Paul Warne, managers and plan

12 hours ago, Leecamp24 said:

PW calls the players out for not believing in themselves having spent his entire 2 years downplaying this club and hyping up everyone we play. IMO the bloke is way out his depth and always will be with us

Aye come on Lee, I remember when you were in the Rising Sun(Willington)a good few years back, You were talking to a few girls and they asked who you were...Lee Camp you said, Not one had heard of you, They left laughing.

I can see why 👍

Just now, brady1993 said:

The focus was too much on getting over the line and using established players to do so. Players who we knew were not going to cut it a league above. The quality we had when he took over was sufficient that there should have been more focus on how we develop into a side ready for the championship.

Warne would appear to be in a no win situation with that, as if the development of those said players hindered or delayed our promotion into the Championship then I guarantee there would be a load of noise criticising him for this. 

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Warne would appear to be in a no win situation with that, as if the development of those said players hindered or delayed our promotion into the Championship then I guarantee there would be a load of noise criticising him for this. 

Maybe, I think people tend have patience if the say progress and a project. And it's what I would have rather have seen we do and was saying so after we went down. But it's a view not everyone shares and he may have gotten stick for it if it took longer.

But my whole point is that I think he inherited enough quality that we could have done both in the same time frame, especially when it was readily apparent that we'd be struggling to throw money around. We shouldn't have come up and be suddenly needing 10-15 players. 

Edited by brady1993

37 minutes ago, Srg said:

I have no strong feelings on Warne. He gets praise and criticism whenever it’s warranted. But I’m not blind to the situation he’s operating in. Guardiola would struggle with such a talent and obvious budget disparity. 

Guardiola takes over now? Sure.

Guardiola takes over when Warne took over? We'd be in a stronger spot.

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

And if it hadn't? We had a good league 1 budget and if the early recruitment was anything to go by, plenty of 'pull'. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lots of the comments on here are mostly from posters moaning about the thread - why not just let people post what they want to say about the subject "Paul Warne, managers and plan" and if no-one has any comments it'll soon fade away?! 😄

Similarly, there's some posts moaning about posters moaning about the thread! 

So, why not just let people moan about yet another Paul Warne thread, when there is already an on-going thread on that very subject? (Simply yet perfectly titled too, so it's easy to find!)
We had all this last season, until the mods clamped down (Rightly so, imo).  There were the best part of a dozen Paul Warne threads under various guises at one point, and it got very, very tedious.

Merge this one into the existing one, and then there'll be no surplus thread to moan about, and it can fade away... or not... on it's own merit.  

13 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Similarly, there's some posts moaning about posters moaning about the thread! 

So, why not just let people moan about yet another Paul Warne thread, when there is already an on-going thread on that very subject? (Simply yet perfectly titled too, so it's easy to find!)
We had all this last season, until the mods clamped down (Rightly so, imo).  There were the best part of a dozen Paul Warne threads under various guises at one point, and it got very, very tedious.

Merge this one into the existing one, and then there'll be no surplus thread to moan about, and it can fade away... or not... on it's own merit.  

Why do you think there's another Paul Warne thread? Approach it that way.

14 hours ago, Jourdan said:

How many Portsmouth and Oxford games have you watched to come to this conclusion?

How do you determine their squad value? A random figure on Transfermarkt?

I watched both their first games where Oxford beat Norwich comfortably and Portsmouth were seconds away from winning at Elland Road. 

If you don't believe the data why don't you just use your own judgement and look at the three squads. They're at least level in terms of quality.

Why don't you just be honest instead of deflecting?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why do you think there's another Paul Warne thread? Approach it that way.

Not sure I understand.

I certainly think there should be a thread on the subject, if that's what you're trying to get at.  🤷‍♂️

There's "A Paul Warne thread" already, yes.  Arguably "The Paul Warne thread". 
154 pages (and counting), for the very purpose of discussing all things relating to the man/legend/villain (*delete as applicable).  It's fantastic to be fair... Here's the link...

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/42574-paul-warne/#comment-2623026

But it's hardly "Another Paul Warne thread"!  This one we're in now is "Another Paul Warne thread".  That was the point of my post.

6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not sure I understand.

I certainly think there should be a thread on the subject, if that's what you're trying to get at.  🤷‍♂️

There's "A Paul Warne thread" already, yes.  Arguably "The Paul Warne thread". 
154 pages (and counting), for the very purpose of discussing all things relating to the man/legend/villain (*delete as applicable).  It's fantastic to be fair... Here's the link...

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/42574-paul-warne/#comment-2623026

But it's hardly "Another Paul Warne thread"!  This one we're in now is "Another Paul Warne thread".  That was the point of my post.

Why not just one thread on all our matches, why a new one for each game? Same subject. 

Someone wants to talk about (what they consider) a different angle about our manager and club. I imagine if the Mods don't like it they'll merge it for it to get lost amongst all the Youtube videos. 👍

52 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Guardiola takes over now? Sure.

Guardiola takes over when Warne took over? We'd be in a stronger spot.

Has he ever managed a team that was in administration. Has he ever managed a team with virtually no money, how can you say what he would have done till hes been a manager of such a team.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Max Bird had his best season for goals and assists of his career last season, which he directly attributed to additional coaching work he’d done with Warne.

and the goals and assist numbers had nothing to do with the fact he played mostly as a no.10 last season...

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

No, but I do believe at this stage of the window we should have a squad competitive enough to get by if we have injuries two games in...

When Warne does leave would you please do us all a massive favour and apply for the job as new Derby County manager. We need someone with your tactical nous and knowledge of the transfer market and football finance. At least then we will know the promised land is but a season away. 

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

and the goals and assist numbers had nothing to do with the fact he played mostly as a no.10 last season...

It could well have done but Max Bird himself said he had improved his finishing after working on it with Paul Warne, so in the face of the statement along the lines of “he hasn’t improved a single one of our players through coaching” there is evidence to the contrary.

It is possible to say you have concerns about Warne whilst still acknowledging some of what he’s done you know? And pointing out Bird’s accomplishments from playing in the role of a 10, as some sort of proof that Warne hasn’t achieved anything as a coach (or tactically as per the other anti-Warne circle jerk you were driving the other day) seems contradictory at best. So either way, Bird had his best G/A in a season, himself saying it’s partly down to Warne’s coaching, by definition the use of Bird in a more advanced role is a tactical choice…. And you still can’t give the man a slight bit of credit? 

14 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

When Warne does leave would you please do us all a massive favour and apply for the job as new Derby County manager. We need someone with your tactical nous and knowledge of the transfer market and football finance. At least then we will know the promised land is but a season away. 

No sane person would want to inherit this crop of players.

Then you have Stephen Pearce in the background, who after a decade at the club have no actual clue what his role is (Don't think he knows himself sometimes).

Either way, we'll go down with this management team and set of players unless something out the blue happens this coming week. That's not me being over the top, it's my honest view of the squad and mindset within it.

3 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Then you have Stephen Pearce in the background, who after a decade at the club have no actual clue what his role is (Don't think he knows himself sometimes).

Either way, we'll go down with this management team and set of players unless something out the blue happens this coming week. That's not me being over the top, it's my honest view of the squad and mindset within it.

Blimey. Must be a barrel of fun at your place. 

24 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Has he ever managed a team that was in administration. Has he ever managed a team with virtually no money, how can you say what he would have done till hes been a manager of such a team.

I honestly think it's pretty easy to extrapolate why. 

First of all Warne didn't take over a team in administration, he didn't even have to deal with the direct fallout from it. He took over a good if small squad with a decent to good budget for the league. Crucially though he inherited several young players who had performed well a league above and he had practically a season which was a free hit. I don't think the situation he inherited was that difficult as management gigs go.

Guardiola is first and foremost a world class coach; he's excellent at developing players, teams and systems. It really isn't hard to imagine him doing significantly better in the same circumstances.

7 minutes ago, Simmoram2024Ramsrontheup said:

Adams had that ability as shown at Forest Green but Cardiff never played him. 

And the sole reason why Cardiff never played him is because he's a "bang average" squad player at this level and isn't even in the side when Osborn is fit, despite the drama of resigning him 🤐

Still, decided to throw our precious transfer funds at getting him anyway.

The old' Derby way strikes again.

Should have just gone for Oliver Norwood before his Stockport move - Definitely good enough at this level, absolute coup for League one.

13 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Just look at the facts. Three difficult games of which two were away. We’ve scored in every game and got three points. The transfer window has not yet closed. Warne got us promoted last year with a team that improved over the season after a worse start than this year (many of the known detractors were saying all the same things at this stage last year, well into the Autumn). Warne deserves a chance, he has earned a chance through success at our Club and IMO he is owed some patience from supporters. He will get it from Clowes regardless.