Kayden Jackson - signed on a 2 year deal

Jimbo Ram

Despite my concerns about his quality, he definitely seems like a throughly great, hardworking bloke, so I really hope he’s a success here. Welcome Kayden!

Assume he will play a similar role in the squad to Waghorn last season. Utility man who provides cover across all the forward positions, and can be used off the bench to run around a bit and provide some extra energy against tired legs towards the end of matches. Primarily I imagine he will be backup to Yates in the “second striker” role.

9 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

No-one is really, he hasn't played a game yet...😐

He's a player with Championship experience who's just helped Ipswich to back-to-back promotions, and he has an excellent fitness record, plus we didn't pay a transfer fee. His goalscoring record isn't great but we'll just have to wait and see what impact he has.

Someone send a telegram to Paul Warne: Milleniumram isn't convinced.

He played the equivalent of about 10 matches in the Championship last season, which isn’t far off the sum total of his Championship experience. As you say he’s on a free and I’m sure he will only be backup, but I’m allowed to have my doubts given his atrocious goal scoring record. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

11 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

Why? And who are you expecting us to sign that would ‘convince’ you? 

I’m not really interested in going over my concerns again. I’ll be more convinced when we start signing players which look like we’re preparing for a season in the Championship, rather than League One.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He played the equivalent of about 10 matches in the Championship last season, which isn’t far off the sum total of his Championship experience. As you say he’s on a free and I’m sure he will only be backup, but I’m allowed to have my doubts given his atrocious goal scoring record. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

I was just teasing!

Agreed - he should be a good, reliable bench player, his record doesn't suggest he's going to suddenly bang in 25 goals.

7 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I was just teasing!

Agreed - he should be a good, reliable bench player, his record doesn't suggest he's going to suddenly bang in 25 goals.

Genuine question, why are we assuming he's been signed to do so? Maybe he's seen as a pacey alternative to NML on the right flank? In which case you'd measure his success on metrics other than goals. 

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not really interested in going over my concerns again. I’ll be more convinced when we start signing players which look like we’re preparing for a season in the Championship, rather than League One.

Given the departures, we need to sign a squad, not just bolster an existing one with added quality. Jackson has a lot of attributes that should suit our style of play. This whole doubting a player before we've even seen them is quite tiresome. Why make the choice to be pessimistic when you could be optimistic, or even just sceptically quiet? The active choice to voice negativity is one I don't understand, especially after you were proved wrong repeatedly last season and your opinion doesn't hold much credibility...

Edited by YorkshireRam

Sounds like we are going to try and press from the front. I guess we've never quite had the right levels of pace and fitness to do this as effectively as Warne would like and Kayden is coming in for this. I imagine the front players will 'gas out' and need back up every game. 

This is how we even things up against the better teams coming at us. I'm all for it as long as there is some creative beauty amongst the athletes.

52 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Guessing it’s a 2 year deal with an option for a third then. Slightly better deal for a player of his age, but I’m still far from convinced by the signing.

I agree, let's write him off before he's kicked a ball for us ........ actually we could welcome the incoming players and wish them luck 🙄

On 28/06/2024 at 16:36, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Someone asked Ipswich fans on twitter what he is like:-

"Works his b******s off. Don't play him up top on his own. Id say the most successful he's been for us is playing RW, he is rapid and will track back"

"He's rapid and will put in 100% and will stretch defences"

"If Warne can work to his strengths, he will be a very good player for you. He can play on the touchline and despite having been a striker for most of his career he can put a good ball in as well. Also works as part of a 2 up top"

"You'll love him. Work rate of a husky"

"Use his attributes and he's great. As said, rapid, should make defenders very wary. Will work really hard and can pull players away with him to create space"

If its 3 years. In 3 years time he will the same age as Collins is now. So not that bad. I think it will more than likely ne a 2 year with he option of a third.

As with anyone, I will judge them when I see them in a Derby shirt.

Problem is, they are basing their opinions on actually watching him play for a couple of years.

Much more inclined to agree with people that have never seen him play, looked up his stats on the internet and decided he is a bad player, contract is too long and wages too high.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Problem is, they are basing their opinions on actually watching him play for a couple of years.

Much more inclined to agree with people that have never seen him play, looked up his stats on the internet and decided he is a bad player, contract is too long and wages too high.

Darn right.

I'm furious with this signing.

Why can't we sign any players made out of unobtainium on long contracts for little money who also have the name recognition that sends shivers down the spine?

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Guessing it’s a 2 year deal with an option for a third then. Slightly better deal for a player of his age, but I’m still far from convinced by the signing.

Really? Well on the DCFC Facebook page there is literally dozens of positive comments from Ipswich fans praising him and are so pleased he's joining a "big club"!. In fact I've never read such complimentary comments about a departing player from fans of his previous club. Not just about his playing abilities but how he's a great guy and a pleasure to have around the club.Very pleased with this signing.

20 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Genuine question, why are we assuming he's been signed to do so? Maybe he's seen as a pacey alternative to NML on the right flank? In which case you'd measure his success on metrics other than goals. 

Given the departures, we need to sign a squad, not just bolster an existing one with added quality. Jackson has a lot of attributes that should suit our style of play. This whole doubting a player before we've even seen them is quite tiresome. Why make the choice to be pessimistic when you could be optimistic, or even just sceptically quiet? The active choice to voice negativity is one I don't understand, especially after you were proved wrong repeatedly last season and your opinion doesn't hold much credibility...

I get that squad depth is important, I’ve made that point myself many times before, and I understand Jackson will likely not be a regular starter. But I think you’re neglecting a bit the step up in quality between League One and the Championship. We need to see a significant improvement in our starting 11 if we’re going to survive - We should be recruiting improvements on our regular starters from last season, so that they then get regelated to being squad players at this higher level. That’s how you successfully step up a division. 

There’s plenty of the window left so maybe things will improve, but at the moment I’m not too optimistic for the season based on the players we’re being heavily linked with. Feels very much like we’re recruiting for another season in League One, rather than one in the Championship.

As for the rest of your comment… absolute rubbish. Are we only allowed to post positive comments on here? Not allowed to express any doubts? I know certain posters like you would rather this was an a go chamber where everyone was a happy clapper and agreed with you, but that ain’t what a forum is for. I will keep expressing my concerns where I have them, thank you very much.