Conor Hourihane - Has left the club

Went looking for an existing thread on Hourihane but the one I found is locked, as mentioned by @Eoghan1884 in the retained list thread, the Yorkshire Post is linking Hourihane with a return to Barnsley in a player-coach role;

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc-manager-latest-ex-boss-emerges-as-candidate-with-former-captain-also-linked-4629685

It’s only a short line without much context;

“Meanwhile, former Reds captain Conor Hourihane could also be a potential candidate for a player-coaching role, it’s understood. Hourihane, 33, is currently at Derby County.”

Wait and see I suppose but it’s got the Barnsley tongues wagging on X/Twitter. 

10 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Without disrespecting Conor as he has been a great influence and has definitely contributed on the pitch for us at times, we really need him to leave in order to free up much needed wages. 

I agree. I seem to remember reading somewhere he was our highest earner at 12k a week...mind you... I don't know what you'd get for £12k in the Champ ???

Forgive the crude scribbles but his legs have gone to the extent that… he’s class, but only if you’re bossing the game and he has the ball in any of these areas. His creativity and threat from range is a joke… arguably the best left foot I’ve seen in a Derby shirt. Had shooting, delivery and a threaded ball inside.

Has to go though, at his best a joy to watch.

IMG_5054.jpeg

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Forgive the crude scribbles but his legs have gone to the extent that… he’s class, but only if you’re bossing the game and he has the ball in any of these areas. His creativity and threat from range is a joke… arguably the best left foot I’ve seen in a Derby shirt. Had shooting, delivery and a threaded ball inside.

IMG_5054.jpeg

Your basically saying, that he's a dangerous player in the attacking third rather than running back or trying to take the ball of the oppositions midfielder in the attacking third where he struggles as he's not defensive minded.

Basically my take the entire season and why I think he could be a useful  player for the countering team we'll have to be for a fair few games this season. 

He was great for a year. A bit like my old grandad - looked like the world's most active pensioner up until 90, then sadly fell off a cliff physically and passed away a few months later. We could afford a player like Alfie May on his wages. Thanks mate, you did a great job for a while - but Father Time finds us all out.

And unfortunately, my old grandad wasn't on £12K a week.

15 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Your basically saying, that he's a dangerous player in the attacking third rather than running back or trying to take the ball of the oppositions midfielder in the attacking third where he struggles as he's not defensive minded.

Basically my take the entire season and why I think he could be a useful  player for the countering team we'll have to be for a fair few games this season. 

But if we’re a counter-attacking team he’d had to stay further forward  He doesn’t have the legs to play on  the transition.

I suggested this earlier in the season and perhaps there’s a reason he’s never been tried there. Maybe he’d crap on the turn or something. 

1 minute ago, cannable said:

But if we’re a counter-attacking team he’d had to stay further forward  He doesn’t have the legs to play on  the transition.

I suggested this earlier in the season and perhaps there’s a reason he’s never been tried there. Maybe he’d crap on the turn or something. 

Depends if he's playing 90 or 30 minutes.  I'd reckon with a full back missing halfway up the pitch and plenty of space,  he could feed balls to a pacy winger comfortably as well as moving into the right place to receive it back and belt the fecker .  Be no bank of 5 standing in front like we've had in 70% of games the last 2 years.

I think Barnsley would be a good move for him: a club he knows well, where he’s well liked and a clear route into coaching. He could still play a role in League One, maybe in a more passive, Liam Rosenior-esque type side, but he can’t be the main man anymore. I don’t think it’s a case of his professionalism or fitness, but at his absolute peak he was a midfielder who got stuck in at every level. He tries to play the same way, but his body can’t do it. 

Even if he does have another year here, he won’t be anywhere near the first team. I think this makes sense. 

18 hours ago, cannable said:

IMG_5054.jpeg

Have you been playing Tetris?

The highlights show we could do with someone with the technique to put away a pass around the 18 yard line.  Bird was pretty good, but Hourihane was the master.

All the best to him, if the rumours of a player coach role being on offer at Barnsley are true, then that's a good bridge towards his future coaching career. Always comes across well in interviews and i wouldn't be surprised to see him have a decent managerial career in the future. 

Well done to him for not just taking the easy money by activating the extension option in his contract.

On 15/05/2024 at 23:20, cannable said:

IMG_5054.jpeg

Dave Jones wants a word

He’d be ok to bring in for last 15/20 mins when players are fading and knackered, as he’d be about fit enough as them - but for £12k a week off the bench isn’t good enough return. - so I wish him well, but I think Thompson brings so much more to the team and thus some of CH’s wages should be used to give Thommo a better deal 😃🐏