Vs Chesterfield (H) Match Thread

A tidy performance against a good footballing side, Brown has the talent just needs the composure, Goodminge a very good signing, Forsyth knows how to play the game at his pace, Pleased for Thompson, Ozoh once he gets into the swing of things could be a good force in midfield, Banana skin missed

PS...I thought Vickers was awful 😁

I kept willing us to show some composure on the ball for longer periods and control possession. I don’t know if it’s the players or the system but we don’t half give it away cheaply trying to play it all within 5 yards of the touchline. 

29 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Chesterfield do play good football, I agree. However, we’ve been significantly better tonight though - they’ve had 7 touches in our box which is incredibly low. We’ve been dominant by every metric - which is what we needed to be. Chesterfield will do well this season, Dobra is an excellent player - no idea why he’s still there. 

Yeah you’d expect us to be better in terms of chances created because like last season it was a match in which we had a team of better players. But they play a style of football with a lot of players who weren’t playing league football last season which looks so impressive. Against teams at their level they’ll pick them apart. 

6 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Typical Warne win - just did enough. I used to think it was luck, but we've done it so many times now, it's clearly Warne's style. 

I still believe that people will be wondering how a team as bad as Derby are in 7th place at the start of April next year.

I'd love that to be true but 7 wins is more likely than 7th place this season.Couldnt tell who the championship side was tonight.

9 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

A tidy performance against a good footballing side, Brown has the talent just needs the composure, Goodminge a very good signing, Forsyth knows how to play the game at his pace, Pleased for Thompson, Ozoh once he gets into the swing of things could be a good force in midfield, Banana skin missed

PS...I thought Vickers was awful 😁

THEY'RE IN LEAGUE TWO! They outplayed us for large spells in the game. Embarrassing.

6 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Typical Warne win - just did enough. I used to think it was luck, but we've done it so many times now, it's clearly Warne's style. 

I still believe that people will be wondering how a team as bad as Derby are in 7th place at the start of April next year.

I used to think the same about Billy Davies. Then we stepped up a level and got absolutely smashed.

I’m not saying the same will happen with Warne.

But if you’re not convincingly beating inferior teams, in general it’s a sign of your level and you’ll soon get found out against better teams.

I can’t think of any side who were unconvincing in getting promoted and then thrived in the division above.

Feel free to pull me up on this come April, but IMO, without major investment between now and the end of August we will struggle this season - more losses than wins, negative GD, bottom 8.

Overall thoughts on tonight:

- We dominated the game (not in terms of score line, but overall play of the game)

- we retrieved the ball well

- Brown showed glimpses of quality (probably worth a trial period against Middlesbrough, Watford and Bristol city, before potentially being loaned out to a l2 or l1 team)

- Wilson needs to get back into form. There have been numerous times over the first couple of games where all he had to do was slide a ball through, but he ended up playing it too far.

- Vickers was solid, claimed the ball when it was there and showed good game management at the end.

- Don’t want to be too harsh, but I thought Collins was anonymous after coming on

There number 8 looked better than anything we had in midfield tonight. Plenty of players about in the lower  leagues who could improve us imo. I like the look of Brown he is abit raw but I think I would give him a run of matches as he stretches teams and is better at creating chances than Collo. Think he will improve quickly.

On reflection, we were comfortably the better side and deserved to win. Chesterfield were very clinical with their chance, but ultimately we were clearly better. 

Unlike others, I'd like to see Brown stay and prove himself. A young dynamic forward is what we're missing, and I always think it is a good sign a striker getting into positions to waste chances. 

A weird game. We could have been in the lead before a mistake gave them the first (and only) clear cut chance. 

Could have easily been 4-1 on another night with Daj’s chance and the crossbar. 

Their number 8, their long haired mid and Dobra all looked good for them. 

Think perhaps the clamour for Daj to be our main man might quieten down after that. 

Felt like Ozoh needs to wise up quickly in regular men’s first team football after the first 2 matches. He’s clearly got talent in abundance but many errors in terms of diving in too quickly. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Yeah you’d expect us to be better in terms of chances created because like last season it was a match in which we had a team of better players. But they play a style of football with a lot of players who weren’t playing league football last season which looks so impressive. Against teams at their level they’ll pick them apart. 

I agree, but they're a team with talent and experience. I wouldn't say they were typical of a National League side, nor League Two. They're favourites for a reason. 

It will get overlooked, but bar one moment of madness we stopped them from getting near our box for the most part. It isn't easy to do. At this moment in time, I'm liking what I'm seeing from Derby - we do lack craft and quality in the final third. We have been caught and punished on the counter. I do think there is promise in this team. 

Richie Barker took the media duties today with Dom rather than Warne, normal procedure in a cup game like this. Key points from it.

- Pleased with Dajaune and said he earnt his start and isn’t involved for charity. 

- Ebou Adams is going to train on Thursday, took a knock on his foot against Blackburn. CBT should also train Thursday/Friday. 

- Said he doesn’t know about the goalkeeper situation and if it’ll be resolved this week. Was laughing and saying he doesn’t care about goalkeepers. 

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I used to think the same about Billy Davies. Then we stepped up a level and got absolutely smashed.

I’m not saying the same will happen with Warne.

But if you’re not convincingly beating inferior teams, in general it’s a sign of your level and you’ll soon get found out against better teams.

I can’t think of any side who were unconvincing in getting promoted and then thrived in the division above.

Feel free to pull me up on this come April, but IMO, without major investment between now and the end of August we will struggle this season - more losses than wins, negative GD, bottom 8.

On your last paragraph, I thought Ipswich were a bit dodgy at times in league one. If Wednesday hadn't melted down entirely, they would have missed autos and had to scrap it out in the playoffs. They then got autos in the Champ.