David Clowes

"Clowes’ humility and reluctance to be the star of Derby’s revival has meant he has rarely undertaken media duties and does not impose on Warne. Such is his unassuming nature that in the build-up to the final game of the season, Clowes made a rare visit to the training ground and was stopped by one of the players who asked what he did at Derby.

“Some other owners would have been devastated,” Warne said. “David replied in the nicest way saying he owned the club. He wasn’t embarrassed by that.”

https://theathletic.com/5449568/2024/04/28/derby-county-promoted-paul-warne-david-clowes/

12 minutes ago, Crewton said:

"Clowes’ humility and reluctance to be the star of Derby’s revival has meant he has rarely undertaken media duties and does not impose on Warne. Such is his unassuming nature that in the build-up to the final game of the season, Clowes made a rare visit to the training ground and was stopped by one of the players who asked what he did at Derby.

“Some other owners would have been devastated,” Warne said. “David replied in the nicest way saying he owned the club. He wasn’t embarrassed by that.”

https://theathletic.com/5449568/2024/04/28/derby-county-promoted-paul-warne-david-clowes/

Also called Paul Warne to  ask if it was ok for him to stop by at Moor Farm.

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Sorry, I've come into this conversation late. Are we talking about Brit Vegas again?

In fairness, I bet MM knew more than Maxwell.

Or Chris Kirchner.

He perhaps did, but was not a derby fan allegedly.

Just when I thought I’d got past the crying stage.

he’ll always think about his old seat and the people he sat with.

at the risk of sounding like an emotional wreck, Saturday was definitely a time of thinking of those no longer with us. Friends, family, ex players and managers. 

it’s more than a game of football, that’s for sure 

Ps. When do the pre season start! 

On 22/04/2024 at 18:21, DavesaRam said:

You are correct, Kathcairns, the word is that he allegedly knew absolutely nothing about football at all, although word is that he tried to carry an air of being keen on football.

The fact that when he brought in Cocu he spoke of reading a study that said he (Cocu) had promoted more youngsters to the first team than any other manager in the top 5 European divisions. The study?  A sidebar on Cocu’s placement in FourFourTwo’s top 50 managers of the year… 

I know hindsight is 20/20, but he talked b******* from day one

21 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Also called Paul Warne to  ask if it was ok for him to stop by at Moor Farm.

Love this.  The guy owns the friggin building, can do whatever takes his fancy, but still shows the humility to think he might be disturbing the work force if he was to pop in… 

Class act 👌🏻

21 minutes ago, Nishfan said:

Just when I thought I’d got past the crying stage.

he’ll always think about his old seat and the people he sat with.

at the risk of sounding like an emotional wreck, Saturday was definitely a time of thinking of those no longer with us. Friends, family, ex players and managers. 

it’s more than a game of football, that’s for sure 

Ps. When do the pre season start! 

Here here.

I shed more than a few tears for my late father, who would have loved every minute of the day. Fortunately I had my mum beside me in his stead.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Over the last couple of seasons, I’ve got used to watching matches from my seat in the Directors Box. The emotions are just as strong, the pain when we lose is just as intense and the pleasure of victory just as great.

But I tell you what, there is just the odd occasion when I’d like to be back in my old seat, shouting and singing, surrounded by passion.

Saturday was one of those days!

Gotta.  Love.  The.  Guy.

🐏

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

The fact that when he brought in Cocu he spoke of reading a study that said he (Cocu) had promoted more youngsters to the first team than any other manager in the top 5 European divisions. The study?  A sidebar on Cocu’s placement in FourFourTwo’s top 50 managers of the year… 

I’m glad you posted that as I’ve tried numerous times to find a link.  I remember reading it and Mel Morris talking about Cocu’s appointment on Talk Sport.  I’ve got a feeling he also said that Cocu was ranked as the 14th best coach in Europe.  Again, that was from the same FFT feature about the top coaches and managers in Europe.

Something else I’ve often looked for, but been unable to find, was the press conference from when Pearson was appointed.  I’ve got a feeling it was on as I was driving home from work on a Friday evening.  MM was asked his thoughts about Pearson’s style of football and he responded with something like it was uncanny how similar their views were.

As you say, hindsight and all of that.

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Remember when there was a clamour for Rooney to be given the Freedom of Derby??  This man really deserves it.  He stepped up when others couldn’t, or wouldn’t.   In doing so, he paid local business more than the minimum amount.  He recognised the importance of DCFC on the fans and the community.  He saved our club 🐏.

The question is, 'where do we go from here?'

Under DC we will hope to have sustainable growth over the next few years, leading to promotion to the Premier.

However, we football fans are an impatient lot, would we prefer a mega rich foreign owner to come in and take over the club, in the hope that they will buy instant success?

Personally, I hope that DC will be rewarded by us fans with patience, but I wonder if it will be possible in modern day mega bucks football.

5 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The question is, 'where do we go from here?'

Under DC we will hope to have sustainable growth over the next few years, leading to promotion to the Premier.

However, some football fans are an impatient lot, would we prefer a mega rich foreign owner to come in and take over the club, in the hope that they will buy instant success?

Personally, I hope that DC will be rewarded by us fans with patience, but I wonder if it will be possible in modern day mega bucks football.

Ftfy