but an away day, travelling down from Leeds with my lad, meeting my brother and his lad (travelling up from London), meeting my school friends and their lads from Derby won’t ever be spoiled by a few idiots!! And we’re all planning the next game! COYR 🙏🏽

Cheers,

Horsforth. 

Not bothered to read all 15 pages of this thread. 

BUT

From what I saw, we were second best today.

HOWEVER

We had our chances today. I was really hoping Osborne would have an absolute blinder of a game but unfortunately all of my worries were true. He didn’t have the best game for me, and maybe it’s because he wasn’t played in the right position. Ebou played really well I thought but I think his pairing with Ozoh is worth its weight in gold. 

REFLECTION

Not fussed about today, sweep it under the rug and move on. Plenty more opportunities to earn points. COYR 🐏