Nicest ever Derby players?

25 minutes ago, B4’s Sister said:

Clyde Wijnhard. Met him at an under 21s match many years ago. He had gone along just to watch. Lovely chatty guy about all things, not just football. I’ve always remembered how friendly and down to earth he was. 

When I met this seasons Derby team, Ebou Adams and Connor Hourihane really stood as being genuinely nice people. A few of the players came across as only being there because they had to be, but Ebou and Connor seemed to genuinely enjoy being at the awards night. 

I'd agree with that, Claire - and add Corey Smith and Eiran Cashin to that list.

Mendez-Laing is a bit shy, but it's getting better now he knows us. 

Roy Mac, my old man was mates with a lot of the 70's team and Roy has always been really nice to our family.

Stevie Powell, really decent bloke, again mates with my dad, played with his lad Stevie jr. for the Rams under 16's and he was another top bloke, as was his dad Tommy. Really nice family.

Ken Oxford , bloke was my first ever GK coach, taught me the basics when school and Allestree Juniors couldn't be bothered, took a keen interest in my progression in later years. Worked as a security guard in later life, got attacked once, he fell on the cash box like a GK on the ball and wouldn't let go, top top man.

Roger Davies, when Ken or Eric Steele couldn't play for the ex-Rams team Roger would give me a call as a 17 year old to help out in nets, he was a proper gent and looked after me, always asks if I'm still playing when he sees me. Not so nice to play against with his elbows and stuff mind 😂

Eric Steele, first met him when I was about 12 on one of his coaching courses, then he was the GK Chesterfield brought in when I was there, took an interest in me and took me training with first team keepers at Wolves and Oxford. Broke the news to me very gently and respectfully that I wouldn't get a pro-contract at Chesterfield. After I had a few years doing party drugs and the like and stopped playing football he heard that I was back playing at Mickleover, he invited me round to his house and some harsh words for me and gave me a load of Sondico gloves (same ones Poomy wore) and boots, he had no reason to do that. and shows the mark of the man. as far as I'm concerned. He has got loads of signed gloves for my mums charity, likes of Butland, Allison, Pickford. Still meet up every couple of months for a coffee and a chat, he even has me coaching sometimes! 90% of people in the game have so much time for him, also a Rams legend having been keeper for two promotions and coach for one.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Srg said:

The guy who got sacked for being racist is a fabulous person? That’s certainly an opinion. 

That's a ridiculous response.

He was answering the question, "nicest ever derby players", Eranio is and will always be a Derby legend! And a nice bloke too.

If you ever heard some of the things king Igor said 😆

Infact how about we complain to the club, have the picture of Eranio removed from the A52 Bridge...get Stimac removed while we are at it...oh and that picture of Clough, the big feckin racist, after what he said to Fashanu and all.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod

18 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He was answering the question, "nicest ever derby players", Eranio is and will always be a Derby legend! And a nice bloke too.

Infact how about we complain to the club, have the picture of Eranio removed from the A52 Bridge...get Stimac removed while we are at it...oh and that picture of Clough, the big feckin racist, after what he said to Fashanu and all.

I mean if you want to say someone who thinks all black players can’t think is nice, then I don’t know what to tell you. 

28 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

irony GIF

Ian Taylor.  Bumped into him walking back to Euston Station after the QPR playoff defeat. I'm quite a shy person and don't tend to approach (ex)players, but as I walked by, he stopped me to ask if I was OK (I obviously must have still looked dazed & despondent after the defeat) and we had a long chat all the way back to the station.  It really cheered me up - for a while anyway.

Everyone has mentioned Roy Mac,  met him in Derby in the 80s when he was getting his lawnmower serviced.  It all seemed very surreal and the guy serving him seemed more starstruck than I was.

3 hours ago, Premier ram said:

My best mates Gary Charles and best man at my wedding was Nigel Callaghan so I’m a bit biased towards those two , also Gary Rowett, James Collins , Mickey Forsyth and Steve Howard are really great guys 

How is Nigel doing? 

He was a fabulous footballer. And boy, could he strike a ball. Often with almost no back-lift. 

3 hours ago, Premier ram said:

My best mates Gary Charles and best man at my wedding was Nigel Callaghan so I’m a bit biased towards those two , also Gary Rowett, James Collins , Mickey Forsyth and Steve Howard are really great guys 

Unless you're an empty cup at Cheltenham racecourse.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

How is Nigel doing? 

He was a fabulous footballer. And boy, could he strike a ball. Often with almost no back-lift. 

Cally’s doing ok , living life to the full , due to our commitments I haven’t seen much of him recently but we have a phone catch up regularly 

5 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Did Nige do the disco ?

I still maintain that Nick Blackman was a decent bloke.  I took my young lad to the player’s entrance to get some pics and autographs before a match, and whilst most players just stooped down next to my lad and moved on, Blackman stood and chatted to him for a few minutes, asking him questions about what position he played and who for, etc.

He was really good with my lad and I really wanted him to succeed with us…

Curtis Davis, When my twin girls were mascots they were very nervous, before they ran out he said to them 'I leap and head an imaginary ball - but if your too cool for that you don't have to'! After the match the missus took the girls back to Bedfordshire on the train while I stayed for a few jars with the lads. Curtis was on the train and smiled at them, on noticing his Derby track-top she asked if he'd been to the game 🙄😆

Chris Powell, my mate lives in the same area of London and he says that he always sticks his head into the local shop to say hello. He was also the last person I saw play professional football who was older than me... Leicester 2010 I think?

Edited by RebelScum