Retained List

6 hours ago, mike93rh said:

And I'd still release him

Why? 

He is a good player. Injuries meant he never got a clear run at it but I never saw anything to suggest he wasn’t up to it. He had one shakey moment in one of the earlier matches but since then every sub appearance he was solid. It was only the excellent form of Sibley keeping him out by the end. 

I certainly think the back 5 is the area we need to mess with least. The 6 in front need some real reinforcements.

4 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

nobody is mentioning our marquee jan signing,who for one reason or another,failed to force himself into the match day squad,cbt.for me,i think i'd be looking to let go if we could recoup our money

Give the guy a chance, he was not fit, and took a while to settle in! We have seen a little of what he can do, and I'm sure with a full pre season he will be an asset next season.

Any chance to have a dig with some people...

1 minute ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

Give the guy a chance, he was not fit, and took a while to settle in! We have seen a little of what he can do, and I'm sure with a full pre season he will be an asset next season.

Any chance to have a dig with some people...

not having a dig at all,and hope the guy comes good,but he struggled to make the squad in league one,so will he be able to make the jump?i dont know,i just said if i could recoup the money i would and invest it elsewhere

12 hours ago, mike93rh said:

And I'd still release him

How would that free up any funds for a replacement? Unless someone wants to sign him, and he agrees to leave, we'd just be wasting money again, like the bad old days.

On 03/05/2024 at 21:24, Ghost of Clough said:

When I look at these percentile charts, it's clear to me that Brown should have a big role to play next season. He'll provide everything you want from a Warne forward - shooting, creating, and would help with the high press. Weirdly, he's fairly similar to Waghorn (statistically).

Waghorn's shooting stats surprised me. You'll struggle to find many forwards who rank so high across the board in any division. Could he be worth keeping as an emergency CF... essentially resulting in similar to Gayle's involvement?

Screenshot_20240503_205919_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9e2e165375b9859d98267afab7be9759.jpgScreenshot_20240503_210333_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4b1b4ba1c1b5e8ecb47688ee8dc5317b.jpgScreenshot_20240503_210452_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4a2499c14041b67686b4d6e9e96fe5ce.jpgScreenshot_20240503_210635_Chrome.thumb.jpg.522dedcb0bf5da53d93a941e870f930c.jpg

I always find your stats posts interesting but also proves that sometimes stats don't tell the whole story Brown's stats are from the National League and although I'd give Brown a chance more as an option from the bench I'd be quite disappointed if we kept Waggy  as we need better for next season

I keep reading comments that we'll be a counter attacking side next season but I for one would like to see us be a bit more on the front foot, this is mainly because I don't like the idea of sitting behind the ball and being dominated and relying on counter attacks a bit like when Rowett was here, it was negative IMO and used to frustrate me how we gave up so much possession think we can be better than that.

I think its because i prefer a more possession based style of football and the recruitment will be interesting 

We don't have to be a counter attacking side and do think over the course of the season will be difficult to accept if we don't pick up points and  like us to be positive and be more balanced and attacking 

9 hours ago, S8TY said:

I keep reading comments that we'll be a counter attacking side next season but I for one would like to see us be a bit more on the front foot, this is mainly because I don't like the idea of sitting behind the ball and being dominated and relying on counter attacks a bit like when Rowett was here, it was negative IMO and used to frustrate me how we gave up so much possession think we can be better than that.

I think its because i prefer a more possession based style of football and the recruitment will be interesting 

We don't have to be a counter attacking side and do think over the course of the season will be difficult to accept if we don't pick up points and  like us to be positive and be more balanced and attacking 

Being a newly promoted side with the type of player we have trying to play possession based football would be a thankless task. Our squad has been constructed to defend, set pressing traps and move forward at pace. It can actually be quite fun to watch when executed with the correct personnel. For example watching Luton in the premier league (I know they’ll be relegated) or Coventry who aren’t a possession based side and also set up with 5 at the back. 

Posted (edited)

Sibley’s contract was signed as an 18 year-old goal scoring #10 in The Championship.

His current role in the squad is to fill in at left-back. He’s done so in League One.

It would pain the romanticist in me but… unless he agree to a drop in wages I’d let him go

Edited by cannable

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Being a newly promoted side with the type of player we have trying to play possession based football would be a thankless task. Our squad has been constructed to defend, set pressing traps and move forward at pace. It can actually be quite fun to watch when executed with the correct personnel. For example watching Luton in the premier league (I know they’ll be relegated) or Coventry who aren’t a possession based side and also set up with 5 at the back. 

I think if Warne had his way and everything fell into place, we’d be the Leicester title winning sides if 13/14 and 15/16

They weren’t a counter-attacking side, they would just overwhelm you with pace and energy

It’s a bit of false truth that they won the Premier League in 15/16 by playing on the break, they blew teams away for the first half of the season. It was only after the New Year Ranieri realised ‘s***, we can actually do this’ and made them a bit more rigid.

6 hours ago, cannable said:

Sibley’s contract was signed as an 18 year-old goal scoring #10 in The Championship.

His current role in the squad is to fill in at left-back. He’s done so in League One.

It would pain the romanticist in me but… unless he agree to a drop in wages I’d let him go

That's a great way to lose any compensation we'd be due, though you aren't the first poster who's proposed the club should throw money away just to "get rid" of a player they don't rate.

6 hours ago, cannable said:

we'd be mad to let Sibs go imo, can't just let players like him go. He may not be a starter but imo he done very well playing in a position he's not used to. I wouldn't have thought he'd be on massive money anyway and he's proven he can score in the championship.

22 hours ago, TINMANTED said:

not having a dig at all,and hope the guy comes good,but he struggled to make the squad in league one,so will he be able to make the jump?i dont know,i just said if i could recoup the money i would and invest it elsewhere

He was carrying an injury when we signed him. Played well against Pompey giving us a glimpse of what he can do. Given rest now to get fully over the injury and then a full pre season should see him back to his best. If he's as good for us as he was for Charlton, no way should we let go.

Back to the title of the thread, it seems the retained list will be published either later this week or early next. Once the lads get back from Vegas, those being let go will be told exactly that. Those PW wishes to keep will be offered new contracts. Once it's all sorted, the list will be published. Quite likely the let go list with the addendum that players x, y and z have been offered new contracts....

Is it confirmed that Wildsmith didn’t join the lads on the Vegas jaunt ?

If so then that would definitely suggest he’s on the move…. I think Johansson is probably as good but will cost us- mind u, JW would now require another signing on fee if he did stay with us- and that could be expensive.

Several players haven’t been seen in the sneak vids and postings from Vegas… anyone else we definitely know didn’t go !!?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Is it confirmed that Wildsmith didn’t join the lads on the Vegas jaunt ?

If so then that would definitely suggest he’s on the move…. I think Johansson is probably as good but will cost us- mind u, JW would now require another signing on fee if he did stay with us- and that could be expensive.

Several players haven’t been seen in the sneak vids and postings from Vegas… anyone else we definitely know didn’t go !!?

I don’t know that their presence on the vegas trip should be a direct indicator of their futures. Hourihane, Collins, Sibley, Thompson, Smith, Bird, Adams are all there and as it stands aren’t going to be Derby players next year. 

From what I can see Waghorn, Ward, Wildsmith, Forsyth, Loach, Fornah, John-Jules, Nyambe and Barkhuizen are missing from this group shot that was shared;

IMG_2637.jpeg

Top row L-R; Cashin, Bradley, Elder, Wilson, Collins, CBT, Smith, Nelson, NML.

Bottom row L-R; Washington, Vickers, Sibley, Hourihane, Bird, Thommo, Adams.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I don’t know that their presence on the vegas trip should be a direct indicator of their futures. Hourihane, Collins, Sibley, Thompson, Smith, Bird, Adams are all there and as it stands aren’t going to be Derby players next year. 

From what I can see Waghorn, Ward, Wildsmith, Forsyth, Loach, Fornah, John-Jules, Nyambe and Barkhuizen are missing from this group shot that was shared;

IMG_2637.jpeg

Top row L-R; Cashin, Bradley, Elder, Wilson, Collins, CBT, Smith, Nelson, NML.

Bottom row L-R; Washington, Vickers, Sibley, Hourihane, Bird, Thommo, Adams.

I wish it was a direct indicator.

Bird's there...

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

3 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

we'd be mad to let Sibs go imo, can't just let players like him go. He may not be a starter but imo he done very well playing in a position he's not used to. I wouldn't have thought he'd be on massive money anyway and he's proven he can score in the championship.

I believe he's on a decent whack as he got a new contract in September 2020 after his emergence into the first team as a goalscoring number 10 (hattrick v Millwall, bids from Wolves etc) & this being at a time when Morris was still reasonably engaged in the club. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54192055

That said, I've been impressed with him at left wing back & given that is a position that fits into Warne's ideal formation, I would also be offering him a contract. Feels like he's finally found a position that suits his skillset & given his age, I'd expect him to improve over the coming years too. We would have to match his current wages as a minimum but given the increased revenue in the Championship, I think that would be feasible for someone as a first team starter.