Sunderland away

MadAmster

Fans travelling to Sunderland, please be aware...

Coins are not permitted at the Stadium of Light for travelling fans, and a total of £336.37 was handed over at the turnstiles ahead of #SWFC's game against Sunderland...

The Black Cats returned the money to SWFC for a charitable donation and the Owls topped up the figure to £1,000 before donating it to Bluebell Wood.

6 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Coins are not permitted at the Stadium of Light for travelling fans, and a total of £336.37 was handed over at the turnstiles ahead of #SWFC's game against Sunderland...

The Black Cats returned the money to SWFC for a charitable donation and the Owls topped up the figure to £1,000 before donating it to Bluebell Wood.

Thank god home fans can still take coins in to throw at away fans.

Not just coins but vapes as well.

Seems a little excessive.

So if you’re say a 60 year old fan that can’t get to grips with mobile phone payments, also trying to quit smoking traditional cigarettes by using a vape, arrives to the game on the train.

They would be expected to get rid of any change in their pockets and disposing of a vape. Something that the government are looking to ban, disposable vapes. Or find somewhere to stash these around the ground to collect later?

All because of a few mindless idiots.

I know cashless society is coming, it’s inevitable, although it feels a little early considering mobile phones with banking apps and payments have been around for what, 10 years?

Feels like they are alienating a generation of fans that have been following their club for 60/70 years.

2 hours ago, Day said:

So if you’re say a 60 year old fan that can’t get to grips with mobile phone payments, also trying to quit smoking traditional cigarettes by using a vape, arrives to the game on the train.

They would be expected to get rid of any change in their pockets and disposing of a vape. Something that the government are looking to ban, disposable vapes. Or find somewhere to stash these around the ground to collect later?

I know cashless society is coming, it’s inevitable, although it feels a little early considering mobile phones with banking apps and payments have been around for what, 10 years?

Feels like they are alienating a generation of fans that have been following their club for 60/70 years.

It fills me with dread. Of course we want clean air and to produce less waste but the sanitising of a live football match and turning it in to a “managed experience” disturbs me deeply. 
I used to love Motor Sport, but so much has changed with all the “content creating”  that the spirit is lost. 

3 hours ago, Day said:

I don’t think some half arsed steward giving me a quick pat down is getting his hands on my shrapnel 😉

On 17/09/2024 at 10:17, MadAmster said:

Considering that cash/coins are legal tender in the UK, it's a surprise that practice being implemented by Sunderland is acceptable, legally. It would be interesting to know, do they frisk away supporters / ask them to walk through an airport style metal object scanner? 

1 hour ago, europia said:

Considering that cash/coins are legal tender in the UK, it's a surprise that practice being implemented by Sunderland is acceptable, legally. It would be interesting to know, do they frisk away supporters / ask them to walk through an airport style metal object scanner? 

Middlesbrough website says their fans will be subject to enhanced searches.

The average collected from Sheffield Wednesday fans works out at about 16 pence each so I don’t think it will be too much of a problem.

10 hours ago, europia said:

I do remember at Bournemouth a couple of years ago we had to empty our pockets and hold everything in our hands before being "patted down". Can't remember what it was they considered "contraband" but I do remember some things being "confiscated". Not off us, though.

29 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I do remember at Bournemouth a couple of years ago we had to empty our pockets and hold everything in our hands before being "patted down". Can't remember what it was they considered "contraband" but I do remember some things being "confiscated". Not off us, though.

Are they allowed to look in a females purse if carring one in a bag, or does it only apply to males.

1 hour ago, Kathcairns said:

Are they allowed to look in a females purse if carring one in a bag, or does it only apply to males.

I would presume, if they can legally search for and confiscate coins, that they could search anything and everything where coins may be found. That might not include bodily orifices but I wouldn't take the risk 🙂