Retained List

10 minutes ago, richinspain said:

If we can get better, on a free, and on similar wages, then yes.

We can pay a bit more now. I'd suggest next season our keeper will have more to do thab this season. We want a very good one.

25 minutes ago, sage said:

I'd say there are 4 better keepers out there on a free. 

Interested to know who you think those 4 are?

Can't see Wildsmith staying as a no.2 keeper.

Just now, sage said:

We can pay a bit more now. I'd suggest next season our keeper will have more to do thab this season. We want a very good one.

I'm firmly in the Arthur Cox "as soon as I sign a player I'm looking for his replacement" camp, but I do honestly believe that money on wages, assuming Wildsmith isn't asking for too much, could be better spent.

4 minutes ago, richinspain said:

If we can get better, on a free, and on similar wages, then yes.

Matt Ryan and Marek Rodak are probably the two best keepers avaialbe who would be realistic for Championship clubs, but I would expect both to want more than we'll be willing to pay, especially Rodak. Rodak spent 2 years on loan at Rotherham, so Warne could potentially sway him to come here.
A more realistic choice would be Walton, who had 23 clean sheets for Ipswich in 22/23 and 14 the year before. He also had 21 clean sheets in 80 Championship games for Wigan and Blackburn (plus 19 in 31 L1 games for Wigan)
I've always been impressed by Joel Pereira (Reading) on the rare occasions I've seen him. He only broke into Reading's side for the final 9 games of the season.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Interested to know who you think those 4 are?

Can't see Wildsmith staying as a no.2 keeper.

Me too (I haven't a scooby who's available TBH)

Edited by Crewton
Just seen GoC post, cheers

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

I really don't get this thing with Wildsmith. He's not the perfect keeper by any means, but he has just kept 20 clean sheets in a season. Yes, a lot of that is down to the players in front of him, but he still made some very important saves to keep the score at nil. Many seem to remember more his mistakes rather than his saves. If we were looking to sign a keeper who had just kept 20 clean sheets in a season in the league below us then most people would be all over it.

Don't forget, he did a couple of bad kicks from hand against Cambridge, so we'd best get rid....🙄

6 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Don't forget, he did a couple of bad kicks from hand against Cambridge, so we'd best get rid....🙄

It's not getting rid. It's improving the team. We will need to improve for the coming season. Why wouldn't you sign a better keeper if one was available?

3 minutes ago, sage said:

It's not getting rid. It's improving the team. We will need to improve for the coming season. Why wouldn't you sign a better keeper if one was available?

"I'd release Smith, Wildsmith, Waghorn, Hourihane and Gayle." I'm being pedantic but, isn't releasing someone getting rid?

I'm not against signing a better 'keeper, I guess I'm just a little irritated (I'm sleep-deprived) with a few vocal posters who have decided Wildsmith (L1 Golden Glove winner) is crap and are very sure that there are better options just waiting around to join Derby! Christian Walton or Marek Rodák could well be an upgrade, who knows. Neither of them played this season, and that's typical of the free agent goalkeepers. Do they even want to sign up? Is a new goalie a good use of limited resources? They'd certainly be good signings if Wildsmith decided to leave.

It's just my opinion, but I think we should keep arguably one of our best 4-5 performers over the last 2 seasons.

1 minute ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

"I'd release Smith, Wildsmith, Waghorn, Hourihane and Gayle." I'm being pedantic but, isn't releasing someone getting rid?

I'm not against signing a better 'keeper, I guess I'm just a little irritated (I'm sleep-deprived) with a few vocal posters who have decided Wildsmith (L1 Golden Glove winner) is crap and are very sure that there are better options just waiting around to join Derby! Christian Walton or Marek Rodák could well be an upgrade, who knows. Neither of them played this season, and that's typical of the free agent goalkeepers. Do they even want to sign up? Is a new goalie a good use of limited resources? They'd certainly be good signings if Wildsmith decided to leave.

It's just my opinion, but I think we should keep arguably one of our best 4-5 performers over the last 2 seasons.

I'd release him if we found a better keeper.

He is out of contract and Vickers isn't. If it was the other way round and I would release Vickers.

It's football. You upgrade your team when you can.

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Matt Ryan and Marek Rodak are probably the two best keepers avaialbe who would be realistic for Championship clubs, but I would expect both to want more than we'll be willing to pay, especially Rodak. Rodak spent 2 years on loan at Rotherham, so Warne could potentially sway him to come here.
A more realistic choice would be Walton, who had 23 clean sheets for Ipswich in 22/23 and 14 the year before. He also had 21 clean sheets in 80 Championship games for Wigan and Blackburn (plus 19 in 31 L1 games for Wigan)
I've always been impressed by Joel Pereira (Reading) on the rare occasions I've seen him. He only broke into Reading's side for the final 9 games of the season.

I like the first 3 names you mentioned, but I’m not overly convinced on how possible it would be.

Matt Ryan and Marek Rodak would probably be wanting a wage that is on the higher percentile for gks in the championship, whereas with Walton I’d understand if he wanted to be a number 2 gk in the premier league if Ipswich don’t mess up tomorrow. Otherwise I’d be happy with any of them if we can get them for a sensible wage.

Wildsmith is one to keep, in my opinion. Anything else would seem counter-intuitive.

He’s been part of a strong defence and kept twenty clean sheets. He’s been first choice for us for the past two years. He deserves a shot at being a Championship regular. Crucially too he won’t demand the same wages as keepers like Rodak and Ryan with higher level experience.

OK, yes, upgrade on players when you can. But in our position we’ll need to prioritise where money is spent and goalkeeper would not be a top priority.

Surely if we can extend Wildsmith’s deal and spend funds elsewhere, it makes the most sense?

18 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

If Wildsmith played for say Portsmouth and had just won the golden glove with a clean sheet every other game, is at a good age and was being released, Derby fans would be saying straight away we should sign him up....

Follow that by he is about to come into the peak age for a GK. I’m trying to get my head around why people want him gone. He has saved us a lot more times than he has cost us.

2 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Estonian keeper Karl Hein contract runs out at Arsenal, even if its extended a cheeky loan would be nice! 

Heiiiiiiiin

Has he played for them 😊

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Wildsmith is one to keep, in my opinion. Anything else would seem counter-intuitive.

He’s been part of a strong defence and kept twenty clean sheets. He’s been first choice for us for the past two years. He deserves a shot at being a Championship regular. Crucially too he won’t demand the same wages as keepers like Rodak and Ryan with higher level experience.

OK, yes, upgrade on players when you can. But in our position we’ll need to prioritise where money is spent and goalkeeper would not be a top priority.

Surely if we can extend Wildsmith’s deal and spend funds elsewhere, it makes the most sense?

I wonder what Mr Clough would say about that.

GK hasn't seemed like a high priority position this season, but they are far more likely to be tested next season.

It all depends on who we can get in. If we can get someone significantly better but they cost £6k more a week, then so be it. 

When I look at these percentile charts, it's clear to me that Brown should have a big role to play next season. He'll provide everything you want from a Warne forward - shooting, creating, and would help with the high press. Weirdly, he's fairly similar to Waghorn (statistically).

Waghorn's shooting stats surprised me. You'll struggle to find many forwards who rank so high across the board in any division. Could he be worth keeping as an emergency CF... essentially resulting in similar to Gayle's involvement?

Screenshot_20240503_205919_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9e2e165375b9859d98267afab7be9759.jpgScreenshot_20240503_210333_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4b1b4ba1c1b5e8ecb47688ee8dc5317b.jpgScreenshot_20240503_210452_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4a2499c14041b67686b4d6e9e96fe5ce.jpgScreenshot_20240503_210635_Chrome.thumb.jpg.522dedcb0bf5da53d93a941e870f930c.jpg