Barrow (A) - Match Thread

Sean

1 minute ago, hintonsboots said:

There were no patterns of play tonight and the players were making it up on the hoof as well as hoofing it. It’s not entertaining in anyway whatsoever and we are struggling to recruit any decent players by the looks of it.

I've redacted your post as yes I agree it was shocking tonight and yes I agree that we are also struggling to recruit players.

Am not sure if you are connecting the first and second points both with the manager as if you are I would vehemently disagree with you.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Warne:

Not great in the first half and no threat in behind [and he expected Collins to offer that?]

Didn't control possession well enough

Goudmijn and Thompson were feeling a bit tight (calves?).

We need a few new faces in 😱 Need an extra "2 or 3"

Confirmed Chirewa is mainly an 8 but can also play on the wing, with us using him as a "narrow 7" tonight.

Not you GoC but what a load of SHoneT - mainly an 8 used as a narrow 7 what utter tripe - we have needed a proper centre forward since Christmas and we still don’t have one but we sign fragile loan players who are not going to actually play on match day in the league. For whatever reason we have let good midfield youngsters leave for very little money (Bird,knight,Sibley) and now we don’t pass a ball or run with the ball or shoot from midfield with any confidence. Warne should have left a week after promotion and we should have given someone the chance to play more attractive football - even our centre half’s look exhausted - small rant over - I support the team but I hate the approach to football but that’s all we are left with nowadays.

3 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I bet you a lot of fans are, especially those who shelled out and travelled all that way to watch a load of millionaires or soon to be millionaires totally underperform. The travelling fans should be refunded - out of Paul Warne's pocket.

Quite a few, just cannot see past their quite personal dislike of Paul Warne. I never hold a manager 100% responsible for individual poor performances of players or shocking games. It’s what happens over the full season. So far PW has delivered success. That’s a fact. Opinions vary. He isn’t about to get sacked and the season has barely started. 

32 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't think anyone is too bothered about being knocked out of a tinpot cup that we were never going to win anyway but this was an opportunity to at least get another win under our belt this season and build a bit of confidence. In the end, it just reinforced the doubts about the quality of the squad and coaching staff that anyone may have had.

Hopefully that will serve as a blessing to the recruitment team then?  3 days to put it right!

Not sure how I’m feeling around Paul Warne currently.

Last year we got promoted on the back of being very solid defensively, having a solid keeper and being danger on the counter and set pieces. We were leaps ahead of most teams in quality so could back ourselves defending against opposition and cutting through teams on counter.

Now a step up, we’re one of the worst teams in the league, so relying on defending when we’re often outmatched doesn’t work. What scares me is in possession. We were really poor last year, and banked on breakdowns for set pieces and crosses, and tonight we could barely play into Barrows half. Looking at Oxford & Pompey, playing on the front foot is giving them more success than we have had so far. The Middlesborough game was a game we lose/draw 9 times out of 10.

I want the guy to do well, but if this way (that hasn’t worked with Rotherham on 3 occasions) doesn’t work, we look so uncreative and unable to do anything else.

Board showed last year they wont be rash making and decisions and it worked, which makes me feel it could be the same again…

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

That's a figment of your imagination though. The vast majority of posters are buzzing on here when we win. The fact is, people have genuine concerns about the level of performances. There are a couple that are perpetually negative, however people's concerns now are valid given the manner of our performances so far. 

There are a number of forum members who will be unhappy win, lose or draw. Ultimately because they won't be happy until Warne is gone. They're the extreme of that side of the argument. They exist, just as the extreme of the other side do.\

The issue really is that, for whatever reason, there are a few on here now who attack the poster and not the argument. Personal snipes, snide comments, insults. I think it ends up bringing the entire quality of the forum down. It will stop people getting involved in conversations on here because they don't want to get personally abused by your usual offenders. It also just makes the original argument toxic.

Like I said earlier, I've never ever added someone onto ignore on this forum. Mostly because I don't want to live in a vacuum filled with people I agree with. But it is unfortunately the only way to improve the quality on here at this point.

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's genuinely not a figment of anyone's imagination though that's the sad fact.

I respect that folks get concerned when they view what was served up tonight. 

I find it really difficult to understand how, for example, when we beat Boro at home the same element on here find bits to moan about. It's truly mind boggling.

This is just an extension of that tonight. You know who they are too, just skim read back the last few pages. 

Or even better refer to the people whom gave your post the hand clapping emoji. 

You seem determined to make this about other forum members rather than the game, the team, the tactics or the manager. All of which are perfectly valid things to discuss.

2 minutes ago, BWRam said:

Not sure how I’m feeling around Paul Warne currently.

Last year we got promoted on the back of being very solid defensively, having a solid keeper and being danger on the counter and set pieces. We were leaps ahead of most teams in quality so could back ourselves defending against opposition and cutting through teams on counter.

Now a step up, we’re one of the worst teams in the league, so relying on defending when we’re often outmatched doesn’t work. What scares me is in possession. We were really poor last year, and banked on breakdowns for set pieces and crosses, and tonight we could barely play into Barrows half. Looking at Oxford & Pompey, playing on the front foot is giving them more success than we have had so far. The Middlesborough game was a game we lose/draw 9 times out of 10.

I want the guy to do well, but if this way (that hasn’t worked with Rotherham on 3 occasions) doesn’t work, we look so uncreative and unable to do anything else.

Board showed last year they wont be rash making and decisions and it worked, which makes me feel it could be the same again…

In Paul warnes last season with Rotherham,they were doing well in the championship to be fair,a fact that is constantly ignored for some reason.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 minute ago, vonwright said:

You seem determined to make this about other forum members rather than the game, the team, the tactics or the manager. All of which are perfectly valid things to discuss.

I was replying to another post, but if you choose to take my comments out of context to further your narrative then please carry on 

Very poor. We didn't have a lot of choice at the back, but I would much rather play Fozzy as a centre half and Elder or Osborn on the left. Bradley is simply too limited.

Up front Collins and Barkhuizen are not good enough, so why play them? Brown made a difference when he came on, and showed his composure with the pen after scoring the winning pen in the FA Trophy final. And lots of good touches. He has the potential to be massively better than Collins/Barks in the next few weeks, and it was a major error by Warne not to start him. The manager's deeply conservative nature when it comes to experience always preferred over youth, which will be Warne's undoing eventually.

But what the manager does do well is create team resilience and spirit and I fear we are going to need that over the next few weeks.

A huge missed opportunity for the club as these games should be important to experiment (eg Brown as starting striker) and the money does become good once you're a couple of rounds on. I'm out of here for tonight as this place is going to be grim. After that level of performance followed by the shockingly poor penalties, that's inevitable.

Not read anything on the match thread up to now. Just sat and watched the game. So I may get this horribly wrong.....(I apologise if so)

But that was really bad wasnt it? 

I think I probably would have been watching a very low pyramid non-league game the last time I saw a team of ANY paid level, win the ball and just give it back to opposition within 3 (hurried and awkward) passes. Insane amount of uncontested turnovers of play. Needs counting as it may be a record. 

I also cant remember seeing so much (and I'm not sure how to really say this but) crap kick technique of a football.  It was mental the amount of scuffed strikes of the ball we made. 

"Naughty Derby, get in your basket!"

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

In Paul warnes last season with Rotherham,they were doing well in the championship to be fair,a fact that is constantly ignored for some reason.

Which took him going up and down for 6 years to achieve. Do you want to wait that long?

24 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's the same posters with their incessant moaning which is the issue, here not tonights performance.

I can't condone tonight's turn out in the same manner they are unable to condone their persistent negativity.

Sorry Tyler, hammering down on people because they are not ecstatically happy about how the team of played is a bit poor. My wife, who has no interest in football at all asked me "Will you be supporting Derby County because they are Derby County, and do it through thick and thin?" To which I said "Sorry - you've got me there. Thick - what's that?"

"Listen, the last time we were getting slightly fat was in Stevie Mac 1, which was 10 years ago. So we've been doing the "supporting them through the thin" for all those 10 years".

40 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The performance tonight was almost as bad as the overreaction on here which is saying quite something about how bad it was

I think the performance was worse. 

37 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It allowed the same posters to progress their narratives which I'm happy for them.

They need every excuse after all.

I dunno I think that the bare minimum expected normally silences those that only complain. 

34 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Going back the past 10 years, I believe we've only gone out of the cups to lower league opposition 5 times ... Pompey in the 15/16 season, Chorley in 20/21 when covid took out the 1st team so we had to play kids, and then 3 times under Paul Warne (Crewe who we failed to beat over 2 games, Bradford and now Barrow).

icegif-665.gif

A staggering statistic.