Liam Rosenior

chadlad

Posted (edited)

Another mystifying decision by a Championship owner. Accept that Hull did invest in the squad/brought in some big money loans but its hardly like they were blowing the rest of the division out of the water. Rosenior was nominated for Championship manager of the season & they finished a mere 3 points outside the playoffs - a damn sight better than the position he found them in. What makes it worse is that their owner gave Rosenior a new 3 year contract at Christmas - an expensive decision to end early & one I presume has been pre-empted by a bigger name showing interest in the job.

Derby might not be able to compete with some teams in this division financially but we do have the precious commodity of stability & common sense behind the scenes. Some of the decision making at clubs like Birmingham, Watford, Sunderland & now Hull smack of the incoherent kneejerk reactions so beloved of our previous owner & inevitably end in poorer results & decline.

I wish Liam well, a good coach & a good man. He needs to find a Championship gig at a club prepared to take a long term view. I suspect Hull will finish significantly below 7th next term.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

He can’t be surprised. Hull have been one of the biggest spenders in the Championship in the past 12 months. The owners are ambitious. You have to keep pace or you will fall on your sword trying.

He needs a club that he can grow with, a club that can complement him in a sense of where they are in their respective journeys. Hull have designs for something much bigger at a much faster rate obviously.

A better fit for him would be a club like Plymouth. He has a similar playing philosophy to previous coaches there (Schumacher and Lowe) and they are not yet fully established at Championship level and have modest resources. It’s a challenging job but one where it can be stable and mutually beneficial.

OK... You've rattled my cage... 

Plymouth have little resource in comparison to hull, he has a name in the game, a cracking reader of the game and is well thought of as a coach. There's gonna be better offers then Plymouth after the job he's done at hull and his stocks still high. If he waited for a prem team coming down he'd have a tonne of resource to rebuild and have a crack at going up

Plus... Plymouths a s*** hole but that's just my local bias😂

I saw Hull win away at Southampton and they were pretty impressive - high press, fast attacking play. Yes, lots of passing and possession but it was always forward. They could have been more than the two goals up at half time. Second half, defended well when under the cosh.

Surprised at their decision, as much as you can be surprised at anything in football. I still think Rosenior will be a great coach. 

Football is now so short term in its thinking.

46 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I saw Hull win away at Southampton and they were pretty impressive - high press, fast attacking play. Yes, lots of passing and possession but it was always forward. They could have been more than the two goals up at half time. Second half, defended well when under the cosh.

Surprised at their decision, as much as you can be surprised at anything in football. I still think Rosenior will be a great coach. 

Football is now so short term in its thinking.

That's looking at one match in isolation. 

If they were that good they would have finished in the play offs.

3 wins in the last 13 matches, dread to think what this place will be like next season if we return such poor form.

17 hours ago, Day said:

He’s quickly learning football is a ruthless business to be in.

Shame he can’t teach his sides the same thing. 

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If they were that good they would have finished in the play offs.

3 wins in the last 13 matches, dread to think what this place will be like next season if we return such poor form.

3 wins in they’re last 13 matches when in the hunt for play offs and having brought some real quality in in Jan isn’t great but we also know January influx can upset the apple cart as much as improve the team/ squad , hull obviously have owners who are happy to splash the cash in the prem poo or bust gamble and we all know results are the only metric in that scenario,

all useful experience for rosenior who is a decent bloke and has the potential to go on to be a decent manager, only time will tell if he can fulfill that potential 

11 hours ago, sage said:

Or same facts

It’s not the facts, it’s the conclusions you draw from them. This is a sporting arena. It isn’t empirical science, presenting it as such is flawed. 

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah, of course. I mentioned it because, even so, it surprised me a little.

The commonly held perception of Rosenior's football is illustrated here:

5 hours ago, BatRam said:

theyre prob bored to tears with playing 80 minutes of the game in their own box 

and reinforced here:

3 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Interestingly the Hull City owner has just been on Talksport saying he didn’t feel Liam’s style of football would bring success long term and he wants to bring a more attacking, exciting style of play to the team next season. 

17 hours ago, TheTinMan said:

I said on one of the other threads if you've got a squad with loans in from Liverpool and City and permanently signed Philogene amongst others from the Prem and they've got the lad Greaves everyone is supposedly after you need to be getting top 6. It was like us under Lampard, he had everything thrown at it financially to our detriment as we now know. Lampard jumped ship and he'd probably have got longer because of the infamous win against Leeds but with hindsight we should have got top 2 with the likes of Mount and Tomori on top of what was already a decent side (at the time). I feel a bit for Liam because he did ok with us and he did ok with Hull but his CV will show he's been let go twice in quickish succession which doesn't look great for a man starting out in management. 

I don't think that his departures from his first two clubs as manager will hinder him at all in getting a new job. Football owners routinely appoint managers that have 'failed' elsewhere as we can see from the appointments that are made and he has a good story to tell about both clubs - at Derby he was the interim manager only and not appointed over someone with specific qualities and experience of promotion from League 1 and at Hull, a bit like Eustace, he can point to progression during the season and a random decision made by random owners with unrealistic ambitions (as well as a 3 year contract extension 6 months before leaving).  Eustace's reputation was enhanced by Rooney's struggles, with every match, and further enhanced by keeping Blackburn up.

The problem for rookie managers comes when they fail to deliver over a period of time - Gerrard or Lampard or Rooney for example - and for older managers when they start to create a very specific reputation for themselves - Allardyce or Warnock or Pardew for example 

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

I don't think that his departures from his first two clubs as manager will hinder him at all in getting a new job. Football owners routinely appoint managers that have 'failed' elsewhere as we can see from the appointments that are made and he has a good story to tell about both clubs - at Derby he was the interim manager only and not appointed over someone with specific qualities and experience of promotion from League 1 and at Hull, a bit like Eustace, he can point to progression during the season and a random decision made by random owners with unrealistic ambitions (as well as a 3 year contract extension 6 months before leaving).  Eustace's reputation was enhanced by Rooney's struggles, with every match, and further enhanced by keeping Blackburn up.

The problem for rookie managers comes when they fail to deliver over a period of time - Gerrard or Lampard or Rooney for example - and for older managers when they start to create a very specific reputation for themselves - Allardyce or Warnock or Pardew for example 

Eustace only kept Blackburn up because they won away to Leicester on the final day, after the Leicester players had been partying all week, apparently they didn't even train for 4 days that week. I can see Eustace not lasting more than a few weeks or early into the new season without a good start.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, of course. I mentioned it because, even so, it surprised me a little.

The commonly held perception of Rosenior's football is illustrated here:

and reinforced here:

Saw them draw 0 - 0 at Watford (given a free ticket). Hull were the better team, more possession, albeit mostly in their own half as I recall but when they did get forward they were a threat.  My overall view though was they were a possession based team who then looked for an opportunity rather than an overall attacking team who created the opportunity.  It was no surprise when it ended scoreless and if the owner really has decided he wants a Keegan type manager then it's of no surprise Liam's gone. 

On 07/05/2024 at 20:36, Carnero said:

How is the 22/23 wage bill at all relevant to the squad that they've had this season? Typical Maguire.

Because they're the most up-to-date figures. He can't make up figures in the role he's in, he has to present facts. 

Yes it will be slightly higher this season, but it will be around 8-10th.