Playoffs,come on Oxford

ziggazagga

8 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Can’t imagine where he gets it from, Angie 😆

Doesn’t have his old man’s pulling power!

I worked with someone years ago who took her nieces to Jodrell Bank.  They had some competition for the kids, adults helping, and one of the problems to solve was putting planets in the solar system in correct order and quickest got a prize.  From behind was shouting and much urgency with anger at finishing second.  She turned around and it was Alex and a couple of kids.    

8 hours ago, Tombo said:

Bolton pushed us all the way, nobody else really

Nobody pushed Portsmouth, us included. They went top in September and never budged an inch. Nobody laid a glove on them, let alone Peterborough of all teams

People made fun of our runners up trophy but I promise you Darren old chum, they don't give out trophies for giving it a jolly good try

Have a nice season next year. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bloke and club. Really weird bunch over there

Might be wrong here but think once we reached 2nd place we were never overtaken either.

Valuable lessons there about counting games in hand as 3 points.

1 minute ago, Scott129 said:

Who we having from Peterborough then?

Probably out of our price range but I've always been impressed by Randall. I think he ran the show when they beat us 3-2 as well.

Yes Randall was great that day. Looked like a small technical player linking defence and attack. A possible Bird or Hourihanne replacement if we can afford him.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Might be wrong here but think once we reached 2nd place we were never overtaken either.

Valuable lessons there about counting games in hand as 3 points.

Very true, although we reached 2nd much later in the season and stayed there, aside from 1 week I believe when Bolton overtook us

We pushed Bolton all the way, and pushed them fully over in March to overtake. Then we stayed there.

Peterborough were also around somewhere, making up the numbers.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Very true, although we reached 2nd much later in the season and stayed there, aside from 1 week I believe when Bolton overtook us

We pushed Bolton all the way, and pushed them fully over in March to overtake. Then we stayed there.

Peterborough were also around somewhere, making up the numbers.

We hit 2nd spot on 3rd February and, from what I can see, never relinquished that place between then and the end of the season.

Portsmouth hit 1st place on 19th September and were 6 points ahead of us at that time, the final margin was 5 points.

Edited by G STAR RAM

13 hours ago, DiggerB said:

The less likeable Ferguson as magnanimous in defeat as always……

“We pushed Derby and Portsmouth all the way”. By finishing 8 points behind us, eh Dazzler!

And his comment about a clear penalty for handball.  It clearly hit the defenders head.  His dad’s arrogance without the talent.

15 hours ago, DiggerB said:

The less likeable Ferguson as magnanimous in defeat as always……

“We pushed Derby and Portsmouth all the way”. By finishing 8 points behind us, eh Dazzler!

They pushed us so far that they even gave up with 2 games to go despite being within mathematical reach of automatics because they knew they weren’t good enough.

Still, pretty close though.

It leads to a question that needs to be asked, ' is it worth going all the way in the Bristol Street Motors Trophy'?

Bolton last season and Peterborough this season, both won the trophy but lost out in the play offs, did the extra games and the distraction of a Wembley final affect their final points total and/or their performances in the play offs?

Peterborough seemed to play within themselves last night. Almost like they didn’t want to go full tilt in case Oxford on the break. By the time they twisted their arm at 70 minutes Oxford looked comfy and happy to keep getting ‘injured’ every couple of minutes. 

Think Bolton will win the final.

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

We hit 2nd spot on 3rd February and, from what I can see, never relinquished that place between then and the end of the season.

Portsmouth hit 1st place on 19th September and were 6 points ahead of us at that time, the final margin was 5 points.

Very nearly early but not quite.

Bolton went above us after they drew at Barnsley on Tuesday 5th March (Bolton 70 points, Derby 69 points). We didn't play, they had a game in hand. We retook second place on the Saturday when we won away at Bristol and Bolton only drew at Exeter (Derby 72 points, Bolton 71 points). A week later we beat Bolton and, as they say, the rest is history.

On 09/05/2024 at 09:13, therealhantsram said:

Yes Randall was great that day. Looked like a small technical player linking defence and attack. A possible Bird or Hourihanne replacement if we can afford him.

But only if we also sign David Hopkirk from Dumbarton.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

But only if we also sign David Hopkirk from Dumbarton.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Obvious gag for us geriatrics.

... And they already have the Black & White DNA, yoof!  😁

EDIT:
* Don't panic kids... I'm referencing clothes, not skin colour!  👀

Edited by Mucker1884

On 09/05/2024 at 14:26, Kernow said:

They pushed us so far that they even gave up with 2 games to go despite being within mathematical reach of automatics because they knew they weren’t good enough.

One of the most jaundiced calls by a football manager I can remember. Just screams, 'even I don't think you're good enough' to his players and 'we've already shat the bed' to every other team.

On 09/05/2024 at 14:26, Kernow said:

One of the most jaundiced calls by a football manager I can ever recall. Just screams, 'even I don't think you're good enough' to his own players and 'we've already shat the bed' to every other team.