UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Elsnik going off has robbed Slovenia of a potential penalty taker, if it goes to penalties. I remember how calm he was when taking one for Derby in the League cup at a tender age.

Two actually, Derby beating Carlisle 14-13 on penalties, his second one was the winner.

It was a long night.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Do we have to rethink our opinion of England now we've seen Portugal get a 0-0 (normal time) result against Slovenia too?

No its just two dysfunctional sides instead of one. Its not easy to steam roller determined physical sides but we have still been technically and tactically way off players like Rice and Stones looking like Savage and early last season Bradley on the ball.

On 26/06/2024 at 17:29, Bris Vegas said:

Sven had Rooney, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, JT and Rio for world class players.

Three of those occupied one/two positions, while Rio was out of one tournament and Rooney injured in another.

Southgate has a similar conundrum with Rice, Foden and Bellingham, but he has better attacking options in Kane, Saka and Gordon. Walker is one of the world’s best right-backs, and Stones is a top class player. I’d argue Pickford is better than any of our goalkeepers during Sven’s reign.

I don’t believe Sven’s team was any better overall than the current group.

Um, David Beckham
Sol Campbell
Michael Owen
Michael Carrick - brilliant footballer, wasted by England.
Would we count 2002 Seaman as better than Pickford?

11 minutes ago, Magicman said:

None of the current squad apart from Walker would get into the golden generation England  teams 

Saka would maybe play if we played with proper wingers , ironically I think Walker has been s*** and offers  nothing creatively in a team that needs width. Kane imo has been better for England than Rooney and his ability to score in the box similar to Klose or Shearer suits top level football more than what Rooney offered in most tournaments even though he was a better player at his best.

Kane Owen

?    Gerrard Scholes Beckham

Cole  Campbell Terry Walker

Seaman

Based around early 2000s ability for golden generation.

1 hour ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Saka would maybe play if we played with proper wingers , ironically I think Walker has been s*** and offers  nothing creatively in a team that needs width. Kane imo has been better for England than Rooney and his ability to score in the box similar to Klose or Shearer suits top level football more than what Rooney offered in most tournaments even though he was a better player at his best.

Kane Owen

?    Gerrard Scholes Beckham

Cole  Campbell Terry Walker

Seaman

Based around early 2000s ability for golden generation.

I think the general consensus is that the golden generation was around 2002-2006. So take Owen out for Rooney, and I think Ferdinand has a shout over Campbell. 

1 hour ago, ramit said:

Lively game so far, am close to neutral with a slight leaning toward the Romanian team.

There's a Romanian player with a distinguished last name.  Gheorghe Hagi was one of the greatest players of his generation.

It's his son.

The Romanian coach is also the son of a former national coach.

Judging by the style of play, one would imagine that Holland would rather meet Austria than Turkey, but then again some of the Turkish players will be suspended in the next game.  Personally I want Austria to come out on top, I have nothing against the Turkish players, it is their supporters I can't tolerate, remembering and not forgiving how they booed and whistled during the Icelandic national anthem before we last played them.

The Austrians have only themselves to blame so far, they don't stretch the defenders by using the width of the field.  Turkey has played well.

On 27/06/2024 at 07:57, Mucker1884 said:

SUI
                     SUI 
ITA

ENG

ENG
                     ENG 
SVK

ENG

ROU
                     NET 
NET

AUT

AUT
                     AUT 
TUR

ENG       Euro 2020 Thumbs Up GIF by Jake Martella                             

GER 
                     GER 
DEN

GER

ESP
                     ESP 
GEO

GER

FRA
                     FRA 
BEL

FRA