UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

27 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s quite possible France will win this tournament without scoring a single goal from open play    Own goals excluded obv 

It’s also quite possible England will win the tournament by only winning one game in the entire competition within 90 minutes.

We are doing what Portugal did in 2016.

There will be German fans tonight in disbelief that England have gone further than them. 

For the record, I classify the Dutch as a top 10 side in the world.

Beating them will be Southgate’s best result as an England manager. We haven’t beaten anyone as good as them during his reign.

41 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s quite possible France will win this tournament without scoring a single goal from open play    Own goals excluded obv 

Unless Deschamp comes up with a miracle I cannot see this happening. We (France) do not deserve to be in the semis never mind winning it, our best attacking player has probably been Kante, unbelievable in itself. Thuram is useless, Kolo Muani is crap, Dembele is mr row Z, Mbappé ‘s head is in Madrid, Giroud has disappeared. Barcola is one for the future. We play 3 defensive midfielders at times when Griezman is subbed off. 

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

I'm not disputing we've had some luck, I don't think any team wins a tournament by being comfortably better in ever game other than that insane Spain team for about 3 tournaments in a row.

But we've had excellent squads before, better than we have now, and done nothing with them. Southgate has managed to get to the semi-final at least in 3 of his 4 tournaments. In the one we didn't get that far, you could argue we were unlucky and if it wasn't for Kane's missed penalty, we could've gone through then too.

The quality of the football isn't really a dispute, every knows it's slow and boring. I just take issue with the comments that treat Southgate like he's no better than a National League manager. He is trying to set up in a way that we can win a tournament and has been on the verge of doing that.

Portugal won the Euros by only winning 1 of their 7 games. I don't think their fans particularly cared in the end, because they won. If we ultimately win this tournament then I don't really care how negative we are. The issues start when we don't get through, but I think this will be Southgate's last tournament no matter how it ends.

I think he did a very good job in 2018 and 2021, and was unlucky in Qatar. No dispute there. I just think he’s got a lot horribly wrong at this tournament.

But you’re right, if we win it will all be forgotten.

About a month ago I suggested Kane was very much a Van Nistelrooy type of player who scored but did nowt else and a team needs to be built to facilitate him and that perhaps starting with Watkins would provide more directness and would bring others into the game more, stretch play more etc. Two hours of grief about typos, him being the best centre forward in the world, always dropping into midfield to start of play, hardest working forward in the game, one of the worst takes ever on the forum etc.  Should have waited till today and saved the grief. 😂

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

About a month ago I suggested Kane was very much a Van Nistelrooy type of player who scored but did nowt else and a team needs to be built to facilitate him and that perhaps starting with Watkins would provide more directness and would bring others into the game more, stretch play more etc. Two hours of grief about typos, him being the best centre forward in the world, always dropping into midfield to start of play, hardest working forward in the game, one of the worst takes ever on the forum etc.  Should have waited till today and saved the grief. 😂

He’s just not that player though. He’s usually incredibly good at linking up play. See Shaw’s goal against Italy at the last Euros.

He’s clearly not fully fit this tournament. It’s a fair shout to say he needs dropping, but it’s just wrong to say he plays like Van Nistelrooy.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

He’s just not that player though. He’s usually incredibly good at linking up play. See Shaw’s goal against Italy at the last Euros.

He’s clearly not fully fit this tournament. It’s a fair shout to say he needs dropping, but it’s just wrong to say he plays like Van Nistelrooy.

He'll score plenty of goals if you play a team to fit him. If you don't, he won't.  He isn't a technical player so isn't adaptable like the very best strikers if things are going to plan where he can mix his game.  He reminds me of Van Nistlerooy in that way.  Great if you can facilitate that and create the chances he feeds on.  If not, it's an issue. 

7 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think he did a very good job in 2018 and 2021, and was unlucky in Qatar. No dispute there. I just think he’s got a lot horribly wrong at this tournament.

Exactly my view on Southgate. I’ve been one of his biggest cheerleaders but we’ve been awful this tournament and a lot of his decisions and team selections have baffled me. Yesterday was a difficult game and we were much better but still he made it difficult. It’s as if he expects extra time and penalties and saves his changes for it.

It feels like it’s the end of the road with him and England but if he wins it he should rightly be lauded and be allowed to do what he wants, even if that means staying on.

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s also quite possible England will win the tournament by only winning one game in the entire competition within 90 minutes.

We are doing what Portugal did in 2016.

There will be German fans tonight in disbelief that England have gone further than them. 

For the record, I classify the Dutch as a top 10 side in the world.

Beating them will be Southgate’s best result as an England manager. We haven’t beaten anyone as good as them during his reign.

It won’t be disbelief. They’ll understand that it’s simply down to the luck of the draw in the sense that England haven’t come up against a team like Spain yet.

8 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think his approach has been heavily influenced by how close we’ve come before. This’ll probably be Southgate’s last chance to win something. I’m not claiming he’s done everything right, by the way, I think he’s gone too much with players he’s always trusted like Trippier, and has been scared to take players like Foden off too early just in case in he finds a moment of magic - a bit like Bellingham vs Slovakia.

My argument is that his approach, no matter how conservative it is, is working (albeit with some fortune) and he’s getting more stick than he deserves considering what he’s done for England that countless other managers with wonderful players haven’t even come close to doing themselves.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure about that. Other than thumping the worst side at Euro 2024, have they really been that brilliant?

They were closer to losing against the Swiss side than we were, Switzerland arguably deserved to beat them in the groups and would’ve topped the group if it wasn’t for a last second equaliser.

VAR saved them against Denmark. In the space of about 90 seconds they went from 1-0 down to 1-0 up, both decisions that were probably correct based on the laws of the game, but I think some laws are very harsh and need changing.

They deserved to lose to Spain and ultimately did.

They were probably better than us on the whole, but they were never robbed, they just ended up on a harder side of the draw. I wouldn’t say that’s reason to be in disbelief.

Edited by Kernow

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I think his approach has been heavily influenced by how close we’ve come before. This’ll probably be Southgate’s last chance to win something. I’m not claiming he’s done everything right, by the way, I think he’s gone too much with players he’s always trusted like Trippier, and has been scared to take players like Foden off too early just in case in he finds a moment of magic - a bit like Bellingham vs Slovakia.

My argument is that his approach, no matter how conservative it is, is working (albeit with some fortune) and he’s getting more stick than he deserves considering what he’s done for England that countless other managers with wonderful players haven’t even come close to doing themselves.

We should get behind the manager if we want England to succeed but we were the favourites for this tournament.

We can’t claim to have done ‘well’ just because we’ve reached the semi finals via the easiest half of the draw.

I’m hoping the best is yet to come and that Palmer and Toney get more game time.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We should get behind the manager if we want England to succeed but we were the favourites for this tournament.

We can’t claim to have done ‘well’ just because we’ve reached the semi finals via the easiest half of the draw.

I’m hoping the best is yet to come and that Palmer and Toney get more game time.

Favourites to win it, and we’re 1 of 4 teams left that can still win it.

I’m not claiming we’ve done really well. To reach this stage of the competition is expected based on who we have had to play so far.

Southgate, like everyone else, wants to win a tournament. If come next Sunday we do that then I’m not going to care that it took 120 minutes to beat Slovakia or penalties to beat Switzerland.

Edited by Kernow

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Favourites to win it, and we’re 1 of 4 teams left that can still win it.

I’m not claiming we’ve done really well. To reach this stage of the competition is expected based on who we have had to play so far.

Southgate, like everyone else, wants to win a tournament. If come next Sunday we do that then I’m not going to care that it took 120 minutes to beat Slovakia or penalties to beat Switzerland.

Yes, sorry I wasn’t suggesting that was your view but others are lauding our success at getting this far.

I’m with you that I just hope England win.

However they will need to step up dramatically if we are to progress further.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, sorry I wasn’t suggesting that was your view but others are lauding our success at getting this far.

I’m with you that I just hope England win.

However they will need to step up dramatically if we are to progress further.

It’s still not been brilliant but yesterday was a lot better than it has been. Switzerland coasted past Italy & could/should have beaten Germany, they weren’t an easy route to the semi-final.

It just seems at the moment that if we win, it’s because of the players bailing Southgate out, if we lose it’s because of the manager.

If we go out, it’ll be because of all involved not being good enough. If we win the whole thing, it’ll be because of everyone involved, not in spite of certain individuals.