Transfer rumours

7 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Our front line of Yates, Collins, Washington and Brown is interesting though. 3/4 wouldn’t get in to a top 10 league 1 team.

Hmmmm, interesting assessment considering 1 was the top scorer in a top 2 league 1 team last season and another the top scorer in a mid table championship team, whilst the youngster, expected to be a bit part player as he develops, was apparently being sought after by half the teams in L1.

I do agree though that it's not the most formidable set of options, but with the emphasis on improving the creativity behind them we never know.

All this talk of looking at an OoC striker now the window is shut, we already have 1 senior player too many for the squad, so we'd need to leave 2 out to keep the space open for an incoming.

The squads have to be declared by 11 o'clock tonight I believe,  so unless someone's left / had contract cancelled last minute then there's a couple of tough decisions to be made.

Luthra is a possibility as can use the youth keepers as 3rd choice back up, but who else?

I hear Barks name mentioned, but then why use him in every game so far if the intention was to offload, I know the Yr extension was triggered due to number of games last year, but if he really wasn't in the plans then I would have thought he wouldn't have been used and a conversation would have happened weeks ago to get him off the wage bill

Yates is a very good striker by the way. I think if we’d brought him in last night instead of at the start of August then people would be feeling a little more optimism. 

He isn’t the big unit Warne wanted upfront but this is where the manager makes his money. How do you tweak your initial plans to suit Yates who will run all day and has a 1 in 3 goal record?

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Just wondering what he offers as a centre forward as he has no skill, no pace, no shooting ability, no spatial awareness and can only head the ball if he’s standing still?

All true but even at Watford when he went up front he attracted centre half’s and we won half the knock downs and he even had a great chance to score not to mention all our other players had someone to aim at which they did.

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Yates is a very good striker by the way. I think if we’d brought him in last night instead of at the start of August then people would be feeling a little more optimism. 

He isn’t the big unit Warne wanted upfront but this is where the manager makes his money. How do you tweak your initial plans to suit Yates who will run all day and has a 1 in 3 goal record?

I agree with you. Given we will play on the break most of the time, a striker who can run in behind is more useful than a lumbering big unit.

We have got plenty of those for the set pieces, where they are needed.

What I would like to see is more awareness of the sort of forward balls needed to service Yates, Jackson and hopefully Brown, a change from reliance on get it down the wings and cross to "who? Nobody's there!"

We need a different emphasis on coaching through balls, low crosses and pull backs instead.

12 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

We've upgraded the keeper,  got a better center back,  have brought in Ozoh, Adams, Osborne as the engine room and plehty of exciting, pacey attacking options, Yates will score goals and is an improvement on last season.

Wilson/Ward were already competing for a spot, CBT has not burst into life...  there are plenty of options.

The issue is we have been playing in a way that suggests we need a mobile,  big strong forward..and it hasn't happened.  Hopefully we intend to play to our strengths and Yates and Brown will play most of the time...and/or we get someone in who will give us the option to do that. Washington seems surplus to requirements and Collins needs to be back up as we can't be relying on him regularly. 

Edited by Chester40

7 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Dom Dietrich confirming in the podcast  that we wanted Jebbison on loan but he chose to go Watford & we also wanted Al-Hamadi but the finances just didnt add up for us

I would argue that Jebbison would’ve been a poor signing for what we wanted/needed. Despite the size of him, the way he plays means he may as well be Peschisolido’s height. 

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

We've upgraded the keeper,  got a better center back,  have brought in Ozoh, Adams, Osborne as the engine room and plehty of exciting, pacey attacking options, Yates will score goals and is an improvement on last season.

Wilson/Ward were already competing for a spot, CBT has not burst into life...  there are plenty of options.

The issue is we have been playing in a way that suggests we need a mobile,  big strong forward..and it hasn't happened.  Hopefully we intend to play to our strengths and Yates and Brown will play most of the time...and/or we get someone in who will give us the option to do that. Washington seems surplus to requirements and Collins needs to be back up as we can't be relying on him regularly. 

Well as I say it’s down to Warne he knows he can’t sulk until January and he’ll have to sort something that plays to the strengths of Yates who has a good scoring record. 

Maybe push Brown on. Worst case scenario some desperate club in need of a home ground talent might throw £8m at us if he scores 2-3 goals. 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

All true but even at Watford when he went up front he attracted centre half’s and we won half the knock downs and he even had a great chance to score not to mention all our other players had someone to aim at which they did.

I think he’s worth shoving up there for ten minutes but not as a starter.

It isn’t a positive message for the strikers in the squad. I’d be pretty miffed as a striker if I stayed on the bench and Bradley was put up front. 

It’s staggering really that Warne’s team basically tries to score a goal by 

1 - get it wide and cross it into the box 

2 - counter attack with pace 

3 - hope we get a set piece and the ball drops kindly for anyone in the box.

So he has had 4 full transfer transfer windows and not sorted getting a centre forward that is tall, strong and can head the football and hopefully bring others into play and be aimed at when we lump it forward that can affect 1&3 

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree with you. Given we will play on the break most of the time, a striker who can run in behind is more useful than a lumbering big unit.

We have got plenty of those for the set pieces, where they are needed.

What I would like to see is more awareness of the sort of forward balls needed to service Yates, Jackson and hopefully Brown, a change from reliance on get it down the wings and cross to "who? Nobody's there!"

We need a different emphasis on coaching through balls, low crosses and pull backs instead.

The only one we have who has done that his whole career is Forsyth but we don’t have a Martin or Bryson reading it anymore or a Ward covering him when he does it - I would be playing Forsyth over Elder anyway if it was a straight choice 

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

In terms of net spend we were in the top 6: Middlesbrough and Coventry were runaway leaders, followed by Bristol and then us, Wednesday and Stoke were very similar. I suspect Stoke’s loan fees were quite high, therefore with blind guesswork:

Coventry
Middlesbrough
Bristol City
Stoke
Derby
Wednesday

Clowes deserves credit for that, albeit we quite didn’t get enough done. 

How much do you think we have spent? 
Do you think we have used the “sell on fees” we got over the summer?

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think he’s worth shoving up there for ten minutes but not as a starter.

It isn’t a positive message for the strikers in the squad. I’d be pretty miffed as a striker if I stayed on the bench and Bradley was put up front. 

I agree, I do expect him to be up there with ten mins to go frequently if we are chasing a game and as you say Brown and Washington were sat on the bench still at Watford as we used 5 subs one of which was Collins who I don’t remember touching the football. 

Don’t know why everyone is so Ancy for a striker. Today will be the same as the other games camped on our own half with 30%possession maybe one open game chance and await a set piece. I’m glad we’ve got Phillips as we are looking to keep the ball out than the ball go in with how we play

Edited by Barney1991

Shame we failed to get the big guy striker again. Collins & Yates will share the roll whilst brown is back up but need to learn how to control the ball & use his body to shield it better. Our midfield is strong and new additions Harness and twanda offer some flair. Back line is flexible and we just need a real leader as skipper NML is not the answer. 

1 hour ago, Rich84 said:

Hmmmm, interesting assessment considering 1 was the top scorer in a top 2 league 1 team last season and another the top scorer in a mid table championship team, whilst the youngster, expected to be a bit part player as he develops, was apparently being sought after by half the teams in L1.

I do agree though that it's not the most formidable set of options, but with the emphasis on improving the creativity behind them we never know.

Yes, When you think about Mac 1 .. Martin wasn’t exactly the most feared striker but with Russell, Hendrick and Bryson buzzing round  opportunities were created. 

25 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Don’t know why everyone is so Ancy for a striker. Today will be the same as the other games camped on our own half with 30%possession maybe one open game chance and await a set piece. I’m glad we’ve got Phillips as we are looking to keep the ball out than the ball go in with how we play

I think part of the problem has been the lack of creativity between defence and attack. We have added Chiwera and Harness to address that. It remains to be seen how effective they will be in that respect.