Kayden Jackson - signed on a 2 year deal

Jimbo Ram

11 hours ago, Chopper said:

Ok first a disclaimer, the only clip I've seen of him is atop of a bus chanting: "Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again", which to be fair is a good start.

In such matters like that all I can go on are the fans of the other clubs. Ipswich have no beef with us so theres no bitterness, we can take their opinion positively. From what I can gather they like him and are pleased that he may be moving to a club like Derby.

They like his attitude, Warne wants the right sort he might be that, a big positive for team cohesion.

They say he is hardworking, earlier comparisons with Fagen fall down at this point. God loves a tryer and so do I.

They say he has pace. Pace is pace irrespective of league. It gives him time. It worries defenders, it draws fouls. It helps.

Consensus appears to be forming from them that he's not a natural finisher, fine, so he may not be played through the middle. But if he is played there pace allows him to stretch the game, if he's in a two he will draw players from the other guy.

From my point of view, we know aged 30+ players can have their best season in front of them. Nate as a prime example.

I'm positive. Our attacking line needs rebuilding, pace and hardworking is one such element that a line up needs.

He’s powerful and pacey, the team that finished second last year used him fairly regularly off the bench. He’s only 30, some wanted Smith to be given another year and he’ll be 34 by the end of this season. 

The stats aren’t exciting but I’m not gonna write off our season or this player before he’s kicked a ball for us. You never know what’s going to happen.

we’ve had 2 footballers have their most successful attacking seasons of their careers (near the end of their careers) in the last two seasons in McG and NML so maybe we’re a place people settle in at and enjoy a late burst of form. 

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Really? A 30 year old striker on a three year contract who’s only ever scored 6 goals at this level in his entire career?! Jesus if this is the standard of our recruitment we’re in for a long season… I really hoped we’d see an improvement on last summer, but the signs ain’t looking great so far.

Just hope he’s got something more about him than his stats show. At least we’re likely to sign another couple more strikers this window I’d think, given it’s been a position of serious need for a year or so now.

Is that the terrible recruitment that got us promoted without spending a penny?  

I'm happy with this kind of signing at this point in the rebuild.  Three years seems like one season too many, but if we can afford the wages (which we obviously can), then so be it.  If the target for this season is top six then I'd be worried by signings like this, but it isn't so I'm not.  If all he does is come on after 70 minutes each week to give NML a rest, then that's enough to justify the signing for me. 

Osborn and the other players we've been linked to, seem more than adequate to get us 13th to 18th in the table which is a realistic aim for this season.

My godson plays for Ipswich and his dad has said Jackson is a good player. Apparently he was used alot to stretch teams and did the job well. I'm confident he can be a good player for us and having more pace and power in the team is never a bad thing, it's having a team full of slugs that I can't stand. 

It's definitely an option for us and it's a yes from me. 

🐏🐏🐏

42 minutes ago, S6 boy said:

Is that the terrible recruitment that got us promoted without spending a penny?  

We got promoted because of good recruitment the previous summer. Players like Mendez-Laing, Collins and Wildsmith were some of our most important players. Only Nelson played a key role in our promotion - most of the rest of last summers signings were failures for various reasons - Waghorn, Elder, Ward, John-Jules, Bradley… the list goes on. Our recruitment was objectively awful and we need to see a lot better this summer.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

We got promoted because of good recruitment the previous summer. Players like Mendez-Laing, Collins and Wildsmith were some of our most important players. Only Nelson played a key role in our promotion - most of the rest of last summers signings were failures for various reasons - Waghorn, Elder, Ward, John-Jules, Bradley… the list goes on. Our recruitment was objectively awful and we need to see a lot better this summer.

Disagree. Nelson, Nyambe, Wilson added much needed quality.

Add to that a small contribution from many to get us up. Even Bradley came good eventually. 

Overall a good 7/10

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Awful? Extremely harsh given the result. Waggy contributed. Ward contributed. Bradley contributed. Elder and JJ were injury write-offs.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You're confusing the words 'objectively' and 'subjectively'.

The object of the season was to get promoted, which we did, therefore it is not possible to conclude that the recruitment was objectively awful.

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Playing regularly in a side that got promoted to the Prem isn't really to be sniffed at. He clearly has plenty to offer. Unsurprising to see the snide comments from posters about a player they've probably never seen play mind.

He played a total of 959 minutes for Ipswich last season… I’d hardly call that “regularly”

27 minutes ago, S6 boy said:

You're confusing the words 'objectively' and 'subjectively'.

The object of the season was to get promoted, which we did, therefore it is not possible to conclude that the recruitment was objectively awful.

As I’ve already explained, we achieved our aims but that wasn’t because of good recruitment last summer. They are two completely different points. To be honest Warne did well to get us promoted, given how unsuccessful most of our signings were.

33 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Disagree. Nelson, Nyambe, Wilson added much needed quality.

Add to that a small contribution from many to get us up. Even Bradley came good eventually. 

Overall a good 7/10

Nyambe was the other one who did well (but joined after summer I think?). Wilson has potential, but everyone else was pretty poor. You’ve gotta have a much better success rate than that - I’d have given the window a 4/10.