Is this our worst Championship team since 08?

Looking back Nigel Clough took over a mess. But at least he had sone quality to work with right away in Hulse and Commons.

Philip Cocu was dealt a rough hand in his second season. Chris Martin had left, we seemingly had no forwards with CKR injured and Rooney was poor.

The administration season saw us relying on a bunch of kids. Yet without deductions, we would have been safely midtable. That surely wasn’t down to Rooney’s managerial ability?

Which leaves us the current side. I can’t help but feel Warne is up against it. Perhaps our struggles under Clough can give us some perspective regarding Warne’s future? It certainly wasn’t pretty under Clough, especially his second season post November.

It's very difficult to judge teams and players from different eras.

All I will say is that I am worried heading into this season. I think the Championship is a pretty good standard nowadays. I saw a fair bit of it last season (son is a Saints fan) and we're nowhere near the standard I saw in teams like Southampton, that dirty lot who play in white, Hull City, Middlesbrough and so on.

Last week, watching the Blackburn game on TV didn't help. It could be argued that the defensive naivety/mistakes were because we were chasing the game but more concerning to me was that we carried little or no attacking threat. Please don't let us just depend on corners and freekicks slung into the six yard area.

I'm worried. We lack quality and quantity in our squad.

And if it is, so what?
It’s quite understandable when you consider the context we’re in. It isn’t clear whether you are being critical of the current Board and management in the posting of your question and I would hate to jump to conclusions about anybody being needlessly provocative, but if there is some implied criticism then I would think it’s unfair.
If you’re only after statements of fact , then yes as we stand today after 1 game and with a couple of weeks of transfer window to go, then I would probably take Nigel’s team over this one. 

Edited by LazloW

5 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

We've played 1 game

Relax

Just looked at our predictions for the first home game of the season . Many fans going for anything up to a 4 goal loss. Never seen confidence drain away so quickly . We don’t seem to “rate”our team .

16 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Just looked at our predictions for the first home game of the season . Many fans going for anything up to a 4 goal loss. Never seen confidence drain away so quickly . We don’t seem to “rate”our team .

I mean - I put us at finishing 6th - 10th last season at the start of the season.. 

Its a game, a form of entertainment. Enjoy the ride, at least we've still got a club to enjoy

52 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Looking back Nigel Clough took over a mess. But at least he had sone quality to work with right away in Hulse and Commons.

Philip Cocu was dealt a rough hand in his second season. Chris Martin had left, we seemingly had no forwards with CKR injured and Rooney was poor.

The administration season saw us relying on a bunch of kids. Yet without deductions, we would have been safely midtable. That surely wasn’t down to Rooney’s managerial ability?

Which leaves us the current side. I can’t help but feel Warne is up against it. Perhaps our struggles under Clough can give us some perspective regarding Warne’s future? It certainly wasn’t pretty under Clough, especially his second season post November.

The next two weeks are key.  The new Swedish goalkeeper isn’t going to make a significant amount of difference in my view. We need 4 very decent outfield players, with a striker and centre back being absolute imperatives. The current squad is in my opinion weaker than anything we have had in the Champ over the last 15 years. 

45 minutes ago, LazloW said:

And if it is, so what?
It’s quite understandable when you consider the context we’re in. It isn’t clear whether you are being critical of the current Board and management in the posting of your question and I would hate to jump to conclusions about anybody being needlessly provocative, but if there is some implied criticism then I would think it’s unfair.
If you’re only after statements of fact , then yes as we stand today after 1 game and with a couple of weeks of transfer window to go, then I would probably take Nigel’s team over this one. 

No criticism of Warne. I think if we look back on Clough’s tenure, it was tough going for a while as he had little to work with.

I don’t think it’s fair Warne comes in for major slack if the squad just isn’t good enough regardless.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Is this the worst ever thread on DCFC Fans?

Why?

The quality of the squad will go a long way to determining if the manager is underperforming or not.

I’m not a big fan of Warne. But I feel he is heading into a scrap with at least one arm tied behind his back.

Edited by Bris Vegas

Just now, Comrade 86 said:

Is this the worst ever thread on DCFC Fans?

I think that might be anti-Bris sentiment. He has a point in my view. As you might (perhaps 😂) be aware I am no fan of Warneball, but he has (in main part because of some poor buys last season) a very poor looking squad to work with as we sit here today. Going to be a tough job to stay up as matters stand, and if we don’t add much more quality then Warne is going to have to wring out every last drop of effort and team unity from his players, which I acknowledge is one of his core strengths.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Why?

The quality of the squad will go a long way to determining if the manager is underperforming or not.

I’m not a big fan of Warne. But I feel he is heading into a scrap with at least arm tied behind his back.

Because the notion you seek to introduce is that we are currently lacking in quality which is a point that has been made several dozen times a day since about a month before we got promoted. The only difference being that you've chosen to create yet another thread to posit exactly the same thinking and added a 'Worst Ever' clickbait title.

Hope this helps! 

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think that might be anti-Bris sentiment. He has a point in my view. As you might (perhaps 😂) be aware I am no fan of Warneball, but he has (in main part because of some poor buys last season) a very poor looking squad to work with as we sit here today. Going to be a tough job to stay up as matters stand, and if we don’t add much more quality then Warne is going to have to wring out every last drop of effort and team unity from his players, which I acknowledge is one of his core strengths.

And you're entitled to your opinion mate, as am I.

12 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

It's a completely fair question, and interestingly framed. The quality of the squad is something a lot of fans (whether Warne fans are not) are thinking about as we get towards the end of the transfer window. 

The thread is called 'Is this our worst Championship team since 2008?' It's pretty clear what it's going to be about. If this bothers you*, why not sit this one out?

*Obviously don't mean you, iRam.

Edited by vonwright

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why?

I’m not a big fan of Warne. But I feel he is heading into a scrap with at least one arm tied behind his back.

Do we know what our final squad is going to be yet? Do we know how good (or not) Ozoh and Goudmijn are going to be? Do we know how well the squad are likely to play together?

I think it's a fair question but at least a month too early to be able to answer.

2 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

And you're entitled to your opinion mate, as am I.

You are, and I often value your opinion not all the time mind 😉. I don’t think I have ever seen what your opinion is on how you rate the current squad with the squads we have had in our previous 20 years in the Champ. Would you share with me how difficult a task Warne has this season working with the squad he currently has available. Is it a worse squad than Clough, Cocu or Rooney inherited?

12 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Because the notion you seek to introduce is that we are currently lacking in quality which is a point that has been made several dozen times a day since about a month before we got promoted. The only difference being that you've chosen to create yet another thread to posit exactly the same thinking and added a 'Worst Ever' clickbait title.

Hope this helps! 

How is it clickbait? I’m merely asking a question in comparison to former squads.

If this question has already been asked, feel free to report to the mods and have the thread taken down.