Pre season

3 hours ago, jono said:

I know nothing, not seen anything but I have a gut sporting instinct that Thommo might bloom this season with the right dynamism near him. 

Been thinking the same mate, maybe Knight, Bird & Sibley leaving is taking him out of his comfort zone a bit. New faces in and he has to impress now. At 22 he's not a kid anymore.

What I took from last night. We look like we want to attack. None of the passing sideways/backwards. Yes that could be due to the standard of opposition (who I personally thought gave a good show of themselves). The new signings seemed to fit in nicely and made their mark, which is refreshing.  Thompson has a canon and we should hopefully see more of this from the team as a whole. I love a good shot from distance. Great to see the long term injuries back and picking up where they left off and in some cases (Rooney) looking even better. Overall,  some very good and energetic play. With Ward, Osborne and Washington to come back. Looks like we are not too far off. 

With a little bit of talk around Stepien-Iwumeme coming out of the game last night, Thommo scoring (although this is an important season for his Derby career I reckon), Robinson playing, Brown, it'll be interesting to see if one or more of our youngsters can take up some of those slots we need filling at least in respect to squad depth, or if it's the loan shop window for them!

Hopefully we'll get some positive reports of them, I feel strangely optimistic.

We'll know a bit more after the next couple of friendlies against league opposition, but last night was a positive start with most of the players looking in very good shape for a first game of preseason, remembering always that preseason form doesn't automatically translate into the early competitive games.

12 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Hopefully we'll get some positive reports of them, I feel strangely optimistic.

I don't think it's strange to feel optimistic...its all about expectations.

For years we wanted promotion, then we were falling like a stone into liquidation, and then demanding promotion again. 

For the first time in a very long time, we are stable... and hopes are for consolidation. Maybe a bit of decent football,  new signings who can take a bit of time to bed in as we aren't expecting to be at the top straight off, time can be given to youth etc etc.

Obviously if we have a point after 6 or 7 games that will go out the window! But any semblance of competing in this league will be seen as 'ok' so there should be a period of just enjoying watching the team develop.

Thought Brown and Yates worked well together. Stepien Iwumeme showed some good touches and his pass to Jackson for the goal was excellent, especially as he took it off Collo. Shows confidence. Thommo looked good. Kenzo took a few minutes to find his feet but then showed some of his passing range and vision. Roons looked strong.

Decent showing all round which was all we could expect. Narrow pitch which saw a lot of crosses getting overhit. The rest of our games are on more "normal sized" grounds. Gradual improvement with each game and we could be in for a half decent season.

We looked miles ahead of where we were last season both playing as a team and physically. 

They all looked assured and confident. Thought all the new lads looked decent and good to see Yates and Brown in and around the box every attack.

There was some really good attacks and through balls which on a bigger pitch will cause problems for the opposition. 

Feel much more confident this year than what felt like a bit of a slog last years first pre season friendly 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The world's smallest midfield

Messi Xabi Iniesta etc were big nor were Willie or Archie but they could play - Ebou is a giant !!

Edited by Magicman