UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

34 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Perfect timing I'd say. Bringing someone on who then scores on 89 minutes and 59 seconds...

Lot of talk everywhere on tinterwebthingy about the penalty. It was one. In real time, I never thought "penalty". Neither did the ref. Then came the first video replay and I said to my dear Dutch lady wife... "that will go to VAR and it will be a penalty". I was right. So was the VAR to ask the ref to view the video. As was the ref when he decided to give the penalty.

Now, there are a lot of people saying it wasn't one. Unsurprisingly Koeman and his players but also Gary Neville and other ex players, some English folk and a lot of people from the rest of the world. Words like "soft penalty" and "never a penalty" are everywhere.

Let's look at the incident in question. Dumfries goes in late, studs up and connects with Kane's foot getting on 3 feet off the floor. If that happens in the centre circle, it's a free kick and a yellow card all day long. This next bit might surprise some folk but... exactly the same Law applies in the box as out of it. If it's a free kick and a yellow in the centre circle then it's the same in the box except that the free kick is now a penalty. Nowt wrong in the ref not seeing it "live", nowt wrong in VAR looking at it, 100% correct decision to ask the ref to view the video and idem ditto the decision to give the penalty and a yellow card.

I'm a qualified ref and I support the officials' in this. Take the emotion out of it and they got it right.

Too right, you see it in almost every game elsewhere on the pitch, where a defender clears the ball down the pitch and a striker lunges in front to block the clearance, resulting in the defender foot making contact with either the striker's leg or torso on his follow through. Invariably a free kick and a yellow card is given against the blocking player, unless you're Darryl Powell against Liverpool, I'm which case it's a red card. 

These incidents don't end up with the studs making any contact either, unlike last night, which could have easily resulted in metatarsal damage for Kane.

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

Let's look at the incident in question. Dumfries goes in late, studs up and connects with Kane's foot getting on 3 feet off the floor. If that happens in the centre circle, it's a free kick and a yellow card all day long. This next bit might surprise some folk but... exactly the same Law applies in the box as out of it. If it's a free kick and a yellow in the centre circle then it's the same in the box except that the free kick is now a penalty. Nowt wrong in the ref not seeing it "live", nowt wrong in VAR looking at it, 100% correct decision

to ask the ref to view the video and idem ditto the decision to give the penalty and a yellow card.

I'm a qualified ref and I support the officials' in this. Take the emotion out of it and they got it right.

This is the moment that the World changed

image.png.34bb05727f88f6c1cb47598a076325b5.png

I too am a qualified Referee and imo it wasn't a penalty.

Dumfries foot is raised...not to a dangerous height but raised to block a shot, Kane with his action kicks Dumfries studs after connecting with the ball, These incidents have happened in this tournament outside of the box and the official has waved play on...I've seen every game played so far ☺️

Interesting to hear both Wright and Neville who both had differing views, One an attacker the other a defender, The Referee in normal time waves play on, The VAR assistant asks for him to look again(clear and obvious mistake)once an official is sent to the screen we pretty much know the outcome.

Tell Mrs MadAmster I sympathise with her as I do with my Sons partners Mother...who is Dutch 👌

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Have to say, we come across a lot of Dutch on our camping escapades through (usually) France.

Far and away our favourite camping neighbours, and have even had some significant influence on the way we holiday... Top-Notch Dutch made canvas storm tent, Dutch-stylee (and Made in Amsterdam) e-bikes. 
And of course, I still look great in my Bob Marley Ajax shirt!  😎

#Love the Dutch, we do.

Pleased you didn’t mention the Dutch cap

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Too right, you see it in almost every game elsewhere on the pitch, where a defender clears the ball down the pitch and a striker lunges in front to block the clearance, resulting in the defender foot making contact with either the striker's leg or torso on his follow through. Invariably a free kick and a yellow card is given against the blocking player, unless you're Darryl Powell against Liverpool, I'm which case it's a red card. 

These incidents don't end up with the studs making any contact either, unlike last night, which could have easily resulted in metatarsal damage for Kane.

Not that simple. Contact was initiated by both players and the defender’s boot was high only because the ball was high. 

views will differ as to whether it was a pen

but it certainly wasn’t a clear and obvious error  VAR should not have called him to the screen  

it seems the Dutch have asked for their bicycles back once too often …

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

This is the moment that the World changed

image.png.34bb05727f88f6c1cb47598a076325b5.png

I too am a qualified Referee and imo it wasn't a penalty.

Dumfries foot is raised...not to a dangerous height but raised to block a shot, Kane with his action kicks Dumfries studs after connecting with the ball, These incidents have happened in this tournament outside of the box and the official has waved play on...I've seen every game played so far ☺️

Interesting to hear both Wright and Neville who both had differing views, One an attacker the other a defender, The Referee in normal time waves play on, The VAR assistant asks for him to look again(clear and obvious mistake)once an official is sent to the screen we pretty much know the outcome.

Tell Mrs MadAmster I sympathise with her as I do with my Sons partners Mother...who is Dutch 👌

Yeah, but, when did you last referee a game? 😉

15 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Yeah, but, when did you last referee a game? 😉

It was a long time ago Crewton...a long time ago 😊, I think we're close to being the same age, I'd wager we've seen 1000s of games on the TV, Down the local park, At countless venues up and down the Country and may have even played the game, But these little incidents in the blink of an eye can cause so much debate or angst among many many people, Pro footballers I've read this morning who shout loud enough say No pen, Then there's others who go through the finite musings of the video and say penalty.

I watched a fella on YouTube this Morning he watched it and watched it, Slowed it down, Speeded it up and came to this conclusion...it was a penalty...but...he said...if this was against England he'd have been livid ☺️

We've seen over the years where Maradona's hand of God goal was given, Lampard's goal that crossed the line that wasn't, Sol Campbells header against Argentina disallowed and of course Beckhams red card, Not forgetting Geoff Hursts 1966 goal 😁

Football is such a subjective game that even Angels will end up fighting each other, My grievance is with VAR this technical device which was here to help the referee appears to have become the referee...and with that, It's lunch and Lords and lunch in my household, Catch ya in a bit 😁  

6 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

It was a long time ago Crewton...a long time ago 😊, I think we're close to being the same age, I'd wager we've seen 1000s of games on the TV, Down the local park, At countless venues up and down the Country and may have even played the game, But these little incidents in the blink of an eye can cause so much debate or angst among many many people, Pro footballers I've read this morning who shout loud enough say No pen, Then there's others who go through the finite musings of the video and say penalty.

I watched a fella on YouTube this Morning he watched it and watched it, Slowed it down, Speeded it up and came to this conclusion...it was a penalty...but...he said...if this was against England he'd have been livid ☺️

We've seen over the years where Maradona's hand of God goal was given, Lampard's goal that crossed the line that wasn't, Sol Campbells header against Argentina disallowed and of course Beckhams red card, Not forgetting Geoff Hursts 1966 goal 😁

Football is such a subjective game that even Angels will end up fighting each other, My grievance is with VAR this technical device which was here to help the referee appears to have become the referee...and with that, It's lunch and Lords and lunch in my household, Catch ya in a bit 😁  

My serious point, Alf, is that the laws and the interpretation therof have changed significantly since the likes of us were gracing the local playing fields. That "studs first" type of block is often classed as dangerous these days because of the possibility of a serious injury being caused even if the offender is stationary, whereas it probably wouldn't have caused a second look even 20 years ago. It's clearly one of those that divides opinion, but I saw it as the kind of challenge that ruined George Thorne's career and therefore a legitimate penalty. That said, I accept that under the Laws, it's still subjective.

I didn't think it was a clear and obvious error by the ref. It shouldn't have gone to VAR. 

Once it did though I think we all knew a penalty was coming. It's like the handball Germany won v Denmark. 

How far can you take this? Every shirt pull on a corner? Seems like VAR refereeing the game rather than assisting a referee. 

Anyway, we're about to have countless free kicks and a few cards against us on Sunday. Let's just hope the majority of diving and rolling around crying for 10 minutes is done outside the box. 

46 minutes ago, Crewton said:

My serious point, Alf, is that the laws and the interpretation therof have changed significantly since the likes of us were gracing the local playing fields. That "studs first" type of block is often classed as dangerous these days because of the possibility of a serious injury being caused even if the offender is stationary, whereas it probably wouldn't have caused a second look even 20 years ago. It's clearly one of those that divides opinion, but I saw it as the kind of challenge that ruined George Thorne's career and therefore a legitimate penalty. That said, I accept that under the Laws, it's still subjective.

I completely agree. The Thorne challenge jumped straight to my mind when I watched this too. Having said that, I think Dumfries has been dreadfully unlucky here. His was a far more sensible challenge than the one made by Douglas. The problem is that if you let ones like this go, you encourage players to make reckless and dangerous lunges, safe in the knowledge that it's fine to kick another player so long as you can reasonably argue that you were trying to block a shot.

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Love to see that. This is what we were lacking when appointing the so called better foreign managers.