Paul Warne, managers and plan

When we appointed Warne it was because he was hailed as a promotion from LG 1 manager. I get that. He’s achieved it. Now, I understand we’re still under financial constraints etc however, with his style of play how long do we stick with him. I’m not a Paul Warne out fan as it stands. I’m just thinking he will never change his style. We’re not ever going to be an attacking possession based side under him. No matter how much time we give him that (IMO) will never change. I absolutely loved the Mclaren days of Martin Ward Russell etc. Let’s say we survive in the championship this season. What is the plan for the following season. Where and when is the progression. Our fans want to see good football. What’s our perspective and plan for say the next few seasons if we become an established championship side. Could you see PW leading us into the premier league. I’m not a PW hater, he has his strengths as does every other manager, but I don’t think a possession based attacking side we are going to be under him

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We need investment in the squad. We have spent £2-3 million to stand still. We have taken chances on loan players and free transfers.

How can we evolve as a team unless we can spend more and attract a better standard of player?

Why did we not buy some better players last season - Warne said he wanted players who were good enough for the Championship. So it's not just down to this transfer window is it?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why did we not buy some better players last season - Warne said he wanted players who were good enough for the Championship. So it's not just down to this transfer window is it?

We were under transfer restrictions, weren’t we? How often do teams in League 1 sign players that are ready for the Championship? How can you know who will flourish until you get there? Even our best players (Cashin, NML, Nelson) carry question marks at this level - that shows you what a challenge it is.

The reality is that if we are going to step up and stay up, we will have to invest more now.

Teams can spend £3 million on one player without blinking. That shows spending £2.5 million on three players just won’t cut it, especially if you are starting from a point where your established players need replacing.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We were under transfer restrictions, weren’t we? How often do teams in League 1 sign players that are ready for the Championship? How can you know who will flourish until you get there? Even our best players (Cashin, NML, Nelson) carry question marks at this level - that shows you what a challenge it is.

The reality is that if we are going to step up and stay up, we will have to invest more now.

Teams can spend £3 million on one player without blinking. That shows spending £2.5 million on three players just won’t cut it, especially if you are starting from a point where your established players need replacing.

Ask Warne, that was what he said he wanted to sign. Why say it if it's not realistic?

Edited by RoyMac5

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We need investment in the squad. We have spent £2-3 million to stand still. We have taken chances on loan players and free transfers.

How can we evolve as a team unless we can spend more and attract a better standard of player?

I understand and appreciate that. If we got some funds would you want PW at the helm splashing the £££ because I certainly wouldn’t. I even stated that we were under restrictions etc. My point being what is the long term plan. I don’t think it’s with Paul and his team 

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why are the other two promoted teams playing better football with more possession then? They both have lower squad values than us.

16 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Have a manager that makes all the current players better.

We are playing catch up on a massive scale due to what happened to the club, whoever is our coach is irrelevant unless they have the Midas touch like McKenna.

Warne ball doesn’t compare to McClaren ball and I think tactically he needs to improve so that we punch above our weight in this division.

Overall though, this season is all about staying up. Warne is just too honest with us fans which doesn’t help him sometimes.

Get behind the team and let’s see where we are further into the season, hopefully with a bigger squad.

I just can’t see us ever being an attractive footballing side under PW no matter how much money we have to spend. And I’d dread him spending the money if we eventually have some to spend. Like I said I miss the days of Mclaren. Even when we win is it exciting. Do you think “wow we played them off the park”, I don’t think I ever have. He’s done his specialty and got us up. But how long to we keep with it 

3 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

We are playing catch up on a massive scale due to what happened to the club, whoever is our coach is irrelevant unless they have the Midas touch like McKenna.

Warne ball doesn’t compare to McClaren ball and I think tactically he needs to improve so that we punch above our weight in this division.

Overall though, this season is all about staying up. Warne is just too honest with us fans which doesn’t help him sometimes.

Get behind the team and let’s see where we are further into the season, hopefully with a bigger squad.

why? 

theres plenty of managers out there that could get more out of the players

3 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Great a new thread for the usual suspects to slag off the club and manager 

It’s not about that. Do you think he’s the right man for the medium to long term. When we get some financial clout do you trust him with it 

10 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

Surely this year is about survival? Then next year we will kick on..

Do you think we’ll kick on under PW. Will you be excited to go and watch the style of football being played by a Paul Warne’s Derby County