Cashin- what’s the matter with him?

8 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Cash has everything to be a great centre back but him and Nelson are probably more suited to being wide centre backs in a 3

Yes.  Not to mention that Fozzy in his dotage is also much better suited to playing in a back 3.

Wait a minute, that’s 3 of them … 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’ve always felt Cashin was a mediocre Championship standard defender who was regularly putting in 9/10 performances. 

Which means when he puts in 6/10 performances, or worse, he struggles.

That really makes no sense mate.

Cashin will come good, 1st game and all that, he started last season a bit slow , but got better and better as the season progressed, I will judge the team and players after 10 games, nothing is won or lost on the first game of the season, as most football fans should know, we are all black and white, and will support our team through the good and bad times , it's in our DNA youth. 

Last night Cashin seemed to be trying to do not only his own job, but also the job of some of his other team mates. On a number of occasions he went charging into challenges and tackles, that others should have taken the responsibility of doing.

Also he often attempted to bring the ball out of defence in an effort to start an attack. When the move subsequently broke down, he found himself out of position.

So while he may not be firing on all cylinders at the moment. Is this purely down to him or could it be down to either a lack of support or effort from some of his team mates?

It wasn't just Cash who started slowly last year, the entire back 4 did. We saw some horrendous brainfarts early on, which became less frequent as the season went on with us ending up being a very hard team to break down.

Like most others, I'd certainly not say 'no' to us recruiting a quick (and youthful) CB, along with someone to provide genuine competition to Fozzy for the LB slot (if Elder proves not to be up to scratch), but I don't think too much should be read into the performance last night. Our lads haven't suddenly become bad players, even allowing for the fact that they will be tested much more severely in this league.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yes.  Not to mention that Fozzy in his dotage is also much better suited to playing in a back 3.

Wait a minute, that’s 3 of them … 

I'd say Cashin and Nelson are better in a 4 than wide in a 3 where they will get dragged out wide.  In a 3 Cashin in.particular would suit the central role.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That really makes no sense mate.

I’ll try and explain another way.

I’ve always felt Cashin was playing to his max potential when playing well. That level isn’t sustainable every game.

I don’t see another level to his game. I don’t see a future PL player.

When Cashin was putting in 9/10 performances, I just saw a naturally average Championship player playing out of his skin. 

So the moment he puts in 6/10 performances, the level drops off.

To try and give you another example, Vydra has had a few seasons giving 9/10 performances at Championship level, scoring 20 odd goals. But in the seasons where he gave 6/10 performances, he didn’t get anywhere near that tally. He wasn’t good enough at PL level because that was never his natural level, he just had a couple of outstanding Championship seasons.

I feel Cashin will be the same.

Players like Will Hughes had another level.  

7 hours ago, trappatoni said:

I'd say Cashin and Nelson are better in a 4 than wide in a 3 where they will get dragged out wide.  In a 3 Cashin in.particular would suit the central role.

Yes I can see there are grounds for saying EC should play in the middle. One factor is how best to protect  Fozzy from the ravages of old age
The point about the CB’s being sucked out wide is a good one.  Depends how the oppo is set up but if it is a problem you need to work hard and become 4 or even 5 at the back out of possession. 

8 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Last night Cashin seemed to be trying to do not only his own job, but also the job of some of his other team mates. On a number of occasions he went charging into challenges and tackles, that others should have taken the responsibility of doing.

Also he often attempted to bring the ball out of defence in an effort to start an attack. When the move subsequently broke down, he found himself out of position.

So while he may not be firing on all cylinders at the moment. Is this purely down to him or could it be down to either a lack of support or effort from some of his team mates?

Yes, he was doing the work Ebou did last year. That pulled him out of position and left Nelson against two attackers. He needs more discipline in a two than in a three man central defence.

Since he came into the team just over two seasons ago he has been outstanding, so much so he has attracted attention of clubs higher up the pyramid.

He is currently experiencing his first real dip in form and maybe over reaching in trying to find it.All players experience it at some point it is a new learning chapter for Cash and he will emerge from it a better more rounded player and person.

35 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Since he came into the team just over two seasons ago he has been outstanding, so much so he has attracted attention of clubs higher up the pyramid.

He is currently experiencing his first real dip in form and maybe over reaching in trying to find it.All players experience it at some point it is a new learning chapter for Cash and he will emerge from it a better more rounded player and person.

Outstanding in the 3rd tier . He got away with mistakes in that league . Not in the Championsip . I hope he can step up and learn how to compensate for his lack of speed . We all do . 

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Think Cashin is far better in a two as well. But...

Cmon Roy let’s be honest Cashin is not playing well …head turned , bad form, too much muscle packed on blah blah …because he’s one of our own let’s just be honest he’s not playing well….

id pick Nelson over Cash every day of the week 

This is a step up for all of the players from last season and  has to show us he can make that step up if not we need a CB who can play regularly well at this level 

I'll only mention this again once as I have done so before.  Cashin has played in the Championship before and was the best player on the pitch most games.  He will do the same job if he's not expected to start off play.  That's the midfields job, so they need to take the ball off him early doors, get their arse in gear going forward and retain possession.  Then he can just defend. 

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'll only mention this again once as I have done so before.  Cashin has played in the Championship before and was the best player on the pitch most games.  He will do the same job if he's not expected to start off play.  That's the midfields job, so they need to take the ball off him early doors, get their arse in gear going forward and retain possession.  Then he can just defend. 

He just needs to re-adjust to the pace/intensity of the league I reckon, he was immense in some of those Champ games when we were up against it.

On 10/08/2024 at 21:46, i-Ram said:

There was a moment just before kick off where Cash was walking back and forth, short distances, apparently mumbling to himself. Just as the Sky cameras focussed on him. He looked wired/pumped. In fact he looked like a mad, caged dog. Was this an important shop window game for him I wonder. If it was, he made a total Horlicks of his audition. He needs someone like Curtis Davies to get hold of him, and remind him of what the positioning basics are for a Centre Back.

I mentioned this in the Blackburn thread, It was a strange spectacle to see...for me a WOW!...what's he on...moment 😉