Bristol City (H) - Match Thread

6 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

That second goal is a thing of beauty and straight from the training ground. Roles of the players, timing of the runs and KJ’s finishing… so simple, so effective. 

if I was still managing, I’d copy that as one of the options. 

In his RD interview, Dom asked him about it, and to paraphrase, it was something they'd been working on in training, and my feeling was they'd been working on it heavily

3 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

In fairness they'd played 3 league games, got 5 points and were unbeaten so they may not have played well (outside of the first 20 mins) but they weren't on paper a bad side by any means. Obviously it was only 3 games (pre Derby) but that sort of return over a season gets you firmly in the promotion mix. Let's not downplay down the demolition job the lads did by just dissing the opposition !

Yes, I agree entirely. That was pretty much the point of my comment.

Edited by LazloW

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Fair play - that's a pretty impressive stat and shows that Paul Warne knows how to set-up a defence. Perhaps something that can go under the radar.

Going to be even more to come with big JWZ in goal!

Not saying that we're anything like Arsenal, but they won titles singing '1-0 to the Arsenal'. 

On his first home showing £1.4m on JWZ will 'net' us far more than an equivalent spend on a striker. 

IMHO style and performances can come later, but money is tight atm.  Build from the back, be tough to beat, stay in the division (stability) and push on in coming seasons.  Saturday's performance showed me we're more than capable of that this season and it wasn't nearly as bad as 'Boring, Boring Arsenal'.

It's actually nice to see us create goals from throw-ins this season, and not from the usual method of chucking them into the box as far as possible. I know a lot of fans (me included) used to get frustrated when one of our throw-ins in the opposition half would end up back with our keeper. If it's now a planned strategy, I welcome it.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Started berating the referee after he was fouled about 90 seconds into the game, waving an imaginary card around trying to get our player booked, then carried on berating the referee even after he was told to shut up by the ref. Why the ref didn't book him I don't know. He then took the fk himself and it was awful. Naturally, the crowd latched onto the fact that he was a mardy tw*t and jeered him every time he touched the ball and particularly when he missed two decent chances. He eventually lost his focus completely and just went round trying to kick our players until he was substituted to save him further embarrassment.

It was tremendous fun watching him disintegrate.

And apparently they paid 4 million for him 😬 Wonder what Knight and Bird cost them. They got bowled over by a midfield that cost about a million quid in total.

23 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It's actually nice to see us create goals from throw-ins this season, and not from the usual method of chucking them into the box as far as possible. I know a lot of fans (me included) used to get frustrated when one of our throw-ins in the opposition half would end up back with our keeper. If it's now a planned strategy, I welcome it.

Our throw-ins used to drive me mad and Fozzie was probably the worst. Credit to Elder for his all-round play so far this season and he also has decent distance on his throw-ins, though he's going to get a few needless bookings for delaying play longer than necessary sometimes. It would be bonkers to get a ban mainly for what might be perceived as time wasting.

Normally stay quiet but read some real dross on here.

1. Yes, we are all entitled to opinions
2. Yes, we all play fantasy football leagues
3. Yes, we all want Pep to confirm the way our team plays is okay

4. Get real. That ain't football. 

Until people realise there are only a finite number of "superstars" and they will always go to the top 5 teams in Europe. Football is doomed because it doesn't share around success like American Football. Leicester winning the league is the biggest and best anomaly ever and will NEVER happen again.
Us fans need to get used to watered down success. The gamble to play at the big boys table is way too much now. Fashiri at Everton is 500 Mill lighter with a team who may well get relegated and it may finish them. 

On to Derby, Paul Warne cares, he cares about the clubs he manages and wants to play football the right way  but you have to have the players to do it. I actually see him as an Alex Fergsuon type, lobger we keep him the better we get. 

I would also like to see a change where clubs employ a manager because they believe in him and the players dance to his tune, they are the ones who get shipped out due to failure. It could happen if we take agents away

On 01/09/2024 at 15:50, Anag Ram said:

Without being too much of a party pooper, it is possible City were just rubbish 🪖

This is fair 🤣

But much like when we happen to lose,very few consider that the opposition were just good. 

All we need this season to be a success, is 3 teams that just happen to be worse than us. We've found 1 already 😁

7 hours ago, RamInSweden said:

I think Ozoh was huge in the second half. The way he was winning the ball deep and then driving forward, allowed everyone else to get forward and stretch the defence

Hoping he stays injury free and does what we dreamed Bielik would do. 

Finally got around to watching the game. And that is the single most promising performance I've seen under Warne by a distance. A lot of the issues I've had with how we've set up or gone about our game seem to be being addressed. Especially after the first goal (well from a little before) there was just more emphasis on a bit of control. I'm not bothered by how big a percentage share we have, what I care about is that it looks we care about having the ball and showing patience where appropriate. There were more attempts to play out from the back, we'd look to recycle and build again if an attack wasn't on more rather than trying to force it, our press was smarter and we weren't just looking to sling it in the box but work an a opportunity and have that degree of patience. We looked more dangerous and they were all elements that I felt like if we didn't see more of we'd struggle in this division.

Few other observations:

• Yates is better than I expected and isn't exactly the type of player I thought he was. I thought what were getting was a scrappy, run the channels, 'busy' forward. When actually he's pretty much a false 9, an intelligent player with great touch and awareness. Might sound a little odd but he reminds more than anything of Chris Martin. They both have that ability to completely unlock a defence with a single clever touch. Play him as a sole striker and the players in and around him are going to score a bunch this season.
  • Credit to Warne and the coaching staff for adapting and embracing Yates leading the line. Our attacking is shifting to accommodate him and I feel we will be rewarded for it as our attack looks more dynamic and it improves our general play. This might be controversial but a big part of me thinks that failing to get another striker across the line might be a blessing in disguise.
  • Jackson, especially with Yates up top, is going to comfortably break double figures this season.
  • Goudmijn was both excellent and I feel like we are only seeing the surface of what he's capable of. It was noticeable how much of a nightmare he became once his confidence was up.
  • I've given Ozoh a lot of criticism in the past few games but he's already showing signs of doing better with some of those weaknesses. And this game highlighted more than anything that if he didn't have those weaknesses there isn't a chance he'd be on loan with us.
  • I'm not sure if anyone noticed but Warne made a clever switch in the first half to swap which side of the pitch Ozoh and Adams were on which led to getting a better foothold in the game. We were struggling to play out of our right hand side with that right hand corner triangle being nyambe, nelson, Adams and by putting Ozoh in there instead we'd get out of that side more.

10 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

In his RD interview, Dom asked him about it, and to paraphrase, it was something they'd been working on in training, and my feeling was they'd been working on it heavily

Think it was indicative of what looks like more work in general on attacking patterns and interchanges in attacking positions.

13 hours ago, clough08 said:

Baffled as to why Palace loaned out Ozoh when Hughes is struggling every week in their midfield. He's not fast or strong enough to compete at top level whereas Ozoh certainly is.

Bluntly right now Ozoh would be a liability for Palace in the premiership. His positional sense, his tactical awareness, his decision making and concentration are just too poor right now to play at that level. And they are all more important than physical attributes at that level because the ball is always going to be faster.