Jerry Yates Appreciation Thread

I know he's only on loan and I know he's a striker that hasn't scored a goal in the league yet (he will get at least ten I reckon).

But...

Sign him. It just works. I don't care if he scores 0 goals this season, because his effort, positioning and link up play enables everyone else around him to score goals. 

We are a much more potent team with him in it, even if he isn't the main threat.

Pub talk? Maybe. But this team doesn't function fully without him. Agree? Disagree?

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I know he's only on loan and I know he's a striker that hasn't scored a goal in the league yet (he will get at least ten I reckon).

But...

Sign him. It just works. I don't care if he scores 0 goals this season, because his effort, positioning and link up play enables everyone else around him to score goals. 

We are a much more potent team with him in it, even if he isn't the main threat.

Pub talk? Maybe. But this team doesn't function fully without him. Agree? Disagree?

Hard agree. Was out on his feet today, and probably should have been subbed at 70-75 mins, but Brown hasn’t the experience nor Collins the pace or quality to do what Jerry does. His deft flicks and link up play with NML down the left in the first half were a thing of beauty. Brings players into the game selflessly. Would be very happy if we can make his deal permanent.

So glad we were able to sign him and sign him relatively early. 

Such a good and clever footballer who has contributed massively to the last two performance. 

Let’s hope he can stay fit and we can sign up at the end of the season. 

him plus one other striker and we have a good team. (We have a good team anyway tbf)

I think he’s actually been pretty poor. I can see why Swansea didn’t want him and loaned him out, I doubt they’ll want him back either. They may as well just sell him to us for a few hundred grand while he’s got any value at all. It’s in Swansea’s best interests to get some money for such a poor player.

14 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

But...

Between Yates & Goudmijn, the technical standard of this team has increased substantially in the past few weeks.

Not knowing much about Yates before he signed/having watched his highlights on Youtube, I'd assumed a mobile penalty box predator. He's far more than that & a great foil to the express pace we have out wide. Intelligent, awareness of others, great first touch & actually very unlucky not to have scored a couple already this season.

My only concern with him would be in games where we are really under the pump & he gets isolated but in games where we're able to compete in midfield, he gives us a real cutting edge by meshing the attack together.

Would be keen to sign him permanently if Swansea are reasonable on price.

21 hours ago, Kernow said:

I think he’s actually been pretty poor. I can see why Swansea didn’t want him and loaned him out, I doubt they’ll want him back either. They may as well just sell him to us for a few hundred grand while he’s got any value at all. It’s in Swansea’s best interests to get some money for such a poor player.

200.gif.1e0b4804b5d65564d5077505e05b4473.gif

He didn't settle at Swansea, for whatever reason, but was excellent at Blackpool. The amount of goal involvements over the past four years wasn't too dissimilar to Sammy Szmodics despite his monster year last season. He's got ability, a great energy and I would love it if we could make it a permanent deal prior to him going on one of his goalscoring runs. 

He tends to go through stages were he will score 8 in 10 games - done it his whole career and he's no stranger to non-scoring runs either but providing his output in terms of general play is anything remotely close to what he's doing at the moment then he's still worth his place in the team.

I said when we signed him that he was far beyond what I anticipated we would get, always struck me as a very good player with a relatively high ceiling. I'm glad we're seeing him hit the ground running because that was my concern given his time at Swansea, where you fear his confidence could drain further and play within himself. 

As I always say when we either sign or are interested an (on paper) underwhelming striker, look at what Shefki Kuqi did for us.  Think he scored 1 in his loan spell, but he brought out the best in the formation, and those around him.  I'm still convinced that if we'd kept him on loan, that Clough side would've gone close that year.

Yates is very much in the same bracket, but I think he's got it in him to chip in with at least 10 for us.  Which other club's fans will snark at, but if he's able to contribute to 2 or 3 others getting double figures, then we're in business

On 15/09/2024 at 15:38, Kernow said:

Are you crazy? 😲

Have you even seen him play? 😲

"A few hundred grand"?  😲

More like one hundred... and a bag o' popcorn!  😁

On 15/09/2024 at 00:49, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

But...

Yesssss. So pleased. He’s mobile, a nuisance, understands the link up, the flicks all those things that wrong foot defenders. There’s an urgency about his play. We move the ball 10% faster when he’s involved. Huge difference, he’s like good seasoning in a dinner, lifts it above the average. I’ll love it when he scores his first, well deserved and a real team player. 

I believe a permanent move for Yates was discussed last summer and Derby were keen. However Swansea did not want the loss in this year’s accounts due to FFP calculations - the fee I believe was ‘around £1m’.

It suited Swansea to keep him on their books and take a loan fee.

Whether his loan contains a purchase option at the end of it for a pre-agreed sum I do not know. 

He's such a clever player and his one touch work is sensational. I wonder if his ideal role would be a second striker rather than an out-and-out center forward, but watching the front three and Kenzo gel has been beautiful after some of the drudgery we witnessed last season. Not tiki taka passing for the sake of it but quick, direct counter attacking and fluid interplay at a speed you very rarely see at this level.

On 16/09/2024 at 00:50, LeedsCityRam said:

Between Yates & Goudmijn, the technical standard of this team has increased substantially in the past few weeks.

Not knowing much about Yates before he signed/having watched his highlights on Youtube, I'd assumed a mobile penalty box predator. He's far more than that & a great foil to the express pace we have out wide. Intelligent, awareness of others, great first touch & actually very unlucky not to have scored a couple already this season.

My only concern with him would be in games where we are really under the pump & he gets isolated but in games where we're able to compete in midfield, he gives us a real cutting edge by meshing the attack together.

Would be keen to sign him permanently if Swansea are reasonable on price.

I'd go a step a further and say that I think if you play like that you'll get a fraction of what he's actually good at.