Pre season

Well worked goal by chesterfield, but pretty disappointing to concede from a cross like that. Still, we played ok mostly the first half and it's been played at decent tempo so far

The positives?

Kenzo looks the business. Ebou is still Ebou. Elder has looked decent, although his crossing hasn’t. Jackson lively. 

Negatives?

Cashin looks glacially slow, Thompson/Wilson anonymous. Far too easy for them popping passes inbetween our midfield and defence. Albeit we do look dangerous ourselves, we don’t keep the ball long enough and then end up chasing shadows. 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

The positives?

Kenzo looks the business. Ebou is still Ebou. Elder has looked decent, although his crossing hasn’t. Jackson lively. 

Negatives?

Cashin looks glacially slow, Thompson/Wilson anonymous. Far too easy for them popping passes inbetween our midfield and defence. Albeit we do look dangerous ourselves, we don’t keep the ball long enough and then end up chasing shadows. 

Adams needs to sit in front of our three. Thompson poor 

It’s going to be a long season with three centre backs, three centre mids who don’t offer a goal threat, your best one (Kenzo) playing in the deepest position.

Two wing backs don’t offer goals and then your two strikers - one isn’t a striker (NML) and you’d struggle to suggest the other one is a striker. (Jackson).

Nyambe looks far more comfortable when he drifts over to the RB position.

Lots of square pegs in round holes and I fear the way Warne is putting this team together, it’s going to be like this.

4-2-3-1 please but we desperately lack a quality number 10. This is the most key signing for me now.

But heyho - Warne will play 8 defensive players and 2 winger-cum-strikers on opening day.

Chesterfield look bright…. I can see why there’s a lot of interest in Dobra.

Pre season game to try things, make mistakes and sort out before the season starts.  I can’t see us being so easy to play through 2nd half (I hope 🤣)

12 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

We have to bare in mind the players were due to have a double training session today before the gams so they will be abit fatogues & heavy legged

This is why I don’t bother watching pre-season games.

You can never read into F1 pre-season testing times too much because you don’t know how much fuel or what programme each team is running. That’s widely known.

In football it’s the same but it’s not widely known, or at least, it’s widely forgotten. You never know how serious each team is taking it, how far into fitness programmes they are, whether they trained that day etc. 

When the season starts, it all gets forgotten anyway. Who remembers our pre season form in 1974? Or 1995? Or 2001?

Only 3 of those players should be starting with a fully fit squad once the transfer window shuts.

I get a sense Warne is testing a couple of things out 'just in case', such as: not signing a forward for our first few games (Jackson and Mendez-Laing upfront), and what if Nelson is injured and we don't sign another CB (Nyambe and Bradley both starting).

It's quite clear to me we need to sign another CF who can actually score at Championship level. The bench also highlights the need to get another wide forward in. It also means we won't see an imbalanced midfield. All of which results in our defence not being exposed.