Stefan Teitur Thordarsson - signed for Preston

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I could be wrong, but when the 24/25 accounts are released in 2026 then I would be very surprised if their wage bill is higher than ours. 

The latest released accounts: 

Preston 22/23 - turnover: £15.5m & wages: £21.5m over 134 staff (85 football related). 
Derby 22/23 - turnover: £20.4m & wages: £17.2m over 177 staff (59 playing staff - presumably doesn't account for coaches, like Preston). 

It was our first season in League One, I would assume last season it would be close and going into this season that we will be fairly significantly higher once we're finished in the window. We will probably be close to double the turnover too (in fairness). 

Well either way he hasn’t chosen us, so no point crying over spilt milk etc.

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

FWIW, I’ve heard today that the fee was less than the £800k reported - he signed for Preston because we were unwilling to pay it. He’d have come here otherwise.

I think we will regret this one, and I’m yet to see this competitive budget…

Competitive budget includes wages too remember. 

My opinion on this is that if the difference between us signing him and not signing him is about £100k and Warne was adamant that he’d be a difference maker then I can’t see Clowes not sanctioning it. He’s 100% behind Warne and £100k is peanuts in football. 

The fact we’re allowing another side to outbid us means our recruitment team and manager must think there’s better value out there without reducing impact on the first team. 

10 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Feels like there is a bit of Veruca Salt reaction to this guy. ‘I don’t know who he is but I want him anyway’.

Similar to the sub who suddenly is the one player we are missing.

Every season we all identify a ton of positions we need to strengthen. It never all happens and players we had cast off become integral. 

We just need to wait and see.

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I thought I would do a little dig and see what Silkeborg fans thought of Thordarsson and it's not exactly despair they're losing him - of their 'top' players he was the one they wanted to sell to raise funds. He's been played as a 10 and has struggled - they seem to like him more as an 8 who plays a bit deeper and he has good physicality. 

From the other players worth noting:

Klynge, Lund & Busch seem to get the majority of the positive comments, in terms of technical ability I would probably look there. The best player is Oliver Sonne, although he's become a bit of target as he's apparently dropped off last season. 

Interestingly enough, in the 22/23 season they had him rated as their worst player who had played more than half the games. 

When it was first revealed that we were looking in Denmark, Thordarsson's attacking stats (in particular shooting) looked amazing. However, defensively he was very poor which made me doubt he could have been a target - I would expect all players in a Warne team to be part of a high intensity press. Just one player not pressing makes that tactic innefective. As such, I'm not too bothered by us missing out.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Competitive budget includes wages too remember. 

My opinion on this is that if the difference between us signing him and not signing him is about £100k and Warne was adamant that he’d be a difference maker then I can’t see Clowes not sanctioning it. He’s 100% behind Warne and £100k is peanuts in football. 

The fact we’re allowing another side to outbid us means our recruitment team and manager must think there’s better value out there without reducing impact on the first team. 

Of course, but I don’t think wages here were the problem.

You may well be right. It just seems odd to pull out of the deal at this stage, given how long we’ve been tracking him and the effort put into scouting, over a fee which doesn’t seem unreasonable imo. As you say, there may well be better options out there - I have no idea how good this guy is, so I wait to see who we sign instead. We can then see if he has a bigger impact compared with Thordarsson at Preston. I just still think we will live to regret not coughing up the fee for this guy.

13 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Doesn’t sound very competitive then, especially with the 3m we just received for Kellyman

We are not getting that much and not yet but it will feature in the overall long term business plan I strongly suspect. Whilst paying a decent wage will be on the cards paying transfer fees of a substantial nature is far to early in our recovery plan I would suspect.

14 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We are not getting that much and not yet but it will feature in the overall long term business plan I strongly suspect. Whilst paying a decent wage will be on the cards paying transfer fees of a substantial nature is far to early in our recovery plan I would suspect.

It’s been pretty widely reported as a 15% sell on clause, so that figure is roughly correct. Any transfer fees we pay won’t be all upfront so when we receive the fee is irrelevant. 

Im not expecting us to be spending transfer fees into the millions yet, but the fee here is similar to what we are paying for Goudmijn - there’s no way we couldn’t afford it.

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I still can't imagine how we could be out bid by Preston though

1 minute ago, Gerry Daly said:

Scenarios where we could be outbid by Preston:

A) Preston value him higher than we do

B) He’s a priority target for them

C) We have alternatives

D) They have more money than we do

End of the day, if we rate him as a good purchase at, for example, £300k but Preston are willing to pay double that then crack on. We got into the mess we were in for not having sense. 

The overreactions on here are bordering on ridiculousness.

We don't know if we've been outbid, we don't know what wages are on offer or what promises have been made to the player, we don't know if he likes the Preston manager more than Warne, maybe he likes the way they play, maybe he thinks that they will be closer to the top end of the championship.

All of this is speculation, all of it is fair, but to take from that that we aren't competitive or we should have just paid more is daft, even if he was a top target there will be others.

In fact, to my thinking it seems like it was probably a toss up between him or Goudmijn, similar players, similar fees, who was the no 1 and who was the no 2, who knows?

Who will be better, well that's the gamble on all players! 

Warne might have felt that Kenzo was the better of the two, it was likely to happen so we didn't need to bid higher or go harder on the persuasion. 

Time will tell but you certainly can't draw any of the conclusions that are being stated on here as anything other than speculation. 

And let's not beat the club over the head with that eh? 

41 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

You been in the jungle mate? Mel and Sam moved on a few years back.

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah I’m not pretending to know how good he is, none of us do.

Yet you seem to have a real issue with us missing out on him, an issue that has developed over one weekend.

Your opening reaction to this link being "Now this is a bit more interesting than our signings so far. Obviously haven’t seen play, other than the one game against England"

Seems to me like you would be happy paying potentially over the odds, whatever it takes to get a signature from a bunch of foreigners that you've either never or barely seen play, because they are more "interesting", than signing proven players at this level like Osborn on a free.

So many bargains out there in Europe to be had that can turn you a profit ten fold after a season, however there are plenty of duds that will end up back to their countries after a year. Too many get excited by the mystery foreign name, trawling the internet for stats to justify the sexy name.

Personally, I find it a little hard to get upset over missing out on a player to Preston that I had never heard of prior to Saturday, I couldn't sit here and pretend to know if 600k or 6 million is a fair price for a player I've never seen or don't even remember playing once. 

Let's be honest here, had we signed him, after one poor game no doubt you would be hammering him for being in the lineup at 2pm and how Warne is clueless picking out the worst player in Iceland.

16 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

FWIW, I’ve heard today that the fee was less than the £800k reported - he signed for Preston because we were unwilling to pay it. He’d have come here otherwise.

You heard this from where?

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s been pretty widely reported as a 15% sell on clause, so that figure is roughly correct. Any transfer fees we pay won’t be all upfront so when we receive the fee is irrelevant. 

Im not expecting us to be spending transfer fees into the millions yet, but the fee here is similar to what we are paying for Goudmijn - there’s no way we couldn’t afford it.

No two transfers are the same 👍

18 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Kills me this does. I get how people can hear about transfers, players we are looking at from contacts within Moor Farm or the media team.

But to honestly think that your that ITK that you know what we have bid and not only that but that we did not want to bid anymore us unbelievable and absolute horse s****. Unless your sat on the phone with Clowes or Pearce theres no what you would ever know that.

It could be as simple as we have bid the same and he has chose Preston.

It could be we bid x amount, then they have come back and said, Preston have bid 800k.

We have gone, no we arent going any higher, we have other players on our list who are just as good that we would rather bid on for the money involved.

We are just about to sign a 22 year old Dutch midfielder for 600k on a 4 year deal. And there is about 6 weeks left of the transfer window for you to see this competitive budget.