Vs Chesterfield (H) Match Thread

First time I have ever done a match thread.

1st round of the Caraboa Cup, 7.45pm kick off. Available on Sky Sports+

Warne has confirmed he will make some changes to freshen it up. I would imagine its still too soon for Ward & CBT, to start anyway, and Yates is still suspended.

Vickers - Nyambe Nelson Bradley Forysth - Fornah Adams - Jackson Collins Thompson - Brown

Luthra Wilson Ward Cashin Robinson Goudmijn Ozoh CBT Washington

Vickers

Nyambe Nels Bradley Foz

Wilson Fornah Ebou Thommo

Jackson

Collo

Subs

Luthra, Cash, Elder, Ozoh, Osborn,  NML, CBT/Barks if not fit, Brown, Wash.

I’m not confident with our chances for this game. Speaking with some chesterfield fans I know, I said it would be an interesting match up as the way we play suits chesterfield and the way they play suits our attacking players.

From what I’ve seen they are very effective going forward if the opposition sit back, but they are mess if they are pressured high up the pitch. Hopefully, CBT will be ready as it is the perfect opportunity for him to gain confidence. Defensively, Chesterfield are no where if opposition players run at them and holes in their back line open up quickly.

If we are able to put through balls for the likes of NML, CBT and Jackson to run onto, we could potentially outscore them them.

However, they are get very confident (sometimes over confident) when opposition teams sit back and like attempting to dribble into the box before crossing the ball. They appeared to be at ease when Portsmouth and Leyton Orient played this way against them last year in the FA Cup.

In their build up to the game, I hope Warne or someone on his coaching staff warned our players about CFC’s tendency to flop around and dive once they get into promising areas. Combined with the amount of fans they claim to be bringing this could potentially deceive the ref as like many fan bases they shout for anything.

Overall, I have a feeling this could be the potential banana skin that no higher opposition want to be on the wrong side of.

Normally I'd advocate playing a less than full strength side in these Cup games so that some of the lads on the peripheries get game time, but I'd be more inclined to field a 'starting 11' or close to it for this game. We need to quickly find some rhythm and team understanding if we are not to end up under the cosh earlier than is comfortable and this might be a good opportunity for one or two to build confidence and grasp how we need them to play. I also think I'd also give Fozzy and Nyambe starts assuming they're fit. 

I would like to see:

Vickers

Nyambe    Nelson    Cashin    Osborn

Ozoh   Adams

Jackson     Goudmijn     Mendez-Laing

Brown

With Jackson and NML swapping wings. But I don't see there's any chance Brown starts in a Warne team. I want to get our four good midfielders in the side, and that means playing Osborn at left back. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Do think another loss here, whilst not important in the grand scheme of things, increase the noise ahead of a difficult game against Boro. Last thing we want to be doing is two games into the season boo’ing the team off. 

Exactly what we were doing last season

17 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Do think another loss here, whilst not important in the grand scheme of things, increase the noise ahead of a difficult game against Boro. Last thing we want to be doing is two games into the season boo’ing the team off. 

Totally agree with this. We need a win, a much changed team and a loss puts pressure on for Sat as 3 loses in the first week of the season doesn’t help anyone. We played Friday so an extra day than the usual Sat/Tues. Field our strongest 11 and go for the win. I would like a proper striker though so Collins or Brown in for me. 

If I remember correctly we were booed off at half time or full time for the first 6 home games last season. 

Edited by ollycutts1982

38 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Totally agree with this. We need a win, a much changed team and a loss puts pressure on for Sat as 3 loses in the first week of the season doesn’t help anyone. We played Friday so an extra day than the usual Sat/Tues. Field our strongest 11 and go for the win. I would like a proper striker though so Collins or Brown in for me. 

If I remember correctly we were booed off at half time or full time for the first 6 home games last season. 

I’ve spent most of today practicing my boos in the mirror - didn’t get to use them a lot last season

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Surely not even Derby fans will boo the team after only a couple of games. I think we have to experiment to find the right formula. Osborn LB or LWB and Daj starting as a central striker (it took starts for him to have his impact at Gateshead). Worth shaking it up and just seeing if the answers are right in front of us.