Sibley gone

4 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Do I buy this house or not. Big decision, most definitely, not necessarily a hard one.

My decisions in life are easy or hard.  By definition if it's a big decision it can't be easy is my take. I'll leave it at that.

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

He wasn't going to say owt different was he?

Yeah, quite. It's a generic "jumped at the chance" interview that all players tend to give, including ones incoming to DCFC. It will have been a big decision for him, but he's seen Knight and Bird move and that probably made it easier, plus he wasn't the first of that crop to head for the exits in that he isn't 'breaking up the band'. 

Most of these interviews say more or less the same thing as they are fed lines by the interviewer so I never really read too much into them. That said, I think Osborn's interview was remarkably honest, personal and open. Quite refreshing actually.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

There's now a vacancy for a footballer on my home screen. No candidates so far.

I hope we get at least one player who can deliver some sparkle next season because hard-working athletes don't necessarily ignite the passion in one's soul. 

I should have listened more closely when Louie told us he wanted to play in the Championship in midfield - he has his wish now, regrettably not at Derby. 

I wish him well.

Screenshot_20240704_084857_One UI Home.jpg

I wouldn't get your hopes up Angie; judging by our transfer business so far I think we're in for a long hard slog next season.

It's so disappointing to get nothing for a 22-year-old who's played 170+ games. Oxford are getting an absolute bargain.

Surely it was worth offering him an equivalent deal in order to get compensation? Maybe there are details we're not party to. I can't help thinking the club should have known summer 2023 if he wanted a move and tried to get a fee for him. A few hundred thousand would make all the difference.

I can see why he'd want to go, so I don't blame him, but I don't understand how we get such consistently poor returns on good academy players.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

I hope we get at least one player who can deliver some sparkle next season because hard-working athletes don't necessarily ignite the passion in one's soul. 

I should have listened more closely when Louie told us he wanted to play in the Championship in midfield - he has his wish now, regrettably not at Derby. 

I wish him well.

It's all beginning to make sense now. It was you trying to photograph NML wasn't it @angieram

You are amongst friends here. Tell us all what happened. We promise we won't judge you? 😉

5 hours ago, angieram said:

I wish him well.

My understanding was that he was offered a deal which was drastically lower than the one that has expired and basically left him little choice but to move on. As we stand we have no goal scoring central midfielders on the books and we seem to be on second and third choices ( Osborne is no goal scorer from that position ) so I think we will miss him but Warne wasn’t going to play him and Oxford certainly will where I expect him to do very well. I think it’s one of those very poor decisions to let him go so easily.

5 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

It's so disappointing to get nothing for a 22-year-old who's played 170+ games. Oxford are getting an absolute bargain.

Surely it was worth offering him an equivalent deal in order to get compensation? Maybe there are details we're not party to. I can't help thinking the club should have known summer 2023 if he wanted a move and tried to get a fee for him. A few hundred thousand would make all the difference.

I can see why he'd want to go, so I don't blame him, but I don't understand how we get such consistently poor returns on good academy players.

Pure guess but I imagine he was on decent wages. If we'd have matched it, it's quite possible we'd have priced him out of any move. Particularly if the buying club knew they'd have to pay hefty compensation as well. So we'd have been left paying more than we thought he was worth. 

11 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Christ Almighty, I was just beginning to get my head round the fact he’s left us then I watched that, all the best Louie lad

Sad Season 5 GIF by NBC

NGL, held my tongue so far, but I am a tad gutted by this. Honestly feel like the lad had got his head down last season and was showing the kind of consistency that warranted a contract extension. I guess it might be that wild tales of a inflated wage deals being doled out like confetti under Morris are not so wild after all, but I don't believe Louie would be too quick to leave for purely financial reasons. I do wonder whether the urge to play in a more attacking role and perhaps to simply spread his wings a little like former wingmen, messrs Knight and Bird, might not be the overriding factors?

In any case, our loss is Oxford's gain. I really hope the lad does well there, though not against us obviously and that Louie can show his detractors what he's all about.

Thanks for the memories Louie and all the best son! 

86 x

By the time we go to Oxford , Paul Warne will have had 10 games against mid- table teams . If things are not going well and we are desperate for points , would Sibbo celebrate a scoring last minute winner in front of the Rams dugout? I don’t think so , but it must have crossed his mind . Apart from that game I hope he goes on to greater things .

I like to think I know a talented player when I see them, Sibley certainly had the talent...but...being constantly played out of position, Having several different managers, Being dropped after a few games more than once says that for some reason LS hasn't been good enough in the consistent stakes.

Sometimes a player has to take a step back to move forward, I think this is what LS is prepared to do, DCFC offered him a contract for what they thought was a good offer, LS/Agent thought otherwise, I wish this boy well and when he comes back to Derby with Oxford he'll be given a very good welcome.

My 1 abiding memory is his through pass to NML for the goal against Cambridge a run from his own half a superb ball to NML with precision...thanks LS...all the best.

On 04/07/2024 at 09:48, Crewton said:

Why? If any team knows how to stop Sibbo from being effective, it's us.

Jeez, dry your eyes mate.

Actually how we stopped him was by playing him out of position or dropping to the bench or even further, even after scoring winning goals.

9 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually how we stopped him was by playing him out of position or dropping to the bench or even further, even after scoring winning goals.

After his first few games under Cocu, he never found any kind of consistency in midfield - his goal and assist stats since 19/20 demonstrate that. Instead of being an occasionally effective midfielder, he became a consistently effective wing-back. I'm sorry to see him go, but I think if he wasn't "one of our own" there would be much less angst about him going. If he becomes the type of player we once thought he could be, at Oxford, hats off to both him and them and it'll be another question of what might have been.

One scarcely publicised factor - his agent is Wasserman, just like Max Bird. Motwyw.