Vs Watford (A) Match Thread

DCFC1388

42 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

The reasoning, flimsy as it may be, would be that it conveys a message to the players that if they play well, they keep the shirt. I think if PW does give him the nod, it'll just be for the one game anyway and may help us keep hold of Josh as our #2 option, rather than losing him and having to find someone else. It also let's JWZ know that there are no free rides, irrespective of the transfer fee.

Just my opinion though and most won't agree.

Maybe give Vickers the nod for our inevitable lengthy cup runs and chance to star at Wembley twice this season? 

6 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

The reasoning, flimsy as it may be, would be that it conveys a message to the players that if they play well, they keep the shirt. I think if PW does give him the nod, it'll just be for the one game anyway and may help us keep hold of Josh as our #2 option, rather than losing him and having to find someone else. It also let's JWZ know that there are no free rides, irrespective of the transfer fee.

Just my opinion though and most won't agree.

I think you’re defeating your own argument by saying it’ll just be for the one game. What if he plays an absolute stormer against Watford?

For me, it’s Zetterstrom all day long. He’s been signed as a no. 1 (although PW would probably say he’s been brought in as competition for Vickers). Get him in asap and be thankful we have such a competent backup in Vickers.

3 hours ago, Allen said:

I think you’re defeating your own argument by saying it’ll just be for the one game. What if he plays an absolute stormer against Watford?

For me, it’s Zetterstrom all day long. He’s been signed as a no. 1 (although PW would probably say he’s been brought in as competition for Vickers). Get him in asap and be thankful we have such a competent backup in Vickers.

Well firstly, I'm not really arguing anything. I don't know anymore than you do, it's just a suggestion based on my sense of how PW operates and we'll know one way or t'other pretty soon anyway. For the little such conjecture is worth, if he did play an absolute stormer, having been given another opportunity for doing so against Boro, I'd assume he'd keep the shirt a little longer, but my sense of it is that we saw the absolute best of Josh the other night and that he may find that hard to replicate. I'd imagine and hope that JWZ has a significantly higher ceiling, but his fee alone guarantees absolutely nothing, otherwise Johnson, Anya, Butterfield and Blackman would all have been flyers too, wouldn't they?

Equally, I've not seen a single game in its entirety where Jacob was keeping, so his fee and the highlights reel that I posted on here aside, I've only the word of Scandinavian journos and his old club to go on. Both suggest he's very promising and on balance, my assumption is he'll prove to be exactly that, but I'd imagine Warne will make a call based on what he sees with his own eyes, not what others have told him. We should not forget however,that the lad is at a new club, a long way from home and playing in an entirely new league, so I don't really see how him been given a little time to settle and find his best form is such a stretch.

All just opinions, but all as valid as your own and FWIW, I am grateful to have Josh as a potential #2 and have made that clear, I think.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The Watford fans are having historic Derby fun on their forum:

image.thumb.png.13a3b7841214e46b7b07ce77d5c7811a.png

Thread is at: https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/watford-vs-derby-county-24th-august-2024-3pm-vic-rd.61112/

Amusing to see they aren't happy with the owner. They had no complaints about him when the Pozzos were cancelling the contracts of valuable players at their Spanish club so that Watford could sign them for nothing to help them avoid FFP breaches whilst getting promoted at our (and others) expense, or filling their squad with so many loan players from Udinese to, again, avoid financial breaches whilst winning promotion that the rules were changed to prevent this very same dodge.

I don't wish ruin on them, but a few years of financial restrictions, relegation and ownership problems is the least they deserve.

Watford is like Luton without the vans. Even the famous Gap can't bear to be near it.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Thread is at: https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/watford-vs-derby-county-24th-august-2024-3pm-vic-rd.61112/

It's nice to see that they can name a number of Derby players over a thirty year span. Other than players that we signed from them, I'm struggling to remember any Watford players.

Cash missing the next two games and Kane missing the next three games it sounds like because of Concussion and a Hamstring problem. Sounds as if Kanes isn’t too bad 

Edited by Eoghan1884

JWW

Nyambe Bradley Nelson Forsyth

Ozoh

Adams Osborn

NML Jackson

Yates

I like Kenzo - and he would play most games for me from what I’ve seen so far - but I would go for as tight and combative a midfield as I could as I reckon this could be another backs to the wall game (not much creativity but not sure that matters).  Use Jackson’s and NMLs pace as an outlet. Vickers would be unlucky to be dropped but I assume JWW was bought in as he is a better bet, so pick your best keeper I would say (obviously if he’s not shown much in training then Vickers gets another chance to impress). I’m assuming Yates can play now and as I’m not a huge fan of the general play of Collins, I would chuck him straight in too. 

I am a little disappointed that we don’t have any other defenders to bring in. Quite happy with the transfer business we have done but it has ground to a halt (without even much in the way of decent rumours).  

Perhaps not a popular school of thought, but I'm glad the correct precautions are being taken with Cash. He won't be, obviously, as the lad's a warrior, but his head movement immediately after going down was disturbing to say the least and his long-term health is far more important than a couple of  games missed.

Personally, I'd be starting Fozzy and Nels at CB with Elder at LB, though I fancy Bradley will get the nod after a good defensive shift against the Smoggies.

Edited by Comrade 86

20 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fair play to them. Obviously some old boys who remember our legends. I'm trying to think of theirs.........

The thing that shocked me the most is that Poom finished his career there with a career ending injury against Reading. His replacement off the bench? One Scott Loach.

Even more confusing that Wiki says Loach never played for them 🤷‍♂️

Anyway. It’s Watford so I’m expecting they’ll sack their manager first thing Friday morning for no apparent reason while flogging the entire squad to Udinese. They’ll then resign the whole squad back from Udinese on loan for the season but will have failed to allow time for international clearance. This will result in Cleverly’s replacement relying on an u21 side pumped up by ‘Tiny Dancer’ being played on a continuous loop for two hours in the dressing room before the game.

Winning or losing will decide if the new manager is sacked on Tuesday or a week on Tuesday.

Watch it happen.

8 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

The thing that shocked me the most is that Poom finished his career there with a career ending injury against Reading. His replacement off the bench? One Scott Loach.

Even more confusing that Wiki says Loach never played for them 🤷‍♂️

Anyway. It’s Watford so I’m expecting they’ll sack their manager first thing Friday morning for no apparent reason while flogging the entire squad to Udinese. They’ll then resign the whole squad back from Udinese on loan for the season but will have failed to allow time for international clearance. This will result in Cleverly’s replacement relying on an u21 side pumped up by ‘Tiny Dancer’ being played on a continuous loop for two hours in the dressing room before the game.

Winning or losing will decide if the new manager is sacked on Tuesday or a week on Tuesday.

Watch it happen.

That league debut for Loach was also when he became a victim of Tw@twell - remember the 'ghost goal'?